Sponsored by:

Engine questions about 997.2 C2S / GTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 06:41 PM
maekwl
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by CAVU
Absolutely have this done by a shop or someone who knows what they are doing.

Good advice by all.

I would ask the the shop to pull the oil filter cartridge and replace with new, with the car owner's knowledge. Ask the shop to cut the filter cartridge's ends off to inspect the pleats for debris.
Thank you, this is great to know how to actually test. so the theory would be if lots of debris then the oil was not changed enough.

I think the place doing the ppi/dme is legit https://www.yelp.com/biz/hd-motorwerks-glendale-2 , thank you for reinforcing the importance.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:28 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by maekwl
Thank you, this is great to know how to actually test. so the theory would be if lots of debris then the oil was not changed enough.

I think the place doing the ppi/dme is legit https://www.yelp.com/biz/hd-motorwerks-glendale-2 , thank you for reinforcing the importance.
I believe the reason for checking for debris in the oil is it’s an indicator of something failing in the engine more so than an indication of oil change intervals.
The following users liked this post:
maekwl (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 08:43 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
I believe the reason for checking for debris in the oil is it’s an indicator of something failing in the engine more so than an indication of oil change intervals.
That is my reasoning: Debris.
The following 2 users liked this post by CAVU:
maekwl (03-21-2021), TerrestrialFlyte (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 09:24 PM
maekwl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TerrestrialFlyte
forgive my ignorance, failing as in literally wearing away and showing up as debris in the filter?

thanks again both of you.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:14 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 329 Posts

forgive my ignorance, failing as in literally wearing away and showing up as debris in the filter?

thanks again both of you.
Yes. For instance there was a recent post where a member found a few pieces of debris in the filter and he was trying to figure what it was to aid in determining what was failing internally with the engine. He knew the pieces were non-ferrous so that eliminates certain components. He then was trying to determine if it was non-ferrous metal or actually plastic/polymer, which could be a chain guide or something. I’m not that familiar with the intricacies of the engine, so hopefully someone with more experience can explain it better.

Edit: Here’s the thread I was referencing:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ter-today.html

Last edited by TerrestrialFlyte; 03-21-2021 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:55 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,016 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
This.

My UOA reports show no oil should be run beyond about 5k miles and I've seen the additive package in Mobil 1 break down to a much thinner viscosity in as little as 3k miles in my own 997. 10k miles is a ridiculous suggestion from a manufacturer of a high performance engine.
Just curious. What oil do you use in your 997's?
Old 03-22-2021, 02:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,336 Likes on 4,037 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Just curious. What oil do you use in your 997's?
Driven DT40 5W/40 in the wife's normally aspirated 997 C2S and Driven FR50 5W/50 in the supercharged 997 3.8L for the increased film strength from the higher running temperatures due to the increased stresses from the forced induction.

Driven DT40 in the 650 HP DFI Cayenne Turbo S.

Driven DT50 in the 914 & 928s, and Malibu Wakeboard boat.

Wife's - these cover 5 years and 40k miles. Some of the DT40s were the older formulation and why the Moly level is lower, but you can see how the viscosity of the DT40 holds up better than the Motul with DT40 #s coming in between 67-71 (even at 7,800 miles on one change) and the Motul coming in at 65.5-66.3. With both oils starting as 5W/40, the lower hot viscosity of the Motul shows it's additive package is breaking down earlier and the oil is shearing to a thinner viscosity. This is likely because of the A40 Porsche approved additive package that has lower Zinc & Phosphorous levels and no Moly.

Mobil 1 was in the Cayenne when I bought it. Had been serviced recently but I changed it at 5,000 miles and you can see how poorly that compares to the DT40 I've been running since with higher wear metals, especially the Iron & Copper, and much lower viscosity. It will be getting it's next one in the next 2 weeks as I've just hit 5,000 miles again. I'm interested to see with this same mileage interval, but longer elapsed time if I see an uptick in the acidity of the sample from the extra 6 months. The car hadn't left the garage since August until we took it to TN this weekend.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:58 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Driven DT40 5W/40 in the wife's normally aspirated 997 C2S and Driven FR50 5W/50 in the supercharged 997 3.8L for the increased film strength from the higher running temperatures due to the increased stresses from the forced induction.

Driven DT40 in the 650 HP DFI Cayenne Turbo S.

Driven DT50 in the 914 & 928s, and Malibu Wakeboard boat.

Wife's - these cover 5 years and 40k miles. Some of the DT40s were the older formulation and why the Moly level is lower, but you can see how the viscosity of the DT40 holds up better than the Motul with DT40 #s coming in between 67-71 (even at 7,800 miles on one change) and the Motul coming in at 65.5-66.3. With both oils starting as 5W/40, the lower hot viscosity of the Motul shows it's additive package is breaking down earlier and the oil is shearing to a thinner viscosity. This is likely because of the A40 Porsche approved additive package that has lower Zinc & Phosphorous levels and no Moly.

