Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minimum operating temperature for PS4S?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 08:00 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 268 Posts

My experience is similar to Doug. I've run mine is below freezing temps. Driving warms the tire up slowly and properly and grips fine once warm. The sipes actually help the tire warm up fairly quickly... I wouldn't want to drive it in conditions which cool the tire... IE rain/snow AND freezing temps. But the cold doesn't bother me...

Cw
Old 12-07-2020, 11:13 PM
Qwksnke
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
My experience is similar to Doug. I've run mine is below freezing temps. Driving warms the tire up slowly and properly and grips fine once warm. The sipes actually help the tire warm up fairly quickly... I wouldn't want to drive it in conditions which cool the tire... IE rain/snow AND freezing temps. But the cold doesn't bother me...

Cw
+3
I do find myself a little more cautious and aware below 40 degrees but after 10 mins or so of driving, the tires get more comfortable and I do too
Old 12-08-2020, 12:51 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler

Cw
Yep, here is my buddy I was meeting at his gym on February 20, 2020, a rare day of snow here (those little white specs are snow . . . its the South so we call that snow). I was in my GTS with UHP summer tires, but I snapped this picture to send to my wife because he was driving in the snow in his RS with Cups on and I thought it hilarious. Neither one of us crashed and burned that day . . . and our tires did not crack or disintegrate. Sure, I am mindful driving, but I do NOT find it dangerous or unsettling.

Last edited by Doug H; 12-08-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:20 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

On second set of PS4S, following a set of PSSs. Live in the Pacific Northwest in the foothills of the Cascades (i.e., about 650 ft.) My car is my daily driver and I drive it to work every day except for the very occasional snow. Temperatures dip into the lower 20s routinely in the middle of the winter, and occasionally in the teens. Therefore, I drive normally (not like a hoon) and have more traction than my company van does with Conti All Seasons on a warm rainy day. The only time I do not drive my 997 is in snow, partly because of the width of the tires (rides on top of the snow), and partly because when it does snow, the snow is deeper than the front of my car. Then I use the company van -- with chains on.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:42 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JustinCase
On second set of PS4S, following a set of PSSs. Live in the Pacific Northwest in the foothills of the Cascades (i.e., about 650 ft.) My car is my daily driver and I drive it to work every day except for the very occasional snow. Temperatures dip into the lower 20s routinely in the middle of the winter, and occasionally in the teens. Therefore, I drive normally (not like a hoon) and have more traction than my company van does with Conti All Seasons on a warm rainy day. The only time I do not drive my 997 is in snow, partly because of the width of the tires (rides on top of the snow), and partly because when it does snow, the snow is deeper than the front of my car. Then I use the company van -- with chains on.
Yep, that’s the key. Don’t drive like a loon and you should be fine, but I was at 9/10s of my car’s grip level in hot, dry weather on that decreasing radius, long sweeping interstate on ramp and the tires were perfectly planted in the lower 30s.

Tire Rack and Michelin are in this to sell tires. Most people purchasing these tires have the budget for winter set ups so it is little if any wonder they (Tire Rack and the mfg) would want people purchasing an extra set of tires.

Years ago, I actually track tested tires and have a pretty decent sense of a tire’s capability and when they are reaching their limits. Michelin also provides the below 20 degree warning for warranty purposes if the tire sustains cracks in the sidewalls.

Last edited by Doug H; 12-08-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:58 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

Regarding the belief that winter tires are a racket and unnecessary for many people... I disagree. While I believe it is not really temperature but snow as the issue.... yes low temperatures reduce traction on summer tires, just slow down... you will burn the same amount of rubber over time with or without winter tires. If you buy winter tires, in time, you will have purchased the same amount of tires. The tire companies will not have sold any more tires to me.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
The following 3 users liked this post by Bruce In Philly:
dmpslc (12-08-2020), Liste-Renn (12-09-2020), Tj40 (12-09-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 01:01 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 284 Posts

last two rides on my cup 2s in NNJ temps have been hovering just below 40. high 30s.

clearly not optimum but dry - - - I think it matters if the tires are warm
Old 12-08-2020, 01:31 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Yep, here is my buddy I was meeting at his gym on February 20, 2020, a rare day of snow here (those little white specs are snow . . . its the South so we call that snow). I was in my GTS with UHP summer tires, but I snapped this picture to send to my wife because he was driving in the snow in his RS with Cups on and I thought it hilarious. Neither one of us crashed and burned that day . . . and our tires did not crack or disintegrate. Sure, I am mindful driving, but I do NOT find it dangerous or unsettling.
This is what's called snow up this way...

