Sponsored by:

Mouse onboard

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 09:54 PM
Tim Dailey
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mouse onboard

Found a friend in my 997.1 C4 today. Well...smelled him first. Anyone have thoughts on where the little bugger might have pulled the bedding from? I looked around the garage to see if may have been from something outside the car, but nothing obvious.

Last edited by Tim Dailey; 09-16-2020 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:46 AM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 92 Posts

Are you missing a wash mit?
Old 09-16-2020, 08:21 AM
Tim Dailey
5th Gear

No. First thing I checked.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:42 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Carpet padding, probably.

The more important question is, what are you going to do to get rid of her and her family and friends. Mice leave scent trails wherever they go (they **** constantly) and other mice follow those trails to find food, sex, and a safe place to stay. Now that you have some mice (there is never just one) in your car, you will always have mice in your car unless you take action.

Not only do mice **** and crap wherever they go, but they chew everything. They particularly love the insulation on wires.

BTW, a car that is driven regularly doesn't get mice in it.

Last edited by Iceter; 09-16-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:59 AM
Tim Dailey
5th Gear

The surprise is that I do drive it all the time. Several times a week.

My concerns are the same. What else has it or others done. No obvious signs of anything around the battery compartment, but that doesn't mean much. They can get into all kinds of places.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:21 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,518 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
BTW, a car that is driven regularly doesn't get mice in it.
That's for sure. Since COVID both our DD's have been sitting in the driveway for several days at a time (working from home) and when I performed routine maintenance a few weeks ago both had lots of rat droppings within the engine compartment. Disgusting. Never seen this in 30 years of maintaining cars. My wife's car even had the snap-on engine cover knocked off and it was laying cockeyed on top the engine. I hit both engine compartments liberally with foaming degreaser and washed them down, hopefully it was enough to wipe out the scent.

Last Summer we noticed that when we were relaxing in our spa we would occasionally get a whiff of something that smelled like a barn. Turns out that a rat had tunneled it's way under the spa and built quite a nest by burrowing into the foam insulation. The ingenuity is pretty amazing as there was only one small crevice where it was possible to tunnel and somehow he found it.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:45 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

2009 C2S 159K

I have mice problems, but they haven't got into my car (yet!). I put down bait blocks all over my garage, particularly at the garage door sides (they are the most eaten blocks). Mice run along walls as I understand, so put the blocks where they will bump into them. Every so many months, I get a "stinker" in my garage and have to go hunting for them. Why they die under the most difficult to reach places is ... well they do it on purpose to **** me off I am sure.

I read peppermint oil works but haven't tried it. Peppermint sound too new agey.... I kinda like the idea of killing them with a slow painful process...... BTW, after I find the stinker, I carry it around by the tail (with glove) around my house.... I want the others to see what happens... yea, keep away.... get it?

I use two types... neural and anticoagulant. Not sure which is better but I like the idea of giving them both barrels.

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

I like the nuerological stuff... cool description: "128-blocks with an average time of death of 1-2-days with the "stop-feed" action" ... that just sounds good.

Ok, sure, I will tell a story... I got the time and you asked.

So inside my home, I use snap traps... fortunately, I found where they are coming in but for years, I would catch 1 a week during weather changes. So in my mud room, up along the top of the cinder-block wall, I put traps.. they are about two feet above my head. One day, I come in from the garage and as is my standard procedure, look up to see if any traps snapped. Sure enough, one was missing and it sometimes drops down to the top of a cabinet along that wall. So I can't see up there.... I get my little stool, put on rubber gloves, and take a peek above the cabinet... there is the trap... and there is a live mouse huddled in the corner staring at me. He tripped the trap but was not caught. Darn! Now what. I didn't want to scare him because he could jump and run into the house..... think.... think..... ah!!!!! Just in my garage, I have a shop vac on the wall I use for my cars.... it has a l o n g hose (manly shop vac). So, I fire it up, and slowly creep up onto the stool, crouching... then I slowly pop up, and move the hose end toward the mouse... then all of a sudden....... THWOP! That little bugger got sucked into that hose from about 6 inches away..... that fuzzy lint ball of evil.... I felt him bounce through my clenched hands as he tumbled through that hose.......... he he he he he..... damn was this satisfying. Took the vac out and dumped the detritus into a ditch... I saw him run.... till another day budd.....

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 09-16-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 09-16-2020, 02:40 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I'm surprised that the mouse took up residence in a car that is driven a lot.

I use solid poison baits and prefer those containing warfarin (anticoagulent). I have been told that warfarin makes a rodent exceptionally dehydrated and they tend to leave the den in search of water before they die. And if they don't make it out, their carcasses don't smell as bad as there is so little liquid left in them. I don't know if this is true, but I never find rotten carcasses with this type of bait.

I have an old pickup that lives outside and I bait it and keep a snap trap in the glove box. I catch a couple mice per year with that trap. It's not good when i catch one in the summer and go a couple weeks without driving the truck.

Quick Reply: Mouse onboard