Old 02-06-2021 | 05:31 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

bmc air filters, exhaust with mufflers, X pipe, EVOMsit ecu software
Old 02-06-2021 | 06:24 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by texass4
I’m going to play a bit of a contrarian card here...why not just try to find the nicest 997 your budget will allow and drive it as-is until you get a feel for what you may want to do for mods in the future. Especially the performance stuff...drive it first. You may find that nothing is really needed to suit your purposes. I currently have a 997.2 base 6mt coupe. I bought it because as many have already said, if you find a good one that checks the boxes you better jump on it. Wanted another C2S, but this one was the first good candidate after nearly a 1 year search. Turns out it’s perfect as-is. Plenty of power and handling for me to enjoy - way more than my talent can realistically accommodate.

Just my two cents, but I don’t mod my Porsches because I figure I’m nowhere near as knowledgeable as the fleet of fine automotive engineers who designed every aspect of the car so that everything works well together in concert.

Cosmetic stuff? Sure I guess. Not my thing either, but to each their own. Mods always seem to add something and can often take something else away.
The above is good advice and I would agree with it.

I always strive to remember a simple formula when it comes to things like this:

Ready -------> Aim -------> Fire

Too many times there is a strong urge to completely skip the "Aim" part, and in doing that, it opens the door to regrets I've found.

Devote time to experiencing the car as-is in order to learn specifically what you would need to address or try to improve. Then devote the time to fully researching and educating yourself to determine the range and specifics of the various solutions.

Old 02-06-2021 | 08:47 PM
Unframed
Racer

You’ll pay around $3,000 for an entry level set of track coilovers like Öhlins RT or KW V3. Then add in another $2,000 - $3,000 for the parts needed to properly adjust the suspension, correct the alignment, corner balance, etc.

Don’t forget the wheels. The stock wheels are well built but they’re also dead weight. For $3,000 you can get a great set of lightweight, forged wheels from Titan7. They offer a near perfect fitment for the narrow body 997.

Don’t bother with upgrading the brakes beyond pads and fluid unless you actually need it.

I agree with the post above that you should stay stock for a while before any changes.

Last edited by Unframed; 02-06-2021 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2021 | 09:19 PM
atallguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vince Honorato
Found your car: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1182872

Higher mileage but great service record and seems to check all the boxes for you. Add 10k in engine/suspension and a front aero lip or bumper.

Done!
Happy hunting.
Curious what the premium is one should pay for the service record history?

Like others mentioned I’m searching for my first and it’s going to be stock (with factory options if I can find them: sport chrono, full leather etc). I’ve found others on autotrader at or below this price but with far fewer miles (and obviously less mods).

Old 02-06-2021 | 09:39 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

For that budget and your dream car - 997.1S and then have flat six build your motor electively. Still have some room for suspension and body work.
Old 02-07-2021 | 02:31 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mbintx
what I meant to say is that I like all of the added goodies that come baked into the GTS from the factory. I just prefer the look of the narrow bodies cars. And center
Lock wheels just complicate matters when it comes to having a second set of wheels/tires handy for the track. But yes, a 5-lug manual GTS? I’d jump on that!
Got it. 5 lug GTS's were built but in limited numbers so tough to find. And again, all GTS's are wide bodies which you don't want. Just another opinion. If I had your preferences I would look for a C2S instead of a GTS and use the substantial amount of money you save to add the extras the GTS has that you want.

The extra 20+ HP may be the toughest one to achieve. That said, having had a 997.2 C4S, I have to say that the difference in HP between that one and my GTS can be felt if you try real hard but isn't worth the $17,000 or whatever the X-51 power kit was was selling for. I say "was" since it doesn't show up on Suncoast as being available anymore.

Quick Reply: Help me build a 997!