Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Happy with only the sharkwerks on 997.2 carrera ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2021 | 12:23 PM
Airheader911
Rennlist Member

Default Happy with only the sharkwerks on 997.2 carrera ?

I have been reading a million threads on exhaust mods and am wondering if anyone out there was happy with just the sharkwerks bypass on a base 997.2 carrera ?
Many seem to go to the gundo hack as well but I am concerned gundo will be too loud for my tastes ( 50yr old with tinnitus)
I am coming from a 84 911 with cat bypass that sounded really great but not too loud unless you were on it.
My new to me 2011 base carrera (which is great) just is so quiet that I need to do something. Stock it doesn't sound like a porsche to me. I want to know that there is a flat six there when I rev it up but don't want anything obnoxious or droning for highway .
Any opinions on this totally subjective question.
FWIW when I listen to youtube Videos of gundo plus sharkwerks it sounds great but too loud to me for a longer tour. Porsche PSE would have been ideal but too costly to retrofit

Last edited by Airheader911; 01-30-2021 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-30-2021 | 12:26 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

If memory serves me correctly, I did the fabspeed xpipe first and that wasn’t anywhere near enough. Then I swapped for a sharkwerks and gundo at the same time. Definitely louder and given your description maybe too loud.

I’d be curious if anyone has done gundo without the center. That might be reasonable if you’re looking for something louder.

Always thought the center was about 20% of the noise and gundo 80%.
Old 01-30-2021 | 12:30 PM
BKirk
Instructor

I have a ‘09 C2S and feel the same way you do - I want more sound but not too much....I’m also in my early 50’s. I bought the SW cross pipe bypass based on suggestions from some folks here. I spoke with one of the guys at sharkwerks on the phone and based on his assurance I wouldn’t have the droning sound (I have a cab) I ordered the cross pipe. They were a little back ordered on production and receive a couple weeks later which gets us to yesterday. I’m taking my car in to my mechanic in about a week. I’ll let you know how it sounds and can do a video to post here.
Old 01-30-2021 | 01:03 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

So much info out there on 997.2 exhaust options / choices. Lots of opinions.

One thing seems consistent - virtually no one likes the stock 997.2 sound. I certainly did not. Consequently one of the very first objectives for me was to find a suitable replacement option.

Exhaust Mod #1: Replacement of the stock secondary mufflers with Fister Sport Mufflers.
Opinion on the result: Significant improvement over stock - the car had an auditory presence that it previously did not have. Much better sound at idle and lower revs. Very nice sound at 5K revs and above. The negative to me was a nasally sound quality in the mid-rev ranges. Really did not care for that. Final judgement was that the car needed more.

Exhaust Mod #2: Elimination of the stock center muffler. Replaced with a Sharkwerks crossover unit.
Opinion on the result: Significantly changed sound - both in volume of sound and in sound character. Positives - really great sound at idle and in low revs. Fantastic sound in high rev ranges. Negatives - louder than I wanted the car on cold start (first 45 seconds or so got my neighbors attention - and not in a good way.) The nasally quality of the mid-range did not go away - it just became more noticeable. Really did not care for that at all. My assumption at that point was it was just an inherent aspect of the engine. One additional observation - zero drone on the highway.

Exhaust Mod #3: Replacement of the Fister Sport Mufflers with Tubi mufflers. (I wanted them initially but was unable to get comfortable with the price.) However, I was lucky to find a pair used here in the Market Place and nabbed them up.
Opinion on the result: EXACTLY what I wanted and had been seeking from day one for the car. The sound was significantly "opened up" vs stock, yet still refined in typical driving. In aggressive driving - the sound is just incredible. Zero drone. (Perhaps a little quieter than the Fisters were on the highway...) One nice observation (and not at all expected) was a performance improvement. I was not looking for it, but it is clearly there. Could be tied to the weight reduction (Tubi mufflers weigh about 8 lbs each. The stock / modified Fisters weighed 16.5 lbs each.) Net weight reduction from stock - I figure about 50 lbs (elimination of the center muffler - which is essentially a "lard can".)

One bit of advice - if you can, it may be good to connect with other local 997.2 owners (perhaps through the local PCA chapter.) May be possible to hear others cars firsthand prior to making an investment decision.

Good luck with the process.

A few associated photos:

Fister Sport Mufflers - Titanium ceramic coated

Sharkwerks center muffler delete / crossover

Fisters installed with Sharkwerks unit

Tubi Mufflers (after I restored the finish on them which took about 30 hours or so...)

Tubi muffler vs Fister muffler - Tubi unit weighs 1/2 - about 8 lbs.

Tubi mufflers with Sharkwerks unit

Finished end result. 100% happy.

Last edited by Ironman88; 01-30-2021 at 09:12 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Ironman88:
atallguy (02-01-2021), Darkboyz68 (02-15-2022), dashanin (01-31-2021), NevilleNobody (06-19-2022), Upscale Audio (02-03-2021)
Old 01-30-2021 | 01:16 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 168K miles

I have only the Sharkwerks crossover pipe. I am happy with just this. Overall, I think the car could still sound more like a sports car, but unfortunately, to most folks, it appears that equates to volume. I don't want any more volume... I am fine with this pipe. My car is my only driver and I do business from it via phone... (I have to use a Plantronics ear piece as the car's microphone system is awful).

