Sponsored by:

Oil additives are a scam

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 11:23 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I want to see the person at a dealership, or a warranty adjuster that can determine from an oil sample if the oil was an A40, or not. The same goes from the UOA labs, half the time the generic guys can't even tell when I write the wrong oil on the report on purpose (since I don't want them to know what I am doing).
Based on that, it sounds like what one potentially would need in the event an oil / oil change was questioned by a warranty adjuster, would be a receipt for an A40 oil...

Good information.

Old 03-18-2021, 11:26 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
I love oil and additive debates it reminds me of high school arguing about whose girl friend is "better" and learning a few things along the way about the other guys girl friend !!
Originally Posted by Ironman88
And now - let the festivities begin!

No joke.

The following users liked this post:
rileyracing1 (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 10:40 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 546 Posts

OK, which oil with the girlfriends?
Old 03-19-2021, 10:45 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

I love oil and additive debates it reminds me of high school arguing about whose girl friend is "better" and learning a few things along the way about the other guys girl friend !!
In HS, I skipped the girls, and went straight for my math teacher. She was lovely.
rileyracing1 (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 11:05 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
In HS, I skipped the girls, and went straight for my math teacher. She was lovely.
Straight to the source of knowledge .... I like that ...at the time I wasn't that refined ....

In grade 8 I was invited to do math a couple of times at this one teachers house but I never went .... I found out many years later from quite a few of my friends what that really meant....... it went right over me at the time ... I regret that from some of the stories they told me and why is it always the math teachers ?? Needless to say she retired with "full honors" and without any repercussions ..... Different times!
Old 03-19-2021, 01:22 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 229 Posts

Straight to the source of knowledge .... I like that ...at the time I wasn't that refined ....

In grade 8 I was invited to do math a couple of times at this one teachers house but I never went .... I found out many years later from quite a few of my friends what that really meant....... it went right over me at the time ... I regret that from some of the stories they told me and why is it always the math teachers ?? Needless to say she retired with "full honors" and without any repercussions ..... Different times!
This resonates and informs my weak math skills. I foolishly tended toward the English teachers...
rileyracing1 (03-23-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 11:18 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Update!!!

Just spoke to my buddy at Ford..... chatted about additives etc... he had an interesting perspective. First some facts: Ford pays out 2 Billion Dollars annually in warranty claims!!! That is for trucks and cars combinded. About half of that is for powertrain claims. Yes, two billion dollars per year!!! Yowza.

So his perspective is that if Ford can put a tiny bit of better oil in a car they are highly motivated to do so. It pays back directly in profit. Real money. He does not believe these additives or alternative oils do anything.... if it did, Ford would put it in their cars. Not to be nice to us, but because it returns big bucks in savings to them. So according to my friend.... additives and alternative oils are .....

So, now that I know this, am I going to keep putting LiquiMoly 5W-40 with Ceratec in my car? Um... yes. Why? I dunno.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-20-2021, 01:58 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
So, now that I know this, am I going to keep putting LiquiMoly 5W-40 with Ceratec in my car? Um... yes. Why? I dunno.
If you do not drive daily a solid lubricant film (Ceratec, Mos2) mitigates cold start damage.On a high mileage car I would prefer MoS2 to Ceratec.

Quick Reply: Oil additives are a scam