Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev limiter on 997.2 with PDK

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2020 | 04:23 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Default Rev limiter on 997.2 with PDK

It's my understanding that the the 997.2 has a rev limiter for upshifts.

However, all that I've read so far doesn't seem to apply for downshifts. Namely because the rev limiter function on manual transmissions cars can not predict nor keep you from accidentally going say from 5th to 2nd!!!

So for those of us who have PDK cars, it's a given that the gear changes are always sequential up or down. Hence my next question: Are the PDK electronics intelligent enough to not allow the downshift to a lower gear if doing so with the current high revs would cause an over rev condition?

PS: I rather ask the question instead of going out and trying to find out myself!
Old 12-04-2020 | 05:09 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

The PDK will not downshift if that implies an over rev will occur. This is true in either auto or manual operation.

It is possible to bounce off the rev limiter in manual shift mode while accelerating. I have done this, twice.

It is possible to over rev on extreme downhills if you are engine braking. I've never done this but I have heard this can happen in manual mode. It may be possible in auto mode as well since an unexpected upshift in this condition could create an unsafe condition.

Otherwise the PDK is pretty much idiot proof.
The following users liked this post:
sandwedge (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020 | 12:00 AM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Yes the pdk typically won't let you over rev the engine.

Interesting question on the engine braking I would assume it would upshift as it won't let you downshift as you are braking into a corner if the revs will be too high. Although I don't know how close it will let you come.

Porsche guidelines for CPO is basically don't worry about over revs on pdk cars so I assume from that that Porsche assume their programming won't let it happen. ;-)
Old 12-05-2020 | 09:07 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

No way to significantly overev a PDK. Let's say you're in 4th and near redline and getting ready to brake for a corner, even if you request a double downshift to 2nd, it will only do them one at a time at the time when it will result in a non-overev. This is one of the things the factory drivers love about the transmission as they know what gear they need for every corner so as they come in, they can request the gear they need at the entry even if it's 2 gears then just focus on the braking zone and the line and the be in the gear they want when they get back on the gas. In a PDK equipped cat I don't think a DME report will ever sow anything past a Range 2 overev and the ranges in the report are differently between the .1 and . 2 cars.
Old 12-05-2020 | 11:57 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Thanks Pete! I was sort of waiting for your reply and the usual insights that you always give.

Hope you and your loved ones are safe and well in these most stressfull times.

Last edited by Astur; 12-05-2020 at 11:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Petza914 (12-05-2020)

Quick Reply: Rev limiter on 997.2 with PDK