Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You can only do 3 mods - list em

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 10:52 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

(1) lower it with springs (Techart on mine)

(2) exhaust (PSE with SharkWerks bipass on mine)

(3) short shift kit. (OEM on mine).
Old 09-19-2020, 11:38 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,360 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by PowderJunkie
Saw a bunch of people mention wheel spacers. Curious what size people are running and pros/cons?
German law requires new car wheel spacing to allow fitment of snow chains.
(
The lowest profile chains available.)
Consequently, the Porsche OEM wheel offsets are not as aggressive as wheel well spacing allows for at stock ride height (which also must comply with snow chain clearance tolerances).

I am pretty sure the extra track width has a negligible affect on performance, but your eyes don't lie. Style-wise, spacers or wheels with custom offsets are the cure for crappy looking offset wheels. (And suspension mods for crappy stock ride height.) Racers and aftermarket cottage industries have addressed both issues since the early 60's.

If you like the look of OEM wheels, and also saving $, spacers are the way to correct bad offset.
Custom wheels address both styling and offset deficiencies- and is the only way to fix a crappy OEM centerline wheel offset.

Lighter wheels (usually forged) definitely affect performance.

Last edited by Liste-Renn; 09-20-2020 at 12:54 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:13 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I had a great tech in NJ and would never let anyone else touch it. He's the one that talked me into the SS although it didn't take much persuasion. I have another great tech here in FL. I've had such bad experiences with independents over the many years I've owned Porsches (30+) I just stick with the dealer and the one tech I love.
Can't disagree with any of that.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:08 AM
coaldrag413
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 55 Posts

I've already done 15mm spacers in the rear, so that's not on the list.

I'd love to do:

-Exhaust
-Ducktail
-GT3 bits

Old 09-25-2020, 10:00 PM
nsau
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

My favorite 3 mods so far (C2 manual)

1) Numeric shifter - just do it

2) Center muffler bypass - I went with Top Gear from the UK - the car now sounds like it should have. Sounds great, especially above 5000rpms, but retains the flat 6 character you expect

3) Eibach springs and 10/15mm spacers. Car looks awesome with that stance, multiple people have commented that it now looks the way it should have come from the factory.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:08 PM
Xegale
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My planned mods:
1. 991.2 Multifunction steering wheel
2. DSC Sport Controller
3. Numeric shifter
Old 09-28-2020, 06:48 PM
muvment
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

1. DSC
2. SmarTop Computer (if you have a cab)
3. Numeric Short Shifter

Old 09-29-2020, 12:54 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Haven’t gone through all the pages so non biased...and lazy.

1. Wait for the car you want. Don’t settle. If you are an “S” person wait for it.
2. DSC. totally changes the car. Just buy it. You will buy it after thinking too long and then say why did I wait...I did
3. Numeric shifter vs center bypass.

Runner ups depending on configuration of your car and year of your vehicle.

Exhaust:
997.1 needs fister/gundo hack. Sounds amazing.
997.2 needs center bypass to enhance above.

iPod:
997.1 needs mr12volt.
997.2 needs bovee unit
The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (09-30-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 01:06 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by kellen
Haven’t gone through all the pages so non biased...and lazy.

1. Wait for the car you want. Don’t settle. If you are an “S” person wait for it.
2. DSC. totally changes the car. Just buy it. You will buy it after thinking too long and then say why did I wait...I did
3. Numeric shifter vs center bypass.

Runner ups depending on configuration of your car and year of your vehicle.

Exhaust:
997.1 needs fister/gundo hack. Sounds amazing.
997.2 needs center bypass to enhance above.

iPod:
997.1 needs mr12volt.
997.2 needs bovee unit
@kellen Would you recommend DSC for owners that have use their 997s as a daily driver or weekender and have no intention of regularly tracking their 997?

Also Numeric vs. OEM SSK in similar scenario - does numeric make sense if you are not tracking the 997?

