Center lock wheel, disk, nut assessment

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 08:28 PM
Centerlock
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Center lock wheel, disk, nut assessment

Hey guys,

I've been taking off the CL wheels for the first time this week. I was wondering if anyone could help me out whether or not the current condition is okay. I attached some pictures below. The only thing that worries me personally is the rusty discolouration on the wheel and the brake disc (according to the Porsche document this would have to be changed).

Thank you in advance and best,

Dennis

Old 12-08-2020, 09:27 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 12-08-2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 12:37 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Personally, I'd hit them with some brake cleaner and a scotch-brite pad to make the surfaces smooth again and put them back together. The alignment pins all look great as do the indents for them in the wheels themselves. If Porsche was really worried about some light surface corrosion on the hub to wheel face, they should have made the hubs out of a different material like aluminum or stainless or put a groove into the wheel where an o-ring seats to prevent the hub surface from ever getting wet. That type of light surface corrosion is impossible to avoid unless the car never gets washed or is never driven in the rain. The discoloration on the wheel itself is just transfer from being mated with the iron hub.
The following users liked this post:
Wolfk (12-10-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 01:10 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

2009 C2S 165K miles

Cripes, you should see mine (non-centerlock) after all of my miles. I believe they are OK, but I have no clue to be sure. If they are not OK, then death for me is just around the next hard turn.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-09-2020, 01:42 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,208 Likes on 775 Posts

What Pete said.

Make sure you use the recommended goop on the nuts. Also tighten to torque, then back off, and then go back to torque. And don't forget to twist the hex fitting in the center of the nut to insure the lock is set (pops out) before putting the hubcap back on.

Porsche has a special tool for the hubcap removal and lock. But you may need to have the parts counter check with the shop in order to know what it is. It should be under $10. Otherwise, unless you have the right sized hex driver, a large screwdriver can work, but it has to be just the right size large screwdriver.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:10 PM
PJP13
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 64 Posts

I had CLs previously and later converted to 5lug.

based on the photos, I think you are in good shape on all 4 corners. The drive pins are the first damaged parts and show issues quickly, your look clean.

assuming you have the technical data about how to properly inspect and tighten, follow those instructions and ask questions if you have any. I would recommend posting those in the 997 GT3,RS forum.

I am happy to share the tech bulletins if you don’t have them. Would you PM me an email address if you need them?

GL

Quick Reply: Center lock wheel, disk, nut assessment