Sponsored by:

Oil additive question-Ceratec?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2021, 05:40 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
Wow this turned into an oil thread, didn't mean for that to happen, but it's ok as it is ultimately related.

So, as far as DT40 goes, how long / many miles before it affects your catalytic converter, if at all. IIRC that is the reason why it was not an approved oil according to one of the earlier posts.
Won't hurt the cats at all. Oils had much higher ZDDP levels as late as 2000 before they were all reformulated. Didn't hurt them back then. Porsche puts very high quality cats on their cars. I've actually never seen a bad Porsche catalytic converter ever.

To clarify, DT40 isn't Porsche approved as they do not use an approved A40 additive package. Regardless of brand of oil, all A40 oils are formulated the same with similar levels of ZDDP and other additives as they are required to use the same recipe to carry that approval.

Remember, there are only a handful of base stock and additive suppliers worldwide.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (01-28-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 12:24 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,547 Likes on 960 Posts

Here is a RL Oil Analysis Spreadsheet previously prepared and posted by others in our great community (thank you!). It has comparison of Blackstone UAO for 13 samples of Mobil, Motul, LM and Driven....including some with MOS2. As there was no data for M1 5W-50 or Ceratec, I added my Blackstone UOA results in last column for comparison. That LM HT 5W-40 looks pretty good in this comparison, but, like Driven, it is not A40 approved.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
Rennlist UOA Spreadsheet.xlsx (24.1 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by Fullyield; 01-30-2021 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:58 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 299 Posts

Thanks for that. Looks like Motul is not that great by itself, wonder why it is so touted? Wear numbers look similar to mine, that's why I will be adding Ceratec for now until my next oil change at which point I will most likely switch out to DT-40 or maybe LM with added MoS2 being that I just received two bottles.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:19 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Thanks for that. Looks like Motul is not that great by itself, wonder why it is so touted? Wear numbers look similar to mine, that's why I will be adding Ceratec for now until my next oil change at which point I will most likely switch out to DT-40 or maybe LM with added MoS2 being that I just received two bottles.
One reason is that it's 100% synthetic (rather than "fully" synthetic)...

Just add some MoS2 or some Ceratec to it. Great stuff.

https://d23zpyj32c5wn3.cloudfront.ne...pdf?1492016165

Old 01-30-2021, 03:32 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Here is another two data points. Both of the samples seen in the photo are Motul 5w-40 with one bottle of MOS2 at the oil change. I will post more when I am not on my phone. I am wondering how much MOS2 has really helped.

Last edited by doclouie; 01-30-2021 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:33 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

"One reason is that it's 100% synthetic (rather than "fully" synthetic)..."
Thats nice, but what does that get me if wear metals are higher comparative to others?

Old 01-30-2021, 06:53 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,705 Likes on 4,262 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
Here is another two data points. Both of the samples seen in the photo are Motul 5w-40 with one bottle of MOS2 at the oil change. I will post more when I am not on my phone. I am wondering how much MOS2 has really helped.
Not a lot according to this sample. Your last 2 iron numbers are quite high (50% higher than mine at 5k miles) and you're seeing some copper too. Iron and copper are main bearings usually.

What matters are wear metals, viscosity, and acidity of the oil. You didn't run a TAN and TBN on this samples so we don't have those numbers, but viscosity is low and wear metals are kind of high. Personally, I'd use something else based on what I see here.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:40 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,243 Posts

"One reason is that it's 100% synthetic (rather than "fully" synthetic)..."
Thats nice, but what does that get me if wear metals are higher comparative to others?
Sounds like for you, you need to make a change.

Old 01-30-2021, 07:51 PM
myltz400
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Here is a RL Oil Analysis Spreadsheet previously prepared and posted by others in our great community (thank you!). It has comparison of Blackstone UAO for 13 samples of Mobil, Motul, LM and Driven....including some with MOS2. As there was no data for M1 5W-50 or Ceratec, I added my Blackstone UOA results in last column for comparison. That LM HT 5W-40 looks pretty good in this comparison, but, like Driven, it is not A40 approved.
Hi, forgive me if this has been mentioned but is this from a 997.1 or.2? I am working on a comparison between M1 0w40 with and without Ceratec in a 997.2.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:36 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi. I'm Ken and I'm an oil fanatic. After a lot of research years ago I started using Motul 5-40 in my 997.2, and more recently adding MOS2 at each change. I don't understand a lot of the information from the oil analysis I see here, but I also don't see anything to convince me that any of the oils, or additives, are consistently better than others. Also, with about 5 decades of driving behind me, I remember only one person losing an engine to an oil related problem and that was sludge in a Camry. I'm beginning to think that unless I spend time tracking my car I can just buy a decent oil of the proper weight and it will make zero difference to my motor. If there is any oil that consistently has the best UOA's please tell me what it is and I'll become an instant fanboy. I'm beginning to regret the hours I've spent reading oil threads that take me on a circuitious route to nowhere.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:40 AM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KLS
Hi. I'm Ken and I'm an oil fanatic. After a lot of research years ago I started using Motul 5-40 in my 997.2, and more recently adding MOS2 at each change. I don't understand a lot of the information from the oil analysis I see here, but I also don't see anything to convince me that any of the oils, or additives, are consistently better than others. Also, with about 5 decades of driving behind me, I remember only one person losing an engine to an oil related problem and that was sludge in a Camry. I'm beginning to think that unless I spend time tracking my car I can just buy a decent oil of the proper weight and it will make zero difference to my motor. If there is any oil that consistently has the best UOA's please tell me what it is and I'll become an instant fanboy. I'm beginning to regret the hours I've spent reading oil threads that take me on a circuitious route to nowhere.
Really? look at the comparative analysis just posted - there is a lo t of difference -am i missing something?
Old 01-31-2021, 08:01 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,547 Likes on 960 Posts

Originally Posted by myltz400
Hi, forgive me if this has been mentioned but is this from a 997.1 or.2? I am working on a comparison between M1 0w40 with and without Ceratec in a 997.2.
Is that not listed in the spreadsheet?
Old 01-31-2021, 10:21 AM
myltz400
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks, but no. He tacked it to the end of the existing data.
The following users liked this post:
NF4710 (08-01-2023)
Old 01-31-2021, 10:42 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KLS
Believe me, I feel you. I've been answering oil questions almost 20 years. Lots of things changed at the turn of the century. If there is only one constant, it is that things are always changing. All of you know I'm biased in that I recommend Driven oils but my recommendations come from years of experience and research on the topic.

As I've stated previously, all A40 oils are going to perform very similarly because they all have to use the same pre-approved A40 package in an approved base stock. The only variable is the viscosity and the only distinguishing factor between these oils will be the HTHS viscosity. The higher the HTHS viscosity the lower the fuel economy. That's why we have always told customers if they wanted to run an A40 oil, that they should use a 5w40 over a 0w40. A 5w50 would have even higher HTHS viscosity, however having such a large spread means they have to use more viscosity modifiers that tend to break down, meaning these oils will shear out of grade faster than a 5w40.

For example, M1 0w40 has historically been formulated at the bottom of the tolerance for a 0w40, no you're not going to beat it when it comes to fuel economy. To give you an idea how large a range there is, for a 40 weight the kinematic viscosity can be 12.5 - 16.2 mm²/s.

I know Petza914 does regular used oil analysis and has shared his UOAs running Driven oils in his vehicles here on Rennlist.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:43 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

For those looking for VOAs for popular oils among Porsche users, check out SPEEDiagnostix website. They have a bunch posted there:

https://www.speediagnostix.com/new-oil-analysis-results

Quick Reply: Oil additive question-Ceratec?