Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Happy with only the sharkwerks on 997.2 carrera ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 12:54 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 687 Likes on 437 Posts

If you are looking to Upgrade the Power AND Sound of your 997, then look no further than our Performance Package.

Fabspeed offers a full line of Dyno proven performance products that is sure to give you exactly what you are looking for, whether you want to concentrate on maximum track-competition performance, street use, or a blend of both.

No matter which direction you go, performance optimization starts with the headers. Our Porsche 997 Carrera Sport Headers improve exhaust flow for a power increase of +15 WHP, +12 ft/lbs. of TQ and significant increase in sports car sound. Our Sport Headers feature a 3-into-1 high velocity Formula 1 Indy car style merge collectors for improved exhaust scavenging and increased exhaust flow. Fabspeed’s 997 headers have been engineered and Dyno tested to verify maximum power and are a direct bolt-on replacement for factory OEM headers with no cutting or welding required.

The Porsche factory catalytic converters on your 997 Carrera are the most restrictive elements of the entire OEM exhaust system. There are four catalytic convertors on each and every 997 out of the factory. Fabspeed’s Porsche 997 Carrera Sport Cat X-Pipe is a simple way to significantly improve sportscar sound, performance and save weight without triggering a CEL. Our Sport Cat X-Pipe directly replaces the restrictive four OEM factory catalytic converters with high-flow, German imported 200 cell HJS catalytic cores which flow 93-95% of a straight pipe, with NO CEL! It increases WHP by +18, TQ by +22 ft/lbs. and saves 4 lbs. compared to the dense, 700 CPSI factory cores. Constructed from high-quality .065" thick C.N.C. mandrel-bent T304L stainless steel for optimum flow and maximum durability, our X-Pipe provides a significant improvement to sound, with a throatier, deeper exhaust note; a perfect exhaust upgrade for your Carrera.

For those who want maximum performance gains on a track-only build, our X-Pipe is also available in a catbypass version which adds +33 WHP, +41 ft/lbs. of TQ, and saves 7 lbs. from the rear of any 997.

We offer two options to replace the restrictive, factory 997 mufflers; the world famous Maxflo Performance Exhaust and our much more aggressive Supercup Performance Exhaust.

The Maxflo Performance Exhaust System is a catback system which improves the exhaust flow and the overall power while providing a deep and throaty sports car sound throughout the RPM range. Like most Fabspeed exhaust products, this system is constructed from high-quality 14-16ga CNC mandrel-bent T304L stainless steel for optimum flow and maximum durability and adds performance gains of +12 WHP and +12 ft/lbs. of TQ compared to OEM.

For those who want a lightweight and more aggressive sounding system, we have our Supercup Performance Exhaust, which adds +8 WHP, +16 ft/lbs. of TQ, and saves 14 lbs. off the rear of the vehicle compared to the bulky factory mufflers. The Supercup system replaces the restrictive factory mufflers with a free-flowing resonated design, dramatically reducing backpressure and significantly adding sports car sound. Just like our Maxflo option, the Supercup is constructed using T304L stainless steel for optimal durability and is backed by our Fabspeed Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Lastly, the restrictive 997 Carrera factory airbox should be replaced by Fabspeed's Carbon Fiber Competition Intake System which increases air flow into the engine for better power and it sounds AMAZING! The competition air intake fits all 997 Carreras.

Now that you have more exhaust gasses leaving the engine, you need to get more air in! The OEM 997 Carrera airbox is good, but Porsche intentionally made it quiet and restrictive. Imagine breathing through your nose when it’s clogged.

Our Porsche 997 Carrera Carbon Fiber Competition Air Intake System opens the engine up by greatly increasing the surface area of air filter with our unique duel inlet system. This improves cold air induction into the engine which increases power and sound throughout the rpm range. Constructed with genuine carbon fiber for strength and durability, our Intake system adds +19 WHP, +21 ft/lbs. of TQ, and saves 4 lbs. This is a direct bolt-on replacement for the factory air inbox; specify if you have the Tiptronic Transmission or X51 Models as they include an additional breather filter and hose for the factory PCV connection.

