Sponsored by:

Best auction site to sell 997.1 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 09:03 AM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Best auction site to sell 997.1 Cab

I am selling my 2007 Carrera S (https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1224741) and Pcarmarket has called me twice to get me to list my car (they claim a 90% sale through). I also used Bring a Trailer once (BMW 325i) did not reach reserve. There is also the new site, Cars & Bids.

All seem to charge $99 to list.

Thoughts
Old 12-09-2020, 10:17 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Perhaps any of the auction sites starting in in March or April if trying to appeal to broader, more national market.

BAT is cool, but your car needs to be pristine, no prior damage, no needs (tires. brakes, services) and good service records or the peanut gallery will nit pick it. Perhaps your reserve reflected an unreasonable expectation on the 325 given condition of the car and I would not think that a 325 would be as liquid as a solid, no stories, no needs 997.

Looking at your ad from a BAT perspective:

(1) Consider putting new front tires on as you just replaced the rear tires;
(2) Probably needs front rotors as I never just replace pads on these cars and they almost always need new rotors when pads gone;
(3) Car probably needs rear brakes at 59,000 miles or will need rear pads and rotors very soon;
(4) I would include wind deflector and other part on the car with sale or not mention it;
(5) Kind of looks cheap only to replace front shocks, but not the rear shocks making one think that will have to be soon.

Looks like your dropped a lot of money on this car very recently, how much in total did your drop for all of that work.

Last edited by Doug H; 12-09-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:48 AM
BrantyB
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I sold my Cayman on Cars & Bids. Overall I was satisfied.

A few things to keep in mind:
- The process takes longer than you may think: from submitting the car to the final bidding was 5-6 weeks.
- The reserve they required was almost uncomfortably low: basically trade-in value
- The final day was stressful because with 20 seconds remaining bidding was at the reserve. There was then a flurry of activity; which was kinda fun.
- C&B is more along the lines of what BaT used to be, cars to be driven not collected therefore not the high premium sales values.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:08 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,124 Posts

PCarMarket lost me when they started not selling just Porsche's.

I'd stick with BAT or Cars and Bids.

Regarding reserve, yes, their goal for their purpose is that your car sells, probably so that you're more satisfied and they get paid a larger amount too.

Just make sure you take lots of pics and include as much documentation as possible. You also need to be relatively involved in the auction answering questions, specifically at the end. Getting a PPI up front too may not be a bad idea.
Old 12-09-2020, 05:36 PM
southbay
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 199 Posts

Provide a DME report because on BAT the commenters/bidders will ask for it.

Found a comp: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-cabriolet-12/

Last edited by southbay; 12-09-2020 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:57 PM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback. My 325i on BAT was a 1990 w/ only 31k miles and a reserve of $14k which it did not meet. Sold 6 months later at 15k

(1) Consider putting new front tires on as you just replaced the rear tires; I replaced all four tires
(2) Probably needs front rotors as I never just replace pads on these cars and they almost always need new rotors when pads gone; Rotors were checked by 9 Motion, independent shop, not needed
(3) Car probably needs rear brakes at 59,000 miles or will need rear pads and rotors very soon; No per indie inspection
(4) I would include wind deflector and other part on the car with sale or not mention it; I will
(5) Kind of looks cheap only to replace front shocks, but not the rear shocks making one think that will have to be soon. I did that not because of maintenance, but one shocked failed, and so you have to replace in pairs.

Provide a DME report because on BAT the commenters/bidders will ask for it. I have in my pics, its shown on the Foxwell Code Reader

Found a comp:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-cabriolet-12 That's a good comparison, similar mileage, has sport chrono which is nice, I think black and lobster wheels are a better combo. I also have modern stereo w/bluetooth; backup camera, wind deflector, gundo hack and full service hostory.

Thanks. Maybe i will put my 911 on C & B and my 2016 650i on BAT!
Old 12-10-2020, 02:46 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 657 Likes on 367 Posts

As a buyer, I'm looking closely at PCarmarket, as I've seen some incredibly good deals on that site. As a seller, I'd be looking at BAT. I haven't spent much time on Cars and Bids.

From what I've seen the selling prices seem to be higher on BAT than they are on PCarmarket. I don't have anything scientific to back that up, but just the feel I get from comparable sold listings on both sites over the past several years. I believe much of that is due to the amount of traffic the two sites generate. BAT has a much larger buyer pool regularly viewing the site, and has been known as a place to find really clean Porsches for quite some time. All it takes is one guy who really wants your car. With BAT, you have a greater chance of that one guy 'being in the room'. That said, you're also likely going to have more competition with similar listings.

Regardless of which way you go, you need to get out in front of the standard barrage of questions about these cars and include your answers up front- DME report, oil analysis, IMS issues are the ones that come to mind for the 997.1. They will come up, and be prepared for some jabroni to try and derail your auction by casting doubt on some insignificant minutiae (ie The color of your wiper blades doesn't match exactly, which implies the car has been decreed a total loss at some point in its history).
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 12-12-2020, 12:33 PM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Did some traffic research and this is what I found:

Old 12-12-2020, 02:59 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

In normal times, I found cars on PMARKET are generally over-priced and end up in DEALTANK. Maybe that is intentional.

Last edited by Balr14; 12-12-2020 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:51 AM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

"
In normal times, I found cars on PMARKET are generally over-priced and end up in DEALTANK. Maybe that is intentional." I tend to agree. I am not going to overprice my car. Was thinking a reserve of 35k? I have two potential buyers a bit higher, so will see if that plays out.

Quick Reply: Best auction site to sell 997.1 Cab