I am seriously considering the Fister and already have the mr12volt and will try to tackle that in next couple of weeks along with replacing the AC switches and adding the rennsport phone holder. Bang for the time required to take apart the center console!
Old 09-29-2020, 07:16 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by 8KaboveMSL
@kellen Would you recommend DSC for owners that have use their 997s as a daily driver or weekender and have no intention of regularly tracking their 997?

Also Numeric vs. OEM SSK in similar scenario - does numeric make sense if you are not tracking the 997?

I am seriously considering the Fister and already have the mr12volt and will try to tackle that in next couple of weeks along with replacing the AC switches and adding the rennsport phone holder. Bang for the time required to take apart the center console!
Yes. The DSC is an advantage at any speed, on any road. It brings your decade old shock technology to today's standard. It's fantastic.

Regarding the shifter, the oem ssk still has plastic bushings, that's my biggest complaint with the stock and oem setup, the shift just gets loose, and lacks precision. The numeric or, function first mods, fix that. Secondly, although I don't find the stock throw to be ridiculously long, a shorter shift is a bonus.
8KaboveMSL (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 11:05 AM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

@kellen super helpful, thanks! I’ve just had the OEM short shifter installed and am still in adjustment phase with indy shop that installed it. The shorter throws are really nice, just needs some adjustments to smooth it out on a couple of shifts 1st -> 2nd mainly. On the bushings, I am probably OK as I don’t plan on driving it a ton of miles/year. Will be mostly a weekender/summer road trip car for me, so I am probably ok on that front.

Will pull the trigger on the DSC though.

Cheers!
Old 09-29-2020, 11:36 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

@kellen super helpful, thanks! I’ve just had the OEM short shifter installed and am still in adjustment phase with indy shop that installed it. The shorter throws are really nice, just needs some adjustments to smooth it out on a couple of shifts 1st -> 2nd mainly. On the bushings, I am probably OK as I don’t plan on driving it a ton of miles/year. Will be mostly a weekender/summer road trip car for me, so I am probably ok on that front.

Will pull the trigger on the DSC though.

Cheers!
I think all the mods are worthwhile even if not tracking the car. I had the factory ssk in my 997.1, was great. Drove a friends regular manual and felt like a semi truck with long throws.

Ssk was improved with function first bearing kit, it makes all the connections metal and tightened it up. The numeric is just a 20% better, tighter and easier to install.

Fisters are a must! Same with the DSC.

The 1-2 shift seems to be a common thing. Changing the gear oil, cables, motor mounts, shift setup have all been tried but to my knowledge nothing 100%, more additive as you do more.

Best of luck!
Old 09-29-2020, 04:03 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 222 Likes on 136 Posts

Yes it absolutely makes sense even if you aren't tracking. The majority of our shifters across the world are used in just strictly street cars.

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
8KaboveMSL (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 05:56 PM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kellen
I think all the mods are worthwhile even if not tracking the car. I had the factory ssk in my 997.1, was great. Drove a friends regular manual and felt like a semi truck with long throws.

Ssk was improved with function first bearing kit, it makes all the connections metal and tightened it up. The numeric is just a 20% better, tighter and easier to install.

Fisters are a must! Same with the DSC.

The 1-2 shift seems to be a common thing. Changing the gear oil, cables, motor mounts, shift setup have all been tried but to my knowledge nothing 100%, more additive as you do more.

Best of luck!
Thanks. Changed gear oil and got new shift cables. Asked Indy shop to help with adjustments and surprisingly their response is that the Porsche standard setup didn’t have a lot of degrees of freedom for adjustments. I need to drive car a bit more and improve my feedback. Will likely look at the Function First Bearing kit if I can’t improve it through the adjustment route. It is still way better than the stock shifter.

Will report back on where I land.

Old 10-01-2020, 02:07 AM
TractControlOff
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 18 Posts

- Sport Exhaust
- Color matching sport seat backs
- Fuchs wheels

Quick Reply: You can only do 3 mods - list em