Now that you have more air entering and exhaust gases exiting the 997 flat six, all of these upgrades are then optimized by the Fabspeed ECU Tune which re-maps the timing, air-fuel ratios, and more to take full advantage of the upgraded components. Fabspeed Motorsport offers an alternative tuning method for vehicles equipped with ECU's that traditionally required bench flashing. No longer do you need to remove your Carrera's ECU and mail it in for a tune. We offer a MyGenius handheld device that interfaces with the OBD-II port on your Carrera and your computer to complete the tuning process right at home. With just our ECU tune alone, you can expect maximum power gains of 24 whp and 20 ft-lbs of torque at 6300 RPM without sacrificing drivability! ECU Tune is highly recommended if you get the Catbypass X-Pipe option.

Old 02-01-2021, 01:56 PM
GTSpure
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
If you are looking to Upgrade the Power AND Sound of your 997, then look no further than our Performance Package.

Fabspeed offers a full line of Dyno proven performance products that is sure to give you exactly what you are looking for, whether you want to concentrate on maximum track-competition performance, street use, or a blend of both.

No matter which direction you go, performance optimization starts with the headers. Our Porsche 997 Carrera Sport Headers improve exhaust flow for a power increase of +15 WHP, +12 ft/lbs. of TQ and significant increase in sports car sound. Our Sport Headers feature a 3-into-1 high velocity Formula 1 Indy car style merge collectors for improved exhaust scavenging and increased exhaust flow. Fabspeed’s 997 headers have been engineered and Dyno tested to verify maximum power and are a direct bolt-on replacement for factory OEM headers with no cutting or welding required.

The Porsche factory catalytic converters on your 997 Carrera are the most restrictive elements of the entire OEM exhaust system. There are four catalytic convertors on each and every 997 out of the factory. Fabspeed’s Porsche 997 Carrera Sport Cat X-Pipe is a simple way to significantly improve sportscar sound, performance and save weight without triggering a CEL. Our Sport Cat X-Pipe directly replaces the restrictive four OEM factory catalytic converters with high-flow, German imported 200 cell HJS catalytic cores which flow 93-95% of a straight pipe, with NO CEL! It increases WHP by +18, TQ by +22 ft/lbs. and saves 4 lbs. compared to the dense, 700 CPSI factory cores. Constructed from high-quality .065" thick C.N.C. mandrel-bent T304L stainless steel for optimum flow and maximum durability, our X-Pipe provides a significant improvement to sound, with a throatier, deeper exhaust note; a perfect exhaust upgrade for your Carrera.

For those who want maximum performance gains on a track-only build, our X-Pipe is also available in a catbypass version which adds +33 WHP, +41 ft/lbs. of TQ, and saves 7 lbs. from the rear of any 997.

We offer two options to replace the restrictive, factory 997 mufflers; the world famous Maxflo Performance Exhaust and our much more aggressive Supercup Performance Exhaust.

The Maxflo Performance Exhaust System is a catback system which improves the exhaust flow and the overall power while providing a deep and throaty sports car sound throughout the RPM range. Like most Fabspeed exhaust products, this system is constructed from high-quality 14-16ga CNC mandrel-bent T304L stainless steel for optimum flow and maximum durability and adds performance gains of +12 WHP and +12 ft/lbs. of TQ compared to OEM.

For those who want a lightweight and more aggressive sounding system, we have our Supercup Performance Exhaust, which adds +8 WHP, +16 ft/lbs. of TQ, and saves 14 lbs. off the rear of the vehicle compared to the bulky factory mufflers. The Supercup system replaces the restrictive factory mufflers with a free-flowing resonated design, dramatically reducing backpressure and significantly adding sports car sound. Just like our Maxflo option, the Supercup is constructed using T304L stainless steel for optimal durability and is backed by our Fabspeed Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Lastly, the restrictive 997 Carrera factory airbox should be replaced by Fabspeed's Carbon Fiber Competition Intake System which increases air flow into the engine for better power and it sounds AMAZING! The competition air intake fits all 997 Carreras.

Now that you have more exhaust gasses leaving the engine, you need to get more air in! The OEM 997 Carrera airbox is good, but Porsche intentionally made it quiet and restrictive. Imagine breathing through your nose when it’s clogged.

Our Porsche 997 Carrera Carbon Fiber Competition Air Intake System opens the engine up by greatly increasing the surface area of air filter with our unique duel inlet system. This improves cold air induction into the engine which increases power and sound throughout the rpm range. Constructed with genuine carbon fiber for strength and durability, our Intake system adds +19 WHP, +21 ft/lbs. of TQ, and saves 4 lbs. This is a direct bolt-on replacement for the factory air inbox; specify if you have the Tiptronic Transmission or X51 Models as they include an additional breather filter and hose for the factory PCV connection.

