Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 CPO buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2020 | 10:35 AM
Dcg4x
Track Day

Default 997.2 CPO buying advice

Looking at a 2010 base 997.2 with 45k miles, CPO, manual transmission at just over 50k.

price seems on the high side compared to what others have posted, even understanding that CPO + manual both add to price.
Old 08-26-2020 | 10:42 AM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Depends how it's equipped. I bought a 2011 997.2 C2S CPO -- 48K miles, well equipped and a MT -- for high $50Ks. I don't regret paying what I did to get the car I wanted.

That said, get a PPI, CPO or not, from a great mechanic. I'm convinced my dealer did not go through the entire CPO process and I'm now taking my case to PCNA.

Just one guy's experience.

Thx!

Bob ×
Old 08-26-2020 | 10:44 AM
Dcg4x
Track Day

Originally Posted by VT Blue
Depends how it's equipped. I bought a 2011 997.2 C2S CPO -- 48K miles, well equipped and a MT -- for high $50Ks. I don't regret paying what I did to get the car I wanted.

That said, get a PPI, CPO or not, from a great mechanic. I'm convinced my dealer did not go through the entire CPO process and I'm now taking my case to PCNA.

Just one guy's experience.

Thx!

Bob ×
heres the options. I think it’s reasonably well equipped. I’d been shopping for a manual 991 but they gave me a call when they got this in and it looks interesting enough to pay attention to.
  • 19" Carrera S II wheel
  • BOSE High End Sound Package
  • Bluetooth Interface for Mobile Phone
  • Floor Mats in Interior Color
  • Heated Seats
  • Navigation Module for PCM
  • Power Comfort Seats with Driver Memory
  • Seat Ventilation
  • Self Dimming Mirrors
  • Universal Audio Interface
  • XM Radio

Old 08-26-2020 | 10:53 AM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dcg4x
heres the options. I think it’s reasonably well equipped. I’d been shopping for a manual 991 but they gave me a call when they got this in and it looks interesting enough to pay attention to.
  • 19" Carrera S II wheel
  • BOSE High End Sound Package
  • Bluetooth Interface for Mobile Phone
  • Floor Mats in Interior Color
  • Heated Seats
  • Navigation Module for PCM
  • Power Comfort Seats with Driver Memory
  • Seat Ventilation
  • Self Dimming Mirrors
  • Universal Audio Interface
  • XM Radio

Looks very nice. It's such a personal/subjective decision. As an example, and only speaking for myself, it was a 997 or nothing...not a fan of the 991 and the 992 is too big and too many $$s for my preferences. I've owned a 993 C4S that I adored -- and sold 6 months too soon a while back -- but the truth is I'll take my 997 as a driver's car over my old 993 all day long.

I don't think the price asked is out of line but there are those on this forum who know far more than I do when it comes to the current market. If you love it, get it.

Bob
Old 08-26-2020 | 11:08 AM
Submariner2009
Advanced

Can't comment on the value/cost but 100% agree on the PPI point -- I looked at a 997.1 CPO from a dealer out west (I live on the east coast) last year that clearly noted in the maintenance paperwork I requested, "Recommend major service as overdue" and next to it "Client refused." It wasn't what I was looking for in the end but a good learning moment.

Always good to ask the dealer for the paperwork of what they did to prep it for sale, it can be telling in addition to getting the CPO checklist. But regardless get an independent PPI, can't go wrong with one and if the dealer balks/refuses that's a red flag from my POV.
The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020 | 11:11 AM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Great points @Submariner2009 . The dealer did provide me with CPO paperwork and complete service history, to their credit, prior to purchase. Every dealer feels differently and, as mentioned, I'm convinced that the CPO checklist, while signed, was ignored.

Bob ×
Old 08-26-2020 | 12:03 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

CPO is much more about mechanical, services up to date and wear items being virtually new. A car can be CPOed if previously wrecked or has paint work.

Forget the PPI and GO IN PERSON to look at it if you are super picky. These are 10 year old cars and rarely if ever will be perfect cosmetically.

What might bother VT might not bother me in the least cosmetically.

Wife had a PPI on a 2010 997.2 Cabriolet in 2017 that failed to note that the right rear 1/4 panel had been repainted and that there was a repaint spot on right passenger door under rear view mirror. I flew in and saw this person.

My GTS PPI October 2019 mentioned light scuffing under the front lip, but failed to note cracks and a piece of the front lip missing by the right front wheel and a very scuffed front right rim. I flew in and saw this, but still purchased the car.
The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020 | 12:06 PM
Dcg4x
Track Day

Originally Posted by Doug H
CPO is much more about mechanical, services up to date and wear items being virtually new. A car can be CPOed if previously wrecked or has paint work.

Forget the PPI and GO IN PERSON to look at it if you are super picky. These are 10 year old cars and rarely if ever will be perfect cosmetically.

Wife had a PPI on a 2010 997.2 Cabriolet in 2017 that failed to note that the right rear 1/4 panel had been repainted and that there was a repaint spot on right passenger door under rear view mirror. I flew in and saw this person.

My GTS PPI October 2019 mentioned light scuffing under the front lip, but failed to note cracks and a piece of the front lip missing by the right front wheel and a very scuffed front right rim. I flew in and saw this, but still purchased the car.
good advice. Planning to go check it out in person as everyone notices different things.
Old 08-26-2020 | 12:25 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Doug H

I completely agree, @Doug H, that it's vital to go in person, look at/test drive the car, interview the sales/service people who actually did the CPO, listen and learn. Unfortunately, COVID killed my chance to see the car in-person as things were locked-down too much in April/early May. If I had had a PPI from a decent mechanic, it's likely I would not have the issues I have now that should have been addressed as CPO.

But again, would I have not bought my car even knowing all of this? Oh, hell, yeah I would have. I do not have buyer's remorse in the least -- but I do want the dealership held accountable. That's all.

Thx!

Bob ×
Old 08-26-2020 | 12:38 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Submariner2009
Can't comment on the value/cost but 100% agree on the PPI point -- I looked at a 997.1 CPO from a dealer out west (I live on the east coast) last year that clearly noted in the maintenance paperwork I requested, "Recommend major service as overdue" and next to it "Client refused." It wasn't what I was looking for in the end but a good learning moment.

Always good to ask the dealer for the paperwork of what they did to prep it for sale, it can be telling in addition to getting the CPO checklist. But regardless get an independent PPI, can't go wrong with one and if the dealer balks/refuses that's a red flag from my POV.
This is a pretty common note. Previous owner could have taken car in to repair something and dealer recommended service. Customers frequently refuse if they have services performed by Indies. There could have been other receipts, paperwork or Carfax showing car was in fact serviced. Nevertheless, the car cannot be sold CPO without services being very current.

If super picky or have high expectations about cosmetics, go look in person as a PPI guy may not have same standard as you and/or view certain cosmetic issues as expected on a 10 year old car.

Last edited by Doug H; 08-26-2020 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2020 | 12:42 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

@Doug H there's more to it. And the bumper matching issue is really egregious. I've spent 30 years in the car business, a minor mismatch would be reasonable, and be fine but, again, there's a good amount of evidence I have that shows a CPO could not have possibly been thoroughly vetted. That's my main gripe...getting what I paid for. That's all. ×
Old 08-26-2020 | 05:49 PM
JT77
Rennlist Member

Delete

Last edited by JT77; 09-06-2020 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Delete

Quick Reply: 997.2 CPO buying advice