Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil additive question-Ceratec?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2021 | 12:37 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Default Oil additive question-Ceratec?

I have been running Motul xcess 5-40 in my 2005 3.6L base C2 for the last 25k miles or so with total mileage at this point being 42K. With each Blackstone UOA, my Iron and Copper levels are slightly higher than the averages but they are relatively consistent between changes; aluminum and silicon levels are at the averages. There is no Molybdenum and low Boron which concerns me (antiwear additives).

Car runs smooth and essentially burns no oil between the 4k interval oil changes. Don't track it, but do redline it a few times between changes after proper warm up.

My question is, would an additive, like Ceratec reduce the iron and copper wear and would it be compatible with the Motul xcess 5-40? I would like to add it now so that on my next oil change, in about 3500 miles from now, I can compare/determine via the UOA .

I know there have been some threads on this but nothing that specifically addresses my question - any thoughts ?

Old 01-24-2021 | 01:11 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

I would put in MoS2 per LMs spec over ceratec.
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021 | 01:28 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

I was gonna switch from my current Mobil 1 5W-50 just for fun to the Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W-40 but was wondering why they don’t put any Moly at all in their formulation. I wrote to Motul direct and to Mr. Motul on this forum and didn’t get a reply so no Motul for me. I don’t like randomly adding additives to my oil as the oil itself if good, should not need any additives IMO. Mobil 1 does have Moly in it already.

Last edited by Carreralicious; 01-24-2021 at 02:11 PM.
VT Blue (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021 | 01:58 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sporty
I have been running Motul xcess 5-40 in my 2005 3.6L base C2 for the last 25k miles or so with total mileage at this point being 42K. With each Blackstone UOA, my Iron and Copper levels are slightly higher than the averages but they are relatively consistent between changes; aluminum and silicon levels are at the averages. There is no Molybdenum and low Boron which concerns me (antiwear additives).

Car runs smooth and essentially burns no oil between the 4k interval oil changes. Don't track it, but do redline it a few times between changes after proper warm up.

My question is, would an additive, like Ceratec reduce the iron and copper wear and would it be compatible with the Motul xcess 5-40? I would like to add it now so that on my next oil change, in about 3500 miles from now, I can compare/determine via the UOA .

I know there have been some threads on this but nothing that specifically addresses my question - any thoughts ?
I'm using Motul Xcess 8100 5w-40 also. I add MoS2 to it (principle anti-wear agent is Molybdenum).

I think the primary differences between MoS2 and Ceratec is that Ceratec contains Diboron Trioxide which is the principle agent that bonds to the internal metal surfaces and provides additional anti-wear protection. Ceratec also contains molybdenum as I understand it.

Why have I not gone with Ceratec and instead use MoS2? Three reasons:

1) For me, I think the anti-wear properties of molybdenum (very well documented over many years) seem to address the need.

2) MoS2 is cheaper - although you need to add it with every oil change. (Ceratec supposedly lasts quite a bit longer - which may be the manufacturer's way of substantiating the additional cost. Ceratec - 300ml = $22.90 MoS2 - 300ml = $7.99 {Amazon}).

3) Can you trust that Ceratec provides sustained benefit over time (once it's drained out with the old oil)? I don't know. You would be relying completely on the (assumed benefit) of Diboron Trioxide that has bonded to the metal surfaces previously. The molybdenum will have been drained out however. That's an additional concern I have with Ceratec...

Last edited by Ironman88; 01-24-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-24-2021 | 02:21 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Agree with those suggesting MoS2. Ceratec is for newer engines. Use 1.5 (300mL) bottles of MoS2 per oil change. MoS2 has no compatibility issues with any oil.

