Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter not centered after realignment!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 10:08 PM
Kamranparuk
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter not centered after realignment!!

Hey guys so of course I had the typical issues with selecting 1st and 2nd. Changed the oil and there was a slight improvement and just realigned the cables but now the selector is hanging a little to the right (no pun intended). The shifts are a lot smoother and I feel a huge improvement but is the off the centre shifternormal ? It's a stock SSK 997.1 C2S. Don't mind ripping it apart and doing it again, maybe I used the alignment tool incorrectly.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:58 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 679 Likes on 322 Posts

If you actually used the factory alignment tool and clicked it into the base it’s literally impossible to get the shifter crooked.

you snap it in, it’s perfectly vertical, pop the cables in, pop them back out for good measure, pop them in a gain and you are good.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:45 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 105 Posts

You can actually adjust in "real time", in neutral (of course) pop offending cable out of its adjusting clip, center the shifter to wherever you are happy with the look/feel.
Pop cable back in.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:16 AM
Kamranparuk
Cruisin'

Thanks guys. I tore it all apart and it's more centered now. Unfortunately I got an airbag light on the dash now 🙄
Old 09-17-2020, 04:29 PM
John.berg
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2006 997s, same thing after I adjusted my cables, shifter is loaded to the right. I pulled pretty hard getting the cables tight, does anyone know how much tension should be on these, I suspect none now that I see the shifter sprung to the right and actually didn’t see any improvement, in fact when I shift 1 to 2 it feels like it wants to hit the reverse gate

Also, on your airbag light, I had the airbag light “on” when I bought a 987 boxster, was able to reset but would come back on a day or so later......I bought a used painted console and replace the original. When I pulled the console out I notice the “ Passenger Air Bag” light module in the console was very burn’t, used the one from the replacement console and no more air bag error
Old 09-18-2020, 05:36 AM
ahyiah
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamranparuk
Thanks guys. I tore it all apart and it's more centered now. Unfortunately I got an airbag light on the dash now 🙄
The airbag light can come on if you turned on your car while the center trim was removed. I know this because I made that mistake..

I ended up buying a diagnostic tool (the icarsoft porsche scanner tool, around 150 bucks) and resetting it.
Old 09-18-2020, 06:48 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Kamranparuk
E
Easy fix, remove the steering wheel and index it around a bit so one of the spokes obscures the airbag light when driving...

Trending Topics

Old 09-18-2020, 07:05 AM
Kamranparuk
Cruisin'

Yeah I started it with the console out to see If everything was working fine. Ordered the launch creader crp123 so hopefully that will take care of the light!

Quick Reply: Shifter not centered after realignment!!