997.2 C2 Transmission Seal Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 06:18 PM
eddy_911
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 997.2 C2 Transmission Seal Leaking

Hi All,

I recently purchased my 2009 997.2 late last year. The car is a C2 manual transmission with high mileage (130K) but it was serviced regularly (even the 130K service was done) by a Porsche dealer.

Prior to picking up the car, I had a PPI done and it did find a transmission seal leak (it was a very slow leak per the shop) and I was quoted about $540 to replace the transmission shaft output seal.

I had the car for about 1.5 months and recently noticed a small area with oil on the garage floor. I put the car on ramps this afternoon and took some picture and trying to see how bad this is.

I wanted to ask based on the 2nd and 3rd pictures, does it look terrible or could it be something else other than the trans seal?

When I bring it to the shop, I plan to have them replace the trans fluid with PTX gear oil (since getting into first and 2nd is challenging when cold) and replace the engine mounts.

It has been snowing quite a bit here and wanted to wait until no more salt on the road, do you think I should get to the car to the shop right away or can I wait until warmer weather? Also, I am going to start to monitor how much fluid is leaking on the floor. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:23 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

I'm not 100% sure, but looks like maybe someone has been in that side of the transmission before since there is uneven orange sealant coming out between the side plate and transmission body.

That leak doesn't look too bad, but it is slinging a bit and why the half-shaft is covered with a light film of oil wjth dirt adhered to it.

If having it done at a service shop and not diy, I don't see the point in waiting for warmer weather unless the car is put up for the winter, in which case it doesn't really matter.

When you take it in, at your mileage, they should also check your transmission mount. If it's not torn, you can refresh its function with a pair of Function First inserts (like in the below photo). If it is torn, it needs to be replaced.

Quick Reply: 997.2 C2 Transmission Seal Leaking