Old 01-24-2021 | 03:52 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

I also use MOS2 at each oil change and I also use Motul 5w-40 in my 997.2. Blackstone reports each time and the metal numbers when down slightly when I stopped using Mobil 1 0w-40. Plus I was getting fuel in my oil and it was thinning it out too much for my liking. You can get MOS2 for less than $4 a can from FCP. My favorite place to get parts so I am always ordering from them and with free shipping over $49 it makes the most sense.
Robocop305 (03-20-2022)
Old 01-24-2021 | 04:34 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doclouie
I also use MOS2 at each oil change and I also use Motul 5w-40 in my 997.2. Blackstone reports each time and the metal numbers when down slightly when I stopped using Mobil 1 0w-40. Plus I was getting fuel in my oil and it was thinning it out too much for my liking. You can get MOS2 for less than $4 a can from FCP. My favorite place to get parts so I am always ordering from them and with free shipping over $49 it makes the most sense.
That's a great price!

How do you access that pricing on their website? When I bring it up, the price is $5.44 per can - even if you purchase in quantity of 12...

Old 01-24-2021 | 05:00 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

I bought 3 cans of it last fall for just under $5 a can not $4, my bad. $14.70 total. Looks like word got out and the price went up. I will return a can of it when used for a replacement.
Old 01-24-2021 | 05:55 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Hey guys, thanks for all the input, keep it coming. Please note II am not concerned with the economics in this case, but more so with what will reduce the wear in my engine, and to not cause any problems by using an oil additive. The concept of the Ceratec 'coating' of the metals is interesting, assuming its not snake oil. The addition of the MolyB. is of interest as well. So bottom line, regardless of cost, which will be the most effective at reducing wear?
Perhaps I will add Ceratec and see where the numbers come out on my next oil change, unless, I hear convincing thoughts/evidence otherwise.
Old 01-24-2021 | 06:01 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Hey guys, thanks for all the input, keep it coming. Please note II am not concerned with the economics in this case, but more so with what will reduce the wear in my engine, and to not cause any problems by using an oil additive. The concept of the Ceratec 'coating' of the metals is interesting, assuming its not snake oil. The addition of the MolyB. is of interest as well. So bottom line, regardless of cost, which will be the most effective at reducing wear?
Perhaps I will add Ceratec and see where the numbers come out on my next oil change, unless, I hear convincing thoughts/evidence otherwise.
Understood on the thought regarding cost factors.

Perhaps it would make good sense to adjust the oil change interval from 4k miles to 3k miles.
Old 01-24-2021 | 06:23 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

If you really are not concerned with cost use Driven DT-40 oil. It already has Moly in it. One of the best oils for a 997.1.
The following 2 users liked this post by doclouie:
DesmoSD (01-27-2021), Petza914 (01-27-2021)
Old 01-24-2021 | 06:47 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by doclouie
If you really are not concerned with cost use Driven DT-40 oil. It already has Moly in it. One of the best oils for a 997.1.
Yes, I was considering that as well. However, I thought I saw a 997 UOA with DT-40 and the numbers for the MolyB were also very low and the wear metals were not much better than mine, IIRC. Are you sure DT-40 has the MolyB in it? - again I thought I read that it doesn't and that's what gave me some pause as well. My mind may be playing tricks on me, as I get older...
Right now the easiest thing to do would be to try/add one of the additives as I just had my oil changed. In the UOA, the TBN numbers were all within spec for the mileage, so not sure if changing oil at shorter intervals will really end up reducing the rate of wear, just slow it down overall I guess.
Old 01-24-2021 | 08:38 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

I suggest starting with the proper oil. DT40 was designed specifically for the M9X engines.
Old 01-24-2021 | 09:03 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cwheeler
I suggest starting with the proper oil. DT40 was designed specifically for the M9X engines.
Yes, upon further consideration and re-review, looks like I will be trying DT-40 on my next oil change and see how that goes as far as the wear metals.

Old 01-24-2021 | 09:04 PM
TopKatz
Racer

I use Mos2 in my LM. I have a bottle of certec but decided against using due to popular opinion.

Quick Reply: Oil additive question-Ceratec?