Sponsored by:

Minimum operating temperature for PS4S?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 04:28 PM
dmpslc
Racer

Received 278 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
I think some of you are missing the picture. The thread asked about temperature. And it is, as noted several times, fine to run a PS4S in cold temps. Matter of fact it's about 25* this morning and I'm taking the car out... the difference comes with precipitation. Doug, et al. have not recommended/suggested a summer tire in cold wet or snowy conditions. There are obviously far superior solutions and setups for that scenario.
I don't think this a correct assertion. The compound of the tire is specifically designed for certain temperatures, if you are outside the range of that design your tire will not perform properly or as expected - regardless of precipitation. Michelin and plenty of other sources will tell you that a high performance summer tire is not intended to perform below 40 degrees due to the formulation of the compound. Tires are not the only material significantly affected by temperature. Yes you can drive on them, not they won't explode. But the also won't grip the same and it's possible to damage tread blocks and structural elements of the tire.

Yes. Precipitation will further reduce your traction.
The following users liked this post:
Liste-Renn (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 11:49 AM
997ajk
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Something worth considering... If the road is try and temp around 0C, braking distance and handling of summer tire is still superior.

https://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Articl...-Tyre-Test.htm

Old 12-10-2020, 02:39 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by dmpslc
I don't think this a correct assertion. The compound of the tire is specifically designed for certain temperatures, if you are outside the range of that design your tire will not perform properly or as expected - regardless of precipitation. Michelin and plenty of other sources will tell you that a high performance summer tire is not intended to perform below 40 degrees due to the formulation of the compound. Tires are not the only material significantly affected by temperature. Yes you can drive on them, not they won't explode. But the also won't grip the same and it's possible to damage tread blocks and structural elements of the tire.

Yes. Precipitation will further reduce your traction.
Ok. We can go back and forth on this all day long. Point is, that as a racer, I can tell you with 100% certainty that outside temps have little to do with this. The road temp, and most importantly, rubber temp, is what is important. I ran race slicks in 35* temps this spring at Roebling Road. I had to lower tire pressure and push HARD to ensure that rubber temp stayed close to the ideal range. They worked beautifully.

These street tires are similar. If the tires are warmed or close to operating temp, meaning they are rolling down a dry road, they will grip more than enough for street driving. Just because the temp is 41* vs 39* is not gonna matter a hill of beans. The PS4S is not a race tire. It has a wide operating temp.

*****I would not want to MOUNT these tires cold***** the rubber would likely crack.

Running the PS4S at any temp in the dry is perfectly acceptable.

Cw

Quick Reply: Minimum operating temperature for PS4S?