Sponsored by:

Verifying mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 05:18 PM
jamal08
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Verifying mileage

Hello everyone, I have been in search for my first 997 for a while now and there is one that I am trying to purchase. But there seems to be an issue with mileage reported. So the car shows 24990 miles. The title issued in 2014 has 34152 printed on the title. Got a carfax and all the mileage on the carfax is fine with mileage right before title was issued as 19562 then title issued with mileage as 34152. Following the title mileage was reported as 21607 and then again 5 months ago as 23199. I have read some posts about the DME report can verify mileage but also that DME report is not reliable and inaccurate. Then some other posts saying you have to change DME and airbag module along with the instrument cluster but others saying its so easy to change mileage. Just lots of different information wanting to see if there is actually a way to verify mileage or not? Thank you in advance!
Old 12-08-2020, 06:54 PM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 276 Posts

Keep in mind that while the actual mileage may be right...and it sounds like it is...a typo that results in a CarFax "Warning: Odometer discrepancy" notification is very hard to get rid of, and most definitely a value element.
The following users liked this post:
Matt(inMA) (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 06:56 PM
southbay
Burning Brakes

Received 261 Likes on 199 Posts

Durametric can read the DME and provide the total mileage which is a different source than the cluster.
If the mileage before makes sense, as well as after, then it could be a clerical error.
Does the owner have any info?
Old 12-08-2020, 08:29 PM
jamal08
Advanced

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Keep in mind that while the actual mileage may be right...and it sounds like it is...a typo that results in a CarFax "Warning: Odometer discrepancy" notification is very hard to get rid of, and most definitely a value element.
Yeah it seems like a typo, would be odd for someone to roll back the mileage from 34k to 25k but I have seen weirder lol
Old 12-08-2020, 08:30 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Notice that if the car was in Canada, you may get Carfax reporting mileage in kilometers (but showing as miles), or a title registered as KM then if brought to the US and re-reg'd with miles. I believe my 997 DME showed KMs not miles.
The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 08:30 PM
jamal08
Advanced

Originally Posted by southbay
Durametric can read the DME and provide the total mileage which is a different source than the cluster.
If the mileage before makes sense, as well as after, then it could be a clerical error.
Does the owner have any info?
Ok great, car is out of state and found a shop to do ppi so will just confirm with them tomorrow if they will be able to verify mileage. Owner doesn't have any service records or anything with the car unfortunately. Would have made things much easier
Old 12-08-2020, 08:37 PM
jamal08
Advanced

Since the DME also records mileage and I have also read that the airbag module records operating time I wonder if providing those two pieces of information along with prior mileages reported to carfax would be enough. Any ideas?
Old 12-09-2020, 01:21 AM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by jamal08
Yeah it seems like a typo, would be odd for someone to roll back the mileage from 34k to 25k but I have seen weirder lol
About 2005 had buddy sell his 911. He rolled back odo about 20k and listed it, had guy call and ask is the mileage listing right since last state inspection report stated yy miles and you state xx. Lol, he had to roll up odo to 1k past last inspection reported on web.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:16 AM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 276 Posts

FWIW, if you do buy this car, see if you can get the paperwork straightened out. It's difficult, but possible.

A few years ago I bought a 2000 z3 M Roadster (silver/black, quite gorgeous) with 23k miles on it. Clearly the low mileage was a key value element, but there was an obvious odometer discrepancy, something like 18k miles, 108k miles, 19k miles in the records; a fat finger at an oil change shop without question. I bought the car right because I gambled that I would be able to get the issue addressed after the sale. The seller said he had lots of lookers but everyone backed off after seeing the CarFax. After I got the car, I opened a case with CarFax. Not surprisingly, they were familiar with the car, as there were already other open cases on it from other potential buyers who were hoping to get a resolution before committing to purchase. The issue was resolved within a few weeks.

That was a great car, and I only sold it (at a profit) years later when I got my PRHT Miata and discovered how wonderful like could be without canvas tops.

Quick Reply: Verifying mileage