997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does NVH feel or sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020 | 01:24 PM
slowslowcar
Instructor

Default What does NVH feel or sound like?

Trying to decide between OEM engine mounts and rennline but not sure what to make of NVH. Can someone please describe what this feels like in the real world? Does the engine sound louder? is there more seat vibration? Does the road make more noise (like with different types of tires)?

Last edited by slowslowcar; 10-16-2020 at 01:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hella-Buggin' (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020 | 01:37 PM
andino
Racer

There's more engine noise in the cable as well as more road noise from tires. I think the main change is additional vibration through the driveline into the cabin. Things like buzzing from trans tunnel and plastic vibrating from the stiffer mounts. I did the trans insert and engine mount from FunctionFirst at the same time. I don't find it unbearable but some may think the change is too much as there are complaints about the added noise from a numeric shifter/cables. I'd say the added NVH is similar but slightly more as the engine makes more noise. I find it nice though because stock, the engine was a bit muted with windows up.
Old 10-16-2020 | 01:40 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

What it feels like is this.... it feels like the engine is bolted to the frame rather than being suspended by soft marshmallows.
So when you blip the throttle the car twists a bit and you feel the revs. The noise, is tough to describe as it's more like the tone of that connection.
Some don't like it. I would never go back. I like the responsiveness and would rather feel what's going. On the freeway it's a bit louder but worth it.
Old 10-17-2020 | 09:12 AM
Uwon
Rennlist Member

To both respondents, which version of the Function First motor mounts did you install, soft, sport, or track?
TIA
Old 10-17-2020 | 10:02 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

There will also be some RPMs where trim pieces and other things oscillate and vibrate, like right around 2,800-3,000 rpm.

I have RSS engine mounts and FF orange trans mounts. Just added the trans mounts this year, and notice absolutely no additional NVH from them than I already had, just superb shifting and precision with the OEM SSK my car has.

Quick Reply: What does NVH feel or sound like?