FabSpeed XPipe and FabSpeed Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 07:07 PM
BKirk
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 25 Posts
Default FabSpeed XPipe and FabSpeed Exhaust

Hi all-

Looking to get a better tone out of my exhaust but don't want too much of a highway speed droning sound (my car is a cabrio). I spoke with shop who does a lot of FabSpeed on Porsche and exotics. He recommended replacing the stock mufflers entirely with FabSeed. Any comments from folks here on that approach versus just doing a FabSpeed X-Pipe bypass? Not looking for something super loud- just want better exhaust note. I do not have Sport Exhaust but I do have a neighbor on one side of me with a Maserati and the other side with a Lamborghini so I feel a little outgunned with my stock exhaust!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:49 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

I currently have JUST the fabspeed x-pipe, with no cats. No drone. Def louder, but not annoying. Rips higher up in the rpm. It's a good compromise. I'm going louder and more raw tho....

(I have a .1)

Last edited by cwheeler; 01-12-2021 at 09:42 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by cwheeler:
BKirk (01-12-2021), paddlefoot64 (02-17-2021), racebannon (10-22-2022)
Old 01-12-2021, 09:14 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by BKirk
Hi all-

Looking to get a better tone out of my exhaust but don't want too much of a highway speed droning sound (my car is a cabrio). I spoke with shop who does a lot of FabSpeed on Porsche and exotics. He recommended replacing the stock mufflers entirely with FabSeed. Any comments from folks here on that approach versus just doing a FabSpeed X-Pipe bypass? Not looking for something super loud- just want better exhaust note. I do not have Sport Exhaust but I do have a neighbor on one side of me with a Maserati and the other side with a Lamborghini so I feel a little outgunned with my stock exhaust!

What's "better"??

You may well get all kinds of responses based on what others here think "better" is. But better means better to YOU.

May want to approach this in stages.

One of the most consistent comments about the 997.2 is the need to eliminate the primary center muffler. You may want to go that route as a first step. If after doing that, you still feel that you'd like more sound, then there's the opportunity to go with alternative side muffler choices. Many go with modified stock mufflers (Gundo hack) or replacement Fister mufflers. Then there's after-market side muffler choices.

May want to connect with local PCA members and find out what other 997.2 owners have done. Hearing their setup(s) first-hand can help you identify the choices that are "better" for you.

Good luck with the process.

The following users liked this post:
BKirk (01-12-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 08:01 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,494 Likes on 930 Posts

Hi all-

I went with Billy Boat cross pipe/muffler delete with local muffler shop cutting and welding gundo hack into my side mufflers. Sounded great for less than $1k.
Old 01-13-2021, 08:25 AM
tgilgan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Fabspeed airbox and exhaust, and the sports exhaust button. With valve open, the fabspeed combo sounds great at RPM over 4k. lots of commens on porsche club trips and at the track on how good the car sounds..

then push the magic button (which I call the annoying button) and you cruise into your neighborhood with none the wiser. I don't know what the setup cost, but I am glad to have it.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:40 AM
GTSpure
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Hi all-

Hey friend
First of all it's fun to have such neighbors
I had CARGRAPHIC's XPIPE in the previous Porsche 997.1 C2S - It sounds great and is very similar to Fabspeed.
In the current 997.2 GTS I have not installed yet but from the little research I did the best value for money (and perfect sound) is actually a cross pipe (like TUBI / Shark Werks and not an X configuration).
Old 01-13-2021, 11:56 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

For questions like this, it's best if you identify what model and generation of car you have. From your avatar, looks like you have a .2 and the exhaust setup between the 2 generations is different. One thing the .1 cars have going for them is a slightly nicer exhaust note, but the .2s can be made to sound pretty nice as well. The first thing that should be done is delete/bypass the center muffler. Most bang for the buck after that is either a Gundo Hack or Fister Mufflers.

On one of my .1s (wife's) we have the Gundo mufflers and Evoms intake with an IPD plenum. Her car sounds really good for what that muffler mod cost.

On my other .1 I have a complete Fabspeed setup - equal length long tube headers, Valved mufflers, 200 cell HJS X-cat and a J-pipe CAI. That car sounds more exotic and at higher rpms just screams, but in a really good way. Passed my sife at 115 4th gear high RPM one night and she said the sound was ungodly loud and powerful - doesn't sound like that in the car, but I guess behind it, it does.

