Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2020, 06:49 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts
Default Key Transponder - Questions for RF Engineers

2009 C2S 162K miles

Battery was dying... would not open the trunk... had to get close to unlock the door. OK, in replacing the battery, I decided to get out a bottle of alcohol and some Q-tips and clean all the contacts. I don't know how crud gets in there but it does.

So with my nerd (or is it geek?) Opti Visor Magnifier I see this little chicklet with no electrical connections:

Opti Visor magnifier Opti Visor magnifier
Transponder Chip: pcf7936as

This is a Security Transponder (HITAG2).

How does this thing work? How does this work with no power supply?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

See the chicklet security module below at about the 7-8 o'clock position in the battery cavity:

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 10-20-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:02 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 714 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly

The short answer is the power comes from an external antenna; a signal is beamed "to" the transponder, and it emits a coded signal "back" to the external system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transponder
Old 10-20-2020, 07:07 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 162K miles

Battery was dying... would not open the trunk... had to get close to unlock the door. OK, in replacing the battery, I decided to get out a bottle of alcohol and some Q-tips and clean all the contacts. I don't know how crud gets in there but it does.

So with my nerd (or is it geek?) Opti Visor Magnifier I see this little chicklet with no electrical connections:

Opti Visor magnifier
Transponder Chip: pcf7936as

This is a Security Transponder (HITAG2).

Peace
Bruce in Philly

See the chicklet security module below at about the 7-8 o'clock position in the battery cavity:
The little "pill" in your keyfob is officially called an RFID and is energized by the car's transmitter. When the car sends out a RF signal, it energizes the RFID and returns an encrypted rolling code that only your car's ECU/security module can decode. Once they complete a successful handshake, the ECU tells the car it's ok to start. Does the process pretty quick too. lol

Old 10-20-2020, 07:12 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Check this thread out from Skip (i.e. Porschetech3). Skip was a Porsche Gold Meister Technician before retiring at 40 years in the automotive service industry.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...spare-key.html
Old 10-21-2020, 10:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
The little "pill" in your keyfob is officially called an RFID and is energized by the car's transmitter. When the car sends out a RF signal, it energizes the RFID and returns an encrypted rolling code that only your car's ECU/security module can decode. Once they complete a successful handshake, the ECU tells the car it's ok to start. Does the process pretty quick too. lol
So, how does anyone steal these cars without the key that has the coded RFID chip, as I know they get stolen, like the one in New Mexico or Vegas (can't remember which).
Old 10-21-2020, 06:02 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,579 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
So, how does anyone steal these cars without the key that has the coded RFID chip, as I know they get stolen, like the one in New Mexico or Vegas (can't remember which).
You would go on e-bay and buy a matched set/programmed DME/Immobilizer/ key,(about $500) use a slidehammer to yank the ignition lock out, unlock the steering and plug up the DME and Immobilizer, using the matched key to immobilizer antenna, start the car and drive it off.

OR you just use a rollback to drag the car up on it with the tow hook and drive off, then take your time with the electrical swap.

Not that I know anyone who has done this or have done it myself, but that's how it could be done.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:40 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
You would go on e-bay and buy a matched set/programmed DME/Immobilizer/ key,(about $500) use a slidehammer to yank the ignition lock out, unlock the steering and plug up the DME and Immobilizer, using the matched key to immobilizer antenna, start the car and drive it off.

OR you just use a rollback to drag the car up on it with the tow hook and drive off, then take your time with the electrical swap.

Not that I know anyone who has done this or have done it myself, but that's how it could be done.
Isn't the DME in the back under the Bose subwoofer. Isn't that what I had to access for the twisted pair of wires to connect the 3axis accelerometer to for my DSC controller to work or can this somehow be circumvented at the front once the ignition switch is disconnected?
Old 10-21-2020, 07:33 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Isn't the DME in the back under the Bose subwoofer. Isn't that what I had to access for the twisted pair of wires to connect the 3axis accelerometer to for my DSC controller to work or can this somehow be circumvented at the front once the ignition switch is disconnected?
Yep, if you don't have Bose, you just grab the carpet/foam and pull it out exposing the DME and other electronics.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:20 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Yep, if you don't have Bose, you just grab the carpet/foam and pull it out exposing the DME and other electronics.
So, we mow have another reason to buy the S over the base - as an anti-theft deterrent
​​​​​
Old 10-21-2020, 08:24 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

So, we mow have another reason to buy the S over the base - as an anti-theft deterrent
​​​​​
Yea, removing the Bose speakers take a whole 30 seconds, not a lot of deterrent, but every little bit helps..

Quick Reply: Key Transponder - Questions for RF Engineers