Figuring out how to translate my opinion and others into an action on your part is ... well ... forget it. I can't tell you how many folks I meet that say "sounds just about right now..." and they fire it up and my ears ring for a few days. I suggest contacting a Porsche indy shop, or a dealer, near you and just stop in and ask. There is a chance you may hear a car with some aftermarket stuff as this is pretty common. I did this back when I owned my 2000 S Boxster when I was thinking of changing the suspension out.... by chance, my indy had a car in that had the exact mods that were red hot at the time. I waited around for about an hour or so and he took me out for a test drive when he completed his work... thank goodness I did that... knocked out three fillings.

Read more about my install here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ut-issues.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-30-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2021 | 01:30 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

I have just the Sharkwerks w/o PSE and I like it. My intention was always to go with a Gundo after the Sharkwerks, but I see no need to do it now. It’s a very subtle change at low revs, but it’s noticeably throatier at the upper end of the tach. Could also start with the Gundo for less money. I just wanted to get rid of the centre muffler because it’s very existence is unnecessary.
The following users liked this post:
dashanin (01-31-2021)
Old 01-30-2021 | 04:59 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

To start, a wonderful write up reply #4 by "Ironman88" (as usual) and a so- true reply #5 by Bruce in Philly.
I have the exact car mentioned by OP, 2011 997.2 Carrera. My car has the Sharkwerks bypass only and I think it sounds great. One of the interesting parts of this system has been pointed out by Ironman and that is it a bit louder on cold startup.Not too loud) I think this is ideal as we like the sound of something initially and depending on what it is, it is good when it subsides a bit over time. Here you get to hear a real car sound for a minute and then when you are driving it is more subtle. You do not want an attention getting sound banging on your ears during a long distance drive. I think it is perfect on a .2 Carrera and the fact that it is a bolt on addition has lots of charm. Don't get confused with info for 997.1 cars as they are different. Try to find someone that has a .2 car with Sharkwerks, (base Carrera would be ideal).
I give it 5 stars . Just my opinion
Ironman88 (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021 | 11:26 PM
Airheader911
Rennlist Member

Bruce, Jaws1 and Floyd 540 thanks for the insight as this is exactly the feedback I was hoping to find before I took the plunge . So many enthusiasts love the higher sound levels some of these mods generate and i don't blame them but it's not quite what I am after.
I'll take the plunge and report back on my opinion
Old 01-31-2021 | 01:03 AM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Sharkwerks only was not enough for me, added the fisters and am happy. Curious to hear the tubi after ironman’s emphatic review!
Old 01-31-2021 | 08:56 AM
ewc
Racer

I have a 997.2 that came with Fisters only and I’m fairly pleased with the sound. I also recently added stiffer Function First engine mounts and feel like it actually improved the engine sound by make it a bit deeper and growly—maybe because I can feel more of the exhaust through my seats. It’s not too loud, does not drone at all, and gives a distinct flat six sound.

I’m considering a Soul X pipe, to see if I can get the sound closer to my old 996 PSE sound, which still had a deeper boxer engine note vs my current setup. However, I feel my car is already fairly loud with road noise, and worry that the X pipe plus Fister may put it over the top.
Old 01-31-2021 | 01:19 PM
tpca789
Cruisin'

I have a 2009 Targa 4s with Sharkwerks bypass. I think it sounds better , but certainly not loud. Sounds better at higher revs IMO. Also, from inside the car not as noticeable, but my neighbour told me he noticed the difference and thought it was "just right"!!
Old 01-31-2021 | 01:25 PM
9INE97
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tpca789
Also, from inside the car not as noticeable, but my neighbour told me he noticed the difference and thought it was "just right"!!
Haha. His way of saying don't go any louder.
The following 2 users liked this post by 9INE97:
ATX_Native (01-31-2021), Darkboyz68 (02-15-2022)
Old 01-31-2021 | 02:27 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

I love my Sharkwerks Bypass and Fister combo.

I had the Fisters on alone and it was way too quiet IMO. The SW Bypass changed that.

Rowdy above 3,500 RPM, you can hear gurgles and rumbles on decel and it’s OEM quiet on the highway when off heavy throttle.

For the $1,300 price of admission it’s hard to beat.

Last edited by ATX_Native; 01-31-2021 at 02:42 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ATX_Native:
997ajk (01-31-2021), Darkboyz68 (02-15-2022), ewc (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021 | 02:29 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ewc
I have a 997.2 that came with Fisters only and I’m fairly pleased with the sound. I also recently added stiffer Function First engine mounts and feel like it actually improved the engine sound by make it a bit deeper and growly—maybe because I can feel more of the exhaust through my seats. It’s not too loud, does not drone at all, and gives a distinct flat six sound.

I’m considering a Soul X pipe, to see if I can get the sound closer to my old 996 PSE sound, which still had a deeper boxer engine note vs my current setup. However, I feel my car is already fairly loud with road noise, and worry that the X pipe plus Fister may put it over the top.
Like the 996 it’s quiet when on the highway and when you’re not in it.

Mine is pretty darn close to my 996 sound with the SW Bypass and Fister combo if you’re not on it.
ewc (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021 | 05:25 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

I also have just the sharkwerks bypass and it's plenty enough for me. I do like the sound of the tubi also, but not enough to get it.

Quick Reply: Happy with only the sharkwerks on 997.2 carrera ?