Oddly enough, the exhaust has no drone in sport mode (valves open), but a little bit of drone in Normal mode (valves closed), but since Fabspeed doesn't make the valved exhaust anymore, the choice from them would be equivalent to my valved setup in Sport mode, so not really any drone. I run mine in sport mode most of the time anyway, but like the option to be able to quiet it down when leaving for the airport early in the morning or driving next to a cop on the highway.

To my ears, I like the sound of Fabspeed and ipd. If you want a little deeper, but still a superb quality exhaust, I also like FVD. I haven't heard a lot of the others in person, so can't comment on them, but there are some that for lack of a better term sound reverberating and "farty" which I don't like at all, and some of those are high-end brands. You really have to listen in person to see what sounds good to your ears.

As I said, a .2 will sound different, but here's a small sample of my complete Fabspeed setup.

Trending Topics

Old 01-13-2021, 01:39 PM
southbay
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 199 Posts

This video compares the sound of the crossover vs x-pipe. They say stock mufflers in the comments. I’d go with just the x-pipe and if you still want more sound, then get the mufflers.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:29 AM
BKirk
Instructor

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. My car is a ‘09 C2S cabriolet.

Based on the feedback I called the SharkWerks guys and ordered their cross pipes to eliminate the center muffler. Seems like the right plan for me. I’ll let you all know how it turns out.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:52 AM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 300 Posts

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. My car is a ‘09 C2S cabriolet.

Based on the feedback I called the SharkWerks guys and ordered their cross pipes to eliminate the center muffler. Seems like the right plan for me. I’ll let you all know how it turns out.
I think that is a good first, and perhaps only, step depending on the level of volume you want. If the crossover pipes alone aren't loud enough, have a shop perform the gundo hack and I think you'll be very pleased with the result.

The consensus with the .2 crowd seems to be that the gundo hack + center muffler bypass combo is by far the most cost effective solution on a non-PSE car.

I have this combo on my .2 C2 and it is indeed very nice. Maintains the classic flat 6 sound and is loud enough while not being completely overbearing. Sounds just right to my ear.
The following users liked this post:
BKirk (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 10:56 AM
pcaskey57
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Fabspeed exhaust on the Dyno. I have no drone at speed and like someone said before, above 4K the sound is exhilarating and the windows must be down!
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
20181011_103606_WMV V8.wmv (2.96 MB, 42 views)

Last edited by pcaskey57; 01-14-2021 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:11 AM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 687 Likes on 437 Posts

Hi all-

Bkirk,

If you want to take your exhaust to the next level I absolutely recommend doing our full Performance package, you will get the most results both power and sound-wise. Fabspeed's 997 Carrera Performance Package replaces the restrictive OEM mufflers and factory cats with high-performance mufflers and 200-cell HJS Sportcats or Catbypass pipes for a deeper, throatier exhaust note and improved power and throttle response. The included Performance Headers replace the restrictive factory headers and with high-flowing motorsport headers. Lastly, the restrictive factory airbox is replaced by Fabspeed's Carbon Fiber Competition Intake System which increases the cold air flow into the engine for better power and sound. All of these upgrades are then optimized by the Fabspeed ECU Tune which re-maps the timing, air-fuel ratios, and more in order to take full advantage of the upgraded components.

INCLUDES:

If anyone has questions or would like more info feel free to PM us. We also Happily offer a Rennlist discount to members!

Old 01-23-2021, 08:08 PM
BKirk
Instructor

Received my SharkWerks cross pipe today. Will have it installed next week. My car is at the body shop until Tuesday so plan to take it to mechanic on Wednesday for the cross pipe installation.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:37 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

Received my SharkWerks cross pipe today. Will have it installed next week. My car is at the body shop until Tuesday so plan to take it to mechanic on Wednesday for the cross pipe installation.
Why not instal yourself? Needs nothing more than basic hand tools.

Cw
Old 01-23-2021, 10:25 PM
BKirk
Instructor

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Why not instal yourself? Needs nothing more than basic hand tools.

Cw
I’m sure it’s very simple for most - and I used to work on my cars in my 20’s and 30’s - but now in my 50’s I prefer to help the economy move forward and pay a mechanic who has the tools and expertise to do the job in a quarter the time it would take me.

Quick Reply: FabSpeed XPipe and FabSpeed Exhaust