Sponsored by:

Quick rear brake Q

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 11:09 PM
coaldrag413
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Quick rear brake Q

I replaced the rear rotors, pads and sensors on my 997.1 C2S. Now I have a brake wear sensor error and my parking brake light is on. Will this eventually go away or do I need to take something apart and check?
Old 01-24-2021, 12:29 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

2009 C2S 168K miles

Few questions....

1. What do you mean by "error"? Are you getting the sensor warning like your pads are worn, or are you getting another real error like something malfunctioned"
2. Regarding the parking brake light... the sensor for that is at your lever, not back at the wheel. I assume you pressed the button in and jammed it up and down. If it is on, it may be related to the error noted above.
3. I know you said your replaced the sensors... were they new or did you re-use them?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-24-2021, 01:10 AM
coaldrag413
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 168K miles

Few questions....

1. What do you mean by "error"? Are you getting the sensor warning like your pads are worn, or are you getting another real error like something malfunctioned"
2. Regarding the parking brake light... the sensor for that is at your lever, not back at the wheel. I assume you pressed the button in and jammed it up and down. If it is on, it may be related to the error noted above.
3. I know you said your replaced the sensors... were they new or did you re-use them?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Bruce,

Always glad to hear from you. I know you've had some time wrenching for sure.

1)Yes it is a "brake pad wear sensor" alert with a left-side arrow
2)I will check to see if my parking brake light stays on next time I take it for a spin. I don't believe my parking brake lever was hung up when I drove it tonight, but I suppose it is possible it wasn't fully depressed. I will check this again.
3)Yes, I replaced them with new sensors (They are URO brand though). Is it possible I could have the connector reversed?
Old 01-24-2021, 01:27 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 403 Posts

3. there is no reverse. but they may have come out of the slot they are supposed to be held in. these should be easy to check. or one of the connections may have come loose. I prefer to tye them behind the calipers and not use the sensors, easy enough to check the pads through most wheels. good luck
Old 01-24-2021, 03:10 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,593 Likes on 4,191 Posts

They only plug in one way and then there's a metal flip down clasp that holds them together so they can't come apart.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:25 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,281 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
They only plug in one way and then there's a metal flip down clasp that holds them together so they can't come apart.
Isn't one of them for a speed sensor? (Other for the wear sensor.)
Seems like he they got reversed he'd have more than just a wear-indicator error...

Old 01-24-2021, 07:02 PM
coaldrag413
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Seems like he they got reversed he'd have more than just a wear-indicator error...
I believe the connectors are different between sensors so I don’t think I did that. What I meant was flipping the sensor vertically so the connection were reversed
Old 01-24-2021, 07:16 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,593 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Yes, now that you mention it, I think it's the wheel speed sensor that has that flip down cap. I don't think the connectors are the same and also think they're keyed, so you can't reverse the polarity, unlike PASM suspension plugs for example.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:56 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

How long did you drive with the warning before you changed the pads? What may have happened is one of the other two sensors wore through. Check the condition of the other pads.

"Left side arrow" interesting.... in the 997.2, there is no way of know which wheel had the sensor wear let alone which side. Interesting Porsche de-contented this feature for the 997.2.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-25-2021, 01:09 AM
coaldrag413
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
How long did you drive with the warning before you changed the pads? What may have happened is one of the other two sensors wore through. Check the condition of the other pads.

"Left side arrow" interesting.... in the 997.2, there is no way of know which wheel had the sensor wear let alone which side. Interesting Porsche de-contented this feature for the 997.2.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I only took it for a cruise around the block. I was just looking for funky noises or steering issues. I may not have given it enough time to clear a pad wear code, but I just found it weird because the old pads weren't throwing the warning.

Last edited by coaldrag413; 01-25-2021 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07-04-2021, 12:36 PM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Resurrecting this thread. Yesterday after a 150 mile round trip mostly at highway speed my 997.2 central warning light (!) came on along with a brake pad wear warning message. My BRAKE light also illuminated. This morning I used the Durametric hoping it would tell me which pads are causing the warning message but apparently that's not something readable. Warning message and BRAKE light illuminating didn't show up on start-up today so I took the car for a quick drive only to have them reappear after 10-15 minutes. Didn't notice any difference in my car's braking ability vs pre warning lights, but I'm assuming I shouldn't drive anymore until new pads are installed so as to avoid potentially damaging the rotors.

Per page 125 of the owner's manual, the BRAKE light will illuminate if (1) handbrake is on, (2) brake fluid level is low, (3) brake pads have reached the wear limit, or (4) brake circuit division is defective.
Old 07-04-2021, 01:08 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 174K miles

If it is a worn pad, your light will be intermittent.... then after way more wear, it will stay solid. Lotsa confusion on how this system works. First, it does not have to cut the wire... it just has to ground it out... so wearing through the insulation and then touching the wire will pop the light.... hence and intermittent light. No code is set that I am aware of. The sensor wire is a single wire going from wheel to wheel so there is no way of knowing what wheel it is.

As for how long you can go when the light first appears? I can't find my Rennlist thread but I did the calculation based on remaining thickness, original thickness... etc.... in short... like forever. You have plenty of time. I will continue to look for that post and post here later today.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
The following users liked this post:
Optionman1 (07-04-2021)

Quick Reply: Quick rear brake Q