Now that you have more air entering and exhaust gases exiting the 997 flat six, all of these upgrades are then optimized by the Fabspeed ECU Tune which re-maps the timing, air-fuel ratios, and more to take full advantage of the upgraded components. Fabspeed Motorsport offers an alternative tuning method for vehicles equipped with ECU's that traditionally required bench flashing. No longer do you need to remove your Carrera's ECU and mail it in for a tune. We offer a MyGenius handheld device that interfaces with the OBD-II port on your Carrera and your computer to complete the tuning process right at home. With just our ECU tune alone, you can expect maximum power gains of 24 whp and 20 ft-lbs of torque at 6300 RPM without sacrificing drivability! ECU Tune is highly recommended if you get the Catbypass X-Pipe option.

It looks great but it seems to me that the headers and X-PIPE are designed for 997.1 and not 997.2
Old 02-01-2021, 04:07 PM
GrizzlyHippo
Intermediate

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an ‘09 Targa 4S, standard everything. But this year I fitted the Fabspeed Air Intake, and for me this is perfect. I personally don’t want a loud car (I’ve got Ducati bikes for that) but I did want a little more sound to make it sound like a Porsche and not a Passat. So far, it’s perfect. I thought I’d live with this for a summer before considering the x-pipe.
The following users liked this post:
Fabspeed Motorsport (02-03-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 07:24 PM
Airheader911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually ended up ordering the topgear x bypass as the cost delivered to Canada was so much better than the sharkwerks or fabspeed versions coming out of the US. I prefer the sharkwerks arrangement from an engineering perspective as it more closely respects the Porsche design but I doubt the cross connection in the x style has too much negative effect as many owners seem to enjoy the topgear and fabspeed style x pipe. I doubt the scavenging has much real world benefit in this engine .

I never really considered an intake change for the sound improvement , just kind of wrote that off altogether as snake oil by manufacturers making rather foolish claims about horsepower gains by simple changes to the intakes. I highly doubt one of if not the top sports car company in the world is going to leave any easy to find hp on the intake side. Porsche would spend way more effort designing the intake than any of these aftermarket suppliers imo. Potential exhaust side hp gains make sense with mods due to the less restrictive cat and muffler options that have lower resistance than oem but I am not really after more power as the cost per hp is just too high for the less restrictive exhaust systems . I am trying to keep it simple and relatively cost effective so hopefully the topgear x bypass works out. The reports in the uk all seem positive. The funny thing is that shipping from uk to Canada is generally quicker as well.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:35 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

I have the Top Gear center bypass and their valved mufflers. It sounds good but I could still handle it being louder, at least during spirited driving. The next step would be 200 cell cats.

For long highway cruises I close the valves to keep it quiet because I’m usually listening to a podcast or having a conversation.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:43 PM
BKirk
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 25 Posts

Totally agree with Airheader911 assessment on aftermarket versus Porsche air filter. Seems to me Porsche would spend a lot of R&D to make sure they got it right so I’m leaving mine alone. Just had to chime in with that bcs I’m always surprised when people change this out versus something else with more proven performance/hp increases like exhaust system changes.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:05 AM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Airheader911
I never really considered an intake change for the sound improvement , just kind of wrote that off altogether as snake oil by manufacturers making rather foolish claims about horsepower gains by simple changes to the intakes. I highly doubt one of if not the top sports car company in the world is going to leave any easy to find hp on the intake side. Porsche would spend way more effort designing the intake than any of these aftermarket suppliers imo. Potential exhaust side hp gains make sense with mods due to the less restrictive cat and muffler options that have lower resistance than oem but I am not really after more power as the cost per hp is just too high for the less restrictive exhaust systems . I am trying to keep it simple and relatively cost effective so hopefully the topgear x bypass works out. The reports in the uk all seem positive. The funny thing is that shipping from uk to Canada is generally quicker as well.
The performance gains mentioned certainly are generally snake oil...some gains to be had at speed and WOT...but I'll let you do your own reading - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...surements.html

