Groaning sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 04:21 PM
StutlerBros
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Groaning sound

Good afternoon,

I purchased my first Porsche, a C4S, a month ago, and while I love the car, I'm trying to identify a persistent noise.

I'm hoping for some help in eliminating a groaning / low squeal sound. It sounds like a low pitched brake squeal, but, unlike a brake squeal, the sound is short in duration. It doesn't seem to be a rotational sound like you would expect from brakes. The sound occurs at low speeds, generally while turning left, but has also begun to make the sound occasionally when turning right. Additionally, it will make the noise when going over harsh bumps at low speeds (like every freaking time I pull into or out of my garage!) and under light braking.

Initially I thought the sound may be a warped rotor, and because the brakes were due to be replaced, I went ahead and replaced all 4 rotors and pads. That, of course, didn't make any change to the sound. Since then, I've tried spraying all the bushing with lube to see if I could identify a culprit.

It's really difficult to even determine if the sound is coming from the front or rear, left or right, as the sound seems to resonate throughout the entire car. It does seem to be more prevalent since the weather has turned colder.

It is difficult, if not impossible, to hear the groan from outside the car.

If you have any input on areas I should target, I'd love some direction.

Thanks in advance!

Jon
Old 12-03-2020, 04:37 PM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Check out Bruce's post on using wireless chassis ears. I had no idea such a thing existed, I stumbled on his post, I bought a set off Amazon, and used them to very easily diagnose an annoying clunking sound in my brand new suspension (was a bad monoball upper strut mount). They are like $200 but worth it because you will have them for life and can save a lot of money and time not replacing things that don't need to be replaced. My guess is that it is a suspension bushing somewhere... could be sway bar bushings, or any of the round rubber bushings.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ed-advice.html

These are the ones I bought:
Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (12-03-2020)
Old 12-03-2020, 04:57 PM
slowslowcar
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

I have the same groaning sound. Feels like it’s coming from the steering rack/front suspension. It gets louder as the car warms up and during parked turning of the wheel to both sides. My understanding is that it could be the top hats/bushings of the front suspension.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:41 PM
StutlerBros
3rd Gear

In my case, my front struts and strut bearings have been replaced recently. Mine doesn't make the noise by simply turning the steering wheel the way a strut bushing would. If I were to guess, the sound in mine sounds more like it's from the rear.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:28 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,376 Likes on 1,245 Posts

Wheel bearing maybe?
Old 12-03-2020, 06:31 PM
StutlerBros
3rd Gear

I wondered about a wheel bearing, but I don't feel any play in the wheel when I try to rock the wheel when it's on stands. Additionally, I don't the typical groan sounds of a bearing at speed.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:42 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Question It makes a groaning sound?

Originally Posted by StutlerBros
It is difficult, if not impossible, to hear the groan from outside the car.

If you have any input on areas I should target, I'd love some direction.

Thanks in advance!

Jon
Groaning sound? Are we talking about cars here?
Old 12-03-2020, 08:16 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 982 Posts

2009 C2S 164K miles

If it is the strut bearings on the top, you can easily fix that..... a short-term fix is to squirt a ton of silicon lubricant up there.. spin the wheel left-right etc. Better is to shoot some Winzer Polylube up there. Read about it here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ube-it-up.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 12-03-2020, 08:57 PM
slowslowcar
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 164K miles

If it is the strut bearings on the top, you can easily fix that..... a short-term fix is to squirt a ton of silicon lubricant up there.. spin the wheel left-right etc. Better is to shoot some Winzer Polylube up there. Read about it here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ube-it-up.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
thanks Bruce. Where can I buy this stuff? Not on Amazon, or autozone etc
Old 12-03-2020, 09:25 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slowslowcar
thanks Bruce. Where can I buy this stuff? Not on Amazon, or autozone etc
Your Porsche dealer sells it at their parts counter (at least mine does).... I have seen it used at a BMW speed shop where the tech said they get it from some wholesaler.

Winzer Polylube is like the best stuff on the planet.... penetrates, dissolves, goes in as a liquid, then sets up as a sticky high-temp grease.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 12-03-2020 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:19 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,723 Likes on 4,276 Posts

If it has just started doing it now that the weather has cooled off where you live, it's likely the sway bar bushings. Take apart and regrease or replace them while you're in there. Rears are easy, fronts a little less so because of what has to be removed and loosened to get to them.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:31 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
If it has just started doing it now that the weather has cooled off where you live, it's likely the sway bar bushings. Take apart and re grease or replace them while you're in there. Rears are easy, fronts a little less so because of what has to be removed and loosened to get to them.
Winzer Polylube will most likely penetrate without removal. I would try a squirt, and then get in and go for a slow drive on undulating bumps to work it in.. If that didn't work, then I would take it all apart.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 12-04-2020 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:34 AM
Porschejam
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 41 Posts

Maybe you need to leave the wife at home.

Sorry, but someone had to say it...

Last edited by Porschejam; 12-04-2020 at 10:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Groaning sound