Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

contemplating 997 turbo, any years better than others

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 01:27 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Indie shop near me had an 08 tip turbo with 70k miles and very well taken care of, for a very reasonable price. I would have preferred a PDK, but with a turbo, the transmission doesn't really matter. The car was a blast to drive. Made my 997.C2S feel like a Civic. But, I gave it a great deal of thought and I just can't see myself ever buying a coupe. I have a turbo/manual BMW and have had other turbo/manual cars in the past. I find the boost drop between gears gets really annoying over time.

In all the research I have been doing, looking for my next P car, I have found no issues that have not already been mentioned. Every year seems really solid. However, one thing I have noticed is they are all expensive. I have been looking at a 991.2 C2S as a reasonable alternative. Better prices, low miles and lots of CPOs.

Last edited by Balr14; 11-18-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-06-2020, 06:41 PM
colegno
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

1st post! Current '15 GTI owner looking, like the OP, for a 997 TT but concerned about the coolant pipe leaks.
Can a PPI determine if the original pipes have been replaced and how the job was done i.e. welded or pinned?
Does the engine need to be dropped in order make that determination? Seems like a boroscope might get the job done.
It would be great to find Turbo's with paperwork attesting to the work being performed by a competent shop but that's been an outlier, so far, in my searches.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:58 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
Indie shop near me had an 08 tip turbo with 70k miles and very well taken care of, for a very reasonable price. I would have preferred a PDK, but with a turbo, the transmission doesn't really matter. The car was a blast to drive. Made my 997.C2S feel like a Civic. But, I gave it a great deal of thought and I just can't see myself ever buying a coupe. I have a turbo/manual BMW and have had other turbo/manual cars in the past. I find the boost drop between gears gets really annoying over time.

In all the research I have been doing, looking for my next P car, I have found no issues that have not already been mentioned. Every year seems really solid. However, one thing I have noticed is they are all expensive. I have been looking at a 991.2 C2S as a reasonable alternative. Better prices, low miles and lots of CPOs.
I had the opposite experience, drove my 997S over to my neighbors house as he was selling a manual 997.1 Turbo. I drove it and surprised it felt heavy (AWD?) and boring. My 997S with PCCB on the other hand has instant throttle response, great sound and superior agility - for me much more appealing. Now maybe I need to do 100mph+ and really open it up and i'll change my mind on the Turbo, but driving around town at 70mph and below was very boring in the Turbo unlike my 997S. Just my experience! I didn't buy the Turbo obviously.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:44 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

2009 turbos are supposed to have better coolant pipe glue than previous years. I think it's less risky than either bore scoring or IMS on 997.1 non turbos.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:09 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
I had the opposite experience, drove my 997S over to my neighbors house as he was selling a manual 997.1 Turbo. I drove it and surprised it felt heavy (AWD?) and boring. My 997S with PCCB on the other hand has instant throttle response, great sound and superior agility - for me much more appealing. Now maybe I need to do 100mph+ and really open it up and i'll change my mind on the Turbo, but driving around town at 70mph and below was very boring in the Turbo unlike my 997S. Just my experience! I didn't buy the Turbo obviously.
If I was comparing a manual/turbo to my 997.2S I would agree with you. I am hearing impaired, so sound doesn't matter to me. You are influenced by sound, I am influenced by feel.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:03 PM
colegno
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

Jaskfri,
Do you know if the 2009 and later Turbos' plastic pipes were also replaced with metal?
I've read that besides the glue failing there were also problems with the plastic cracking.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:41 PM
PowderJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 161 Posts

Once you spool the turbos and get on it at ~3500 RPM there is no going back.

Quick Reply: contemplating 997 turbo, any years better than others