The following 2 users liked this post by Ironman88:
Tj40 (12-09-2020), VT Blue (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 01:43 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Regarding the belief that winter tires are a racket and unnecessary for many people... I disagree. While I believe it is not really temperature but snow as the issue.... yes low temperatures reduce traction on summer tires, just slow down... you will burn the same amount of rubber over time with or without winter tires. If you buy winter tires, in time, you will have purchased the same amount of tires. The tire companies will not have sold any more tires to me.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Not truly what I am saying. You guys up North may need them, but I never have living in Tennessee, Florida and California.

Not sure we can generalize one way or another about number of tires sold. Michelin would be happy to sell their winter tires to a guy with Pirelli summers. Some may just put winter tires on the rims they have and discard the summers tires. Some may also always put new rubber on in spring time rather than going with older used tires. I would probably fall into that last category.

We also don’t know profit margins. Perhaps Michelin makes higher profit off a winter tire, maybe not. Tire companies are in the business of selling tires and I am sure they are glad to have people purchase both a winter and a summer set. Perhaps your right, perhaps your not. Only the tire company market analyst, number crunching nerds probably know for sure.

Last edited by Doug H; 12-08-2020 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:46 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ironman88
This is what's called snow up this way...

True dat!

Come on you wussies. Real men don’t need winter tires and chains for that. I’d be out on my R6s drifting around those turns in that.
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (12-08-2020)
Old 12-08-2020, 04:01 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

Brought my Targa 4 with Michelin Super Sports back from Montreal (2.5 hour drive) in a late spring ice storm. The trees along the highway were leaning over because of the weight of the ice. Not once did I feel like I lost traction.
Old 12-08-2020, 10:25 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

Believe me, colder temps and snow make a HUGE difference up here. Though the 997 stays tucked inside, I put dedicated snows on my SUV and my wife's.

The difference in the rubber compound of proper snows makes stopping, starting out and turning in cold weather/snow an entirely different ballgame when compared to summers, all-seasons, etc. -- the difference is measurable and material.

I won't drive up here without them, and I grew up in western Michigan (lake effect) learning to drive in my mom's Firebird formula (worst. winter. car. ever.).

Snows are not a gimmick, at least if you get the good ones and are in a place like VT. Nokian Hakkapellittas cannot be beat. Period. They are the only ones we use for winter rubber.

Thx!

Bob
The following 2 users liked this post by VT Blue:
Ironman88 (12-08-2020), Liste-Renn (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 01:08 AM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,342 Likes on 609 Posts

Mr. "Who cares about the cost" is basing his denial of winter tire compound tread importance on marketing falsehood.

Yeah, and racers don't change out their slicks when it rains because it would cost too much and it really doesn't matter as long as you are careful.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:16 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 268 Posts

I think some of you are missing the picture. The thread asked about temperature. And it is, as noted several times, fine to run a PS4S in cold temps. Matter of fact it's about 25* this morning and I'm taking the car out... the difference comes with precipitation. Doug, et al. have not recommended/suggested a summer tire in cold wet or snowy conditions. There are obviously far superior solutions and setups for that scenario.

Cw
The following users liked this post:
Doug H (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 01:45 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
Mr. "Who cares about the cost" is basing his denial of winter tire compound tread importance on marketing falsehood.

Yeah, and racers don't change out their slicks when it rains because it would cost too much and it really doesn't matter as long as you are careful.
Really don't see your point here and misconstrues what I said. You are just being obstinate perhaps and trying to be argumentative out of some petty resentment. CW Wheeler nailed it above.

I don't think anyone on here is going for optimal lap times and driving 10/10s all the way to work or on public streets in cold, rainy and snowy weather.

Again, my example you took issue with was simply my experience that my car with these tires was rock steady with no drama at about 9/10s of the car's limits on these tires in hot weather on a long decreasing radius exit ramp in low 30 degree temperature, clear day about a mile from my house just THIS PAST WEEK.

I would be willing to bet that I would have some drama or a little push at that same speed in hot weather on a crappy tire on that ramp so the PS4S may actually be just as good in 30 degree temps on dry roads as a crappier tire. The video I attached seemed to suggest the same.

My real point you are ignoring is that the PS4S seems to have plenty of grip for year around driving down South where we rarely see snow or any real accumulation of snow. If your experience in Hawaii is different, so be it.

Last edited by Doug H; 12-09-2020 at 01:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Minimum operating temperature for PS4S?