But, I admit, the Fabspeed intake (had one on my 996.2) does make it sound pretty cool. It isn't a replacement for exhaust, but the induction noise will have a negative effect on your gas mileage
Old 02-02-2021, 11:53 PM
Airheader911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfisticuffs
The performance gains mentioned certainly are generally snake oil...some gains to be had at speed and WOT...but I'll let you do your own reading - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...surements.html

But, I admit, the Fabspeed intake (had one on my 996.2) does make it sound pretty cool. It isn't a replacement for exhaust, but the induction noise will have a negative effect on your gas mileage
Yes if the bypass doesn't give me enough sound I may look at the intake mod as it might be a cost effective approach for a little more howl
Old 02-03-2021, 12:13 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 591 Posts

I miss the noise I had with my 996 PSE too. I have the X pipe but induction noise can be so intoxicating, though I'm not going to make any changes there. My 2015 GTS noise is amazing when I put my foot in it. 2012...not so much.

The X pipe is bad-*** and for me, I'm sure I felt a bump in performance.

EDIT: I meant to say Shark Werks Sport Exhaust. Not the X pipe. I shouldn't type while I'm working.

Last edited by Upscale Audio; 02-03-2021 at 10:06 AM.
ewc (03-13-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 01:36 AM
Unframed
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 83 Posts

Just did Fabspeed X pipe and I cannot tell any difference vs. stock (non-PSE). Would not recommend.
Old 02-03-2021, 02:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

Originally Posted by Unframed
Just did Fabspeed X pipe and I cannot tell any difference vs. stock (non-PSE). Would not recommend.

Yeah you have to address both the side mufflers and the center muffler to get any meaningful change. Almost a waste to just do one or the other. Never heard the Fabspeed x-pipe so can't comment on it but based on a large number of posts here on the subject there's not a big difference in sound between the various x-pipe options available. Getting rid of the center muffler is a good first step but again, you need to do something about the side mufflers too.

Cheapest way is the "Gundo hack". Just a simple modification of the stock mufflers (Google it). The Fister mod is similar but more than just a muffler shop doing some cutting and welding. Some like these inexpensive solutions. Others don't. Subjective matter.

I have PSE/Sharkwerks and not that I've heard all of the combinations but to me it's close to perfection.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:47 AM
MaximumA
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got PSE and the rear center muffler delete, I'm very happy with that, and it's loud enough for me. Certainly start up is pretty loud.

If I wanted more performance, I'd swap out the headers and cats but then it might get a lot harder to pass my local emissions requirements. I have that issue on the other car, which has motorsport headers and a high-flow sports cat. It needs to be red hot...
Old 02-03-2021, 10:37 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,282 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Yeah you have to address both the side mufflers and the center muffler to get any meaningful change. Almost a waste to just do one or the other. Never heard the Fabspeed x-pipe so can't comment on it but based on a large number of posts here on the subject there's not a big difference in sound between the various x-pipe options available. Getting rid of the center muffler is a good first step but again, you need to do something about the side mufflers too.

Cheapest way is the "Gundo hack". Just a simple modification of the stock mufflers (Google it). The Fister mod is similar but more than just a muffler shop doing some cutting and welding. Some like these inexpensive solutions. Others don't. Subjective matter.

I have PSE/Sharkwerks and not that I've heard all of the combinations but to me it's close to perfection.
... I think I'm hearing Iceter's footsteps... He's walking this way...

Old 02-03-2021, 11:47 AM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Airheader911
I actually ended up ordering the topgear x bypass as the cost delivered to Canada was so much better than the sharkwerks or fabspeed versions coming out of the US. I prefer the sharkwerks arrangement from an engineering perspective as it more closely respects the Porsche design but I doubt the cross connection in the x style has too much negative effect as many owners seem to enjoy the topgear and fabspeed style x pipe. I doubt the scavenging has much real world benefit in this engine .

Our Competition airtake Design is actually directly influenced by Porsches 1990-95 Super Cup modification, Except we did ours in carbon fiber, as theirs was simply plastic. In our opinion, you have to pay for quality, after all, that's why we drive Porsches and not Passats!

Old 02-03-2021, 11:50 AM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Unframed
Unframed,

Sorry to hear you are not totally satisfied! I will send you a PM, let's try to iron out a solution.

Quick Reply: Happy with only the sharkwerks on 997.2 carrera ?