Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Living with Bore Scoring - Tips and Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020 | 12:54 PM
slowslowcar
Instructor

Default Living with Bore Scoring - Tips and Tricks

For those of you living with bore scoring, how are you prolonging the life of the engine/coping?

Obviously, the best/correct thing to do would be a full rebuild, but in the interim, whether a few months or years, what steps have you taken to live with the scared motor and/or address the common symptoms of bore scoring?

Here is what I've gathered:

1. Have mild heart attack, then breath
2. Confirm it is in fact bore scoring (borescope) or decide to live under a rock (ignorance is bliss)
3. If yes, change oil often (it is still unclear which oil is best for this purpose; JR recommends Valvoline Premium Blue Engine Restore Diesel Oil 10w-30 but there are issues around price/accessability and lack of detail, how long to run, etc.)
4. Follow proper warm-up procedures - start car and idle 10-30 seconds and drive off slowly, keep revs under 3k until it reaches operating temp (200 degrees), and above 3k after
5. Keep a close eye on oil consumption and other factors such as engine noise and smoke

Outstanding questions:
1. Can you still enjoy the car as it was meant to be enjoyed (spirited canyon drives/track days), or will that accelerate the M97s inevitable demise?
2. How long have you been running a scored motor? Have the symptoms gotten worse?
3. Any additives that actually help? The consensus view on this is fck no, but you never know...i'm looking for unicorn snake oil that will regenerate the cylinder wall linings if possible

Other tips/tricks would be appreciated.

Last edited by slowslowcar; 11-18-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2020 | 01:07 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

I really have nothing to answer your quest..... besides the fact that you need to relax, breathe, meditate, walk in nature and not worry about your engine
An oil change every 5K miles, some patient oil warming up to 200 degrees and you are good to go and floor the pedal.

Just enjoy it.

Yves
The following users liked this post:
Robert Kaufman (11-23-2020)
Old 11-18-2020 | 02:06 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

ok, once you know that the car has bore-scoring - you know for fact that the piston scratches the cylinder walls - why would you want to drive that car to the limit?
I think @JustinCase lived with bore scoring for a while and had a proper plan throughout until he got the engine rebuilt. I'd suggest reading through his thread/posts if you haven't already.
Old 11-18-2020 | 02:12 PM
slowslowcar
Instructor

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
ok, once you know that the car has bore-scoring - you know for fact that the piston scratches the cylinder walls - why would you want to drive that car to the limit?
I think @JustinCase lived with bore scoring for a while and had a proper plan throughout until he got the engine rebuilt. I'd suggest reading through his thread/posts if you haven't already.
There are countless M97s out there with bore scoring that are driven hard (many that don't exhibit symptoms or owners are unaware of the issue).

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if anyone has enjoyed their sports car as intended with this known issue (taking certain precautions of course)

Last edited by slowslowcar; 11-18-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2020 | 02:14 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

You don't even know you definitely have it yet! Scope it man.
The following users liked this post:
Doug H (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020 | 02:16 PM
slowslowcar
Instructor

Originally Posted by rtl5009
You don't even know you definitely have it yet! Scope it man.
Yeah, I should. That's one of the next steps, but i'm prepping for a worst-case scenario.

My garage is an hour away, and work has been brutal. Much easier to daydream and type on a keyboard...
Old 11-18-2020 | 02:33 PM
andino
Racer

Living with bore scoring largely depends on how back your scoring is. Usually, when your car is exhibiting symptoms, it would indicate the damage is pretty bad. At least this is what I've gathered from reading into the issue and watching the Raby series on it. You can probably still drive it hard if you choose but you'll only make the problem worse. Mechanical problems don't get better with abuse. Scoring can be mild until its not anymore. In addition to blow by, your piston is wearing away at the cylinder wall and all that particulate is getting into the oil and circulating through everything. With time, you'll start to damage other items in your motor not to mention you can also the chance of the piston destroy the block in extreme cases.

So yeah, I suppose you could still drive it hard but for how long, that's a tough one to answer. The best path forward to figure out how bad your scoring is (if you have it, although all your symptoms seem to point to it). Only then can you figure out your best path forward.
Old 11-18-2020 | 02:57 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

I would have the cylinders scoped immediately to put any doubt to rest. If there was scored cylinders, the damage is already done. Next, I would take the car out of commission (non op registration, reduce insurance) and then drop the motor. I would visit the local Porsche dismantling yard for a long block or even a spare motor. This would be a perfect opportunity to go the LN Engineering route. I wouldn't stress about it as it would be a perfect time to build a faster and stronger engine.

https://lnengineering.com/porsche-99...m-nickies.html
Old 11-18-2020 | 03:09 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Get an oil analysis with each oil change; the amount of metals (aluminum, I believe) and silicon would be somewhat telling as to unusual/excessive wear or revealing of consistent increases in wear. Of course along with oil usage, soot on tail pipes, piston slapping noises, etc. A simple scope thru the spark plug could also provide some, not 100% of indication. That is, if you see it there, you know its there, but how long its been like that and how quickly is it scoring(?) -refer to the above to monitor and review past oil reports if you have them.

If you don't see anything from the spark plug hole, it is some comfort, but not 100% as you'd have to look from the bottom as well according to the experts. I find it hard to digest that you could only have scoring partly up the bottom third (?) or so of the wall and not beyond the point where you would see it from the top with the piston at its lowest point, but, that's what people who know significantly more than I say.
Old 11-18-2020 | 03:10 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Ive said it once and Ill say it again, Ill scope it for free if you come down to Philadelphia. Bring a filter and a quart of oil and well check that out as well. Make sure to drive the car hard on the way down, now that you have waited this long it needs to be hot to keep me warm. Depending on how adventurous you are 90 miles can be had in a hour on the NJ turnpike.

Last edited by rtl5009; 11-18-2020 at 03:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rtl5009:
myw (11-18-2020), tegraphile (11-19-2020)
Old 11-18-2020 | 03:14 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 164K miles

IIRC Baz at Hartech had advice for running with scoring. After you let Rob diagnose your engine, send him an email.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-18-2020 | 03:21 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

My Honda lawnmower has bore scoring. I did a bore scope when I changed the spark plug. That was 5 years ago and it still runs like a champ and starts at the first pull ..... every time. Doesn't burn oil and now 8 years into it, might just be the last lawnmower I ever need. If and when it finally gives me problem, I'll invest into an electric model for sure.
The following 2 users liked this post by HenryPcar:
voiceprint1 (11-18-2020), yvesvidal (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020 | 03:22 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Aircooled lawn equipment is notorious for scoring lol.
Old 11-18-2020 | 03:27 PM
slowslowcar
Instructor

At this point, let's assume cylinders have scoring. Interested in how people have progressed besides the rebuild route.
Old 11-18-2020 | 03:28 PM
slowslowcar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 164K miles

IIRC Baz at Hartech had advice for running with scoring. After you let Rob diagnose your engine, send him an email.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
thanks for the info, will look into that.

Quick Reply: Living with Bore Scoring - Tips and Tricks