dmpslc
Racer

Received 278 Likes on 143 Posts

I would drive the heck out of that!!!
Old 10-20-2020, 09:38 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

but reviews on those don't seem to soften the ride at all.

Well, softening the ride is not the objective of suspension modifications. Doing a suspension modification with any and all aftermarket suspension components are only to improve handling and body roll etc. The softest ride would be achieved with basic, stock shocks and springs, that are already worn out.
Any and all aftermarket are going to be stiffer and harder than stock components
Old 10-20-2020, 10:07 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by OKB

Well, softening the ride is not the objective of suspension modifications. Doing a suspension modification with any and all aftermarket suspension components are only to improve handling and body roll etc. The softest ride would be achieved with basic, stock shocks and springs, that are already worn out.
Any and all aftermarket are going to be stiffer and harder than stock components
Improving handling sometimes means a softer suspension. A softer suspension with more body roll helps on slick, loose, or rough surfaces. Bilstein sells a comfort version of the B16. And PASM throws a bit of a curve ball. For OEM, when "on" they stiffen up the ride but when they are "off" they are not really off. When "off" they are just at a softer setting. DSC controller does soften up the ride a bit compared to stock. It uses a wider range of settings and changes stiffness based on driving.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:50 PM
stan4life
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OKB

A poster on another site gave a run down from testing out Chris Harris GT3 with the same type of suspension the Tuthill car in my initial post uses, EXE-TC. The poster compares it to being on a magic carpet ride, the ride quality and body control being so good that it just soaks up any road imperfection. But at 10k + and many more components that are beyond my budget or understanding, it is sadly an overreach for me. I believe I will be looking at the DSC module next year when the car is out of storage.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:38 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by jennifer911:
dmpslc (10-22-2020), ManoTexas (10-23-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 06:14 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Damptronic Coilovers

Originally Posted by Hula
Once the OEM needs replacing you can upgrade to a Bilstein B16 DampTronic Coilover Kit. It will still retain PASM functionality, still work with the DSC controller, and will offer things like ride height adjustment. There are a few brands and models of aftermarket kits available that are PASM compatible.
Hula, Do you have B16 Damptronic coilovers in your 997? I am close to ordering the 15mm - 30mm set for my 997.2 C4S Sport PASM Manual, but have not met anyone who has this setup.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:38 PM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

If it were my car, I'd ensure it has PPF for the rock chips and dirt that get kicked up, I'd put a DSC controller on it, and I'd leave the stock PASM shocks in place and replace them with OEM units if and when they fail. I would not upgrade the suspension, get coilovers, etc. I agree with the suggestions of moving to 18" wheels and tires, though your tire selection is quite limited in 997 18" sizes, so I'd only do that if you hate the OEM wheels.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:15 PM
stan4life
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hindsight2010
If it were my car, I'd ensure it has PPF for the rock chips and dirt that get kicked up, I'd put a DSC controller on it, and I'd leave the stock PASM shocks in place and replace them with OEM units if and when they fail. I would not upgrade the suspension, get coilovers, etc. I agree with the suggestions of moving to 18" wheels and tires, though your tire selection is quite limited in 997 18" sizes, so I'd only do that if you hate the OEM wheels.
I think I’ve settle on what your saying.

Next year I’ll be getting the DSC, clear bra and custom mud flaps. I’ll take the car to the cottage and see how it behaves.

My rims are lobsters and they are not going anywhere unless I can find a 18” aftermarket !

The following users liked this post:
Hindsight2010 (10-22-2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 08:33 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkhorse
Hula, Do you have B16 Damptronic coilovers in your 997? I am close to ordering the 15mm - 30mm set for my 997.2 C4S Sport PASM Manual, but have not met anyone who has this setup.
I have the B16s on mine. They're much better than stock PASM and even better with the DSC controller.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:15 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkhorse
Negative still on stock suspension. It seems like the upgrade of choice if you are running a DSC. Lots of threads on them. I'll swap in some B16s when my OEM needs replacing. So many aftermarket upgrades and modifications available for these cars it gets tough to prioritize.

Quick Reply: 997 on back roads ?