Mobil 1 was in the Cayenne when I bought it. Had been serviced recently but I changed it at 5,000 miles and you can see how poorly that compares to the DT40 I've been running since with higher wear metals, especially the Iron & Copper, and much lower viscosity. It will be getting it's next one in the next 2 weeks as I've just hit 5,000 miles again. I'm interested to see with this same mileage interval, but longer elapsed time if I see an uptick in the acidity of the sample from the extra 6 months. The car hadn't left the garage since August until we took it to TN this weekend.

Wow.....that's a mouthful of data to sort through. But thank you. I'm due for an oil change so if you had my GTS what would you put in it? My guess would be what you put in your wife's C2S....Driven DT40 5W/40. Or would you adjust for the warmer temperatures in SW Florida compared to your SC location?
Old 03-23-2021, 08:44 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,336 Likes on 4,037 Posts

Wow.....that's a mouthful of data to sort through. But thank you. I'm due for an oil change so if you had my GTS what would you put in it? My guess would be what you put in your wife's C2S....Driven DT40 5W/40. Or would you adjust for the warmer temperatures in SW Florida compared to your SC location?
If you lived where it was cooler I'd use their DI40 which is a 0W/40 but being in South FL and having read the descriptions of how you drive the car where it's not below 2k rplm since you drive it In manual mode, then if say the DT40 should be great. If you see oil pressure numbers that are lower than you like, you could move to the FR50 5W/50 which is what I'm running in my silver car for the higher film strength, but I'd start with the DT40.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:04 AM
maekwl
Rennlist Member

Petza914, thank you for this great oil info. Are you an "oil scientist" or is this a service you send your used oil to?

Last edited by maekwl; 03-23-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:06 AM
maekwl
Rennlist Member

I got the PPI, DME, bore scope and compression leak test results.

The mechanic said there is some very minimal bore scoring but the compression/leak test all came out really good and the car only had over revs in 1 and 2 ranges.

Im wondering if this is a reason not to buy the car? Im waiting for the pictures my self.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2021, 02:18 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

If you lived where it was cooler I'd use their DI40 which is a 0W/40 but being in South FL and having read the descriptions of how you drive the car where it's not below 2k rplm since you drive it In manual mode, then if say the DT40 should be great. If you see oil pressure numbers that are lower than you like, you could move to the FR50 5W/50 which is what I'm running in my silver car for the higher film strength, but I'd start with the DT40.
Perfect. Many thanks.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:29 AM
Presto
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 37 Posts

do you have the UOA done on your car running the FR50? I'm considering changing from motul to driven oils and i live in an extremely hot climate and do drive the car hard once its warmed up. Maybe the FR50 might work well for me.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:02 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

I got the PPI, DME, bore scope and compression leak test results.

The mechanic said there is some very minimal bore scoring but the compression/leak test all came out really good and the car only had over revs in 1 and 2 ranges.

Im wondering if this is a reason not to buy the car? Im waiting for the pictures my self.

Thanks!
Good question that I don't have a good answer to but I'm sure somebody else will take a stab at it. I'd be curious to know too. So once "minimal" bore scoring has been detected, what are the odds of it staying minimal vs. getting worse? I hope I'm wrong but maybe there's no good answer to this question since it seems like it would be based on an educated guess.

For what it's worth, I would personally pass on this car. My uneducated guess is that bore scoring once detected is a sign that something isn't in harmony between piston and cylinder in one or more cylinders and I can't think of a scenario where all of a sudden it would get better or just go away all by itself.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:27 AM
maekwl
Rennlist Member

Good question that I don't have a good answer to but I'm sure somebody else will take a stab at it. I'd be curious to know too. So once "minimal" bore scoring has been detected, what are the odds of it staying minimal vs. getting worse? I hope I'm wrong but maybe there's no good answer to this question since it seems like it would be based on an educated guess.

For what it's worth, I would personally pass on this car. My uneducated guess is that bore scoring once detected is a sign that something isn't in harmony between piston and cylinder in one or more cylinders and I can't think of a scenario where all of a sudden it would get better or just go away all by itself.
I passed the below info plus all the DME output/screens to 2 local Porsche independents and both said 'there will be slight amounts of bore scoring on most engines, just so long as its not grooves' and things like 'drive and maintain this car and it will be fine'

The shop its at now has a record of .5 quarts low after 4k miles.

I could post the DME report if anyone is 'interested' ?

Any thoughts on the below.

Over revs
Range 1=(1919) Range 2=(52) Range 3-6=0

-Compression Cyl#1=(232psi) Cyl#2=(231psi) Cyl#3=(230psi) Cyl#4=(229psi) Cyl#5=(229psi) Cyl#6=(229psi)

-Leakage @100psi Cyl#1=(1-2%) Cyl#2=(4%) Cyl#3=(1-2%) Cyl#4=(2-3%) Cyl#5=(4%) Cyl#6=(3%)

No major differences noted in readings

Not pock marks, carbon that was knocked off from the bore scope.

Quick Reply: Engine questions about 997.2 C2S / GTS