Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which micro switch do I need to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2020 | 07:03 PM
slowslowcar
Instructor

Default Which micro switch do I need to replace?

2006 997 C2S

passenger side window goes down slightly when opening the door, but does not go up when closing it. When opening the door again, it will go down slightly and still not come up after closing.

from inside the car, if you slightly pull the passenger door handle (with door closed) it will go down, but not back up when letting go (drivers side does not move when pulling the handle slightly in the closed position).

i know there are 3 micro switches but I couldn’t figure out which one needed to be replaced given these symptoms.

any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2020 | 11:56 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

When inside the car and you pull the handle slightly and the window drops, does pushing on the handle make the window go up again as long as the door didn't open?

Post a photo of the inside door handle area of your passenger door. I want to see how flush the inside handle is to the door spear.
Old 08-26-2020 | 02:24 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slowslowcar
2006 997 C2S

passenger side window goes down slightly when opening the door, but does not go up when closing it. When opening the door again, it will go down slightly and still not come up after closing.

from inside the car, if you slightly pull the passenger door handle (with door closed) it will go down, but not back up when letting go (drivers side does not move when pulling the handle slightly in the closed position).

i know there are 3 micro switches but I couldn’t figure out which one needed to be replaced given these symptoms.

any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
There's a total of 7 microswitches in the door related to the alarm and windows.

Sounds like you have failure mode 3) as described here: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ml#post9969739

If so, you need a new door lock assembly (which contains the related microswitch).

Karl.
Old 08-26-2020 | 06:43 PM
ehagendorff
Advanced

I have this same issue on my car. I have pulled battery/relearn the one-touch settings. My driver's works fine, pass drops but will not return up. I verified the door is registered closed and locks (no horn beep on lock)

One-touch up and down work on driver's side, only one-touch DOWN works on passenger. (Even 1/2 way up). Test the auto up/down on your passenger side window. I am starting to wonder if the crack function 'uses' one-touch to perform.
Old 08-28-2020 | 01:27 AM
slowslowcar
Instructor

Here are some pics and a video

https://streamable.com/vnch8u

Last edited by slowslowcar; 08-28-2020 at 01:30 AM.
Old 08-28-2020 | 01:47 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

OK, get a torx bit, pull the interior handle all the way open so you can remove the screw that holds it onto the plastic lever. On the back of the silver handle is a molded in pin. When the handle is closed, that pin goes through a hole and pushes on a little microswitch behind the door panel. When you pull the interior handle, the pin loses contact with the switch and the window drops. I want to test and see if the handle isn't pushing the pin far enough when you let it go to make the switch, so do this manually now that you have the handle out of the way. The window should be down a bit now since you've removed the handle and nothing is pushing on the switch. Close the door and get a paperclip or something and use it to gently activate that microswitch and see if the window now pops back up or if it stays stuck in the down position until you raise it with the window button.
Old 08-28-2020 | 02:41 PM
ehagendorff
Advanced

With the door closed, 'manually' put the window up with the switch. Does it stay closed? Mine will stay closed if I roll it back up with the passenger door handle closed. If I keep the inside door handle pulled (but door still closed) the window cracks even if i roll it up. I believe the interior door handle switch is working in my case. I will check the exterior door handle in a similar fashion maybe.

The only thing I have noticed 'consistent' with my setup is One-Touch up/down works on the drivers side (door crack works perfect too.). One-Touch up does not work on my passenger side and the door crack up does not work on that side. Is it possible it uses that same function to perform the crack? I have pulled battery and reset the windows and passenger side will not auto-up (even from 1/2 way).

EDIT: With the help of my son for troubleshooting (toddlers love to help thankfully). The window will roll up to the stop and crack again if either handle is pulled (but door cloesd/latched). Also with the door open and both handles closed the window cracks again.

1. Door closed, both handles closed (window closes/stays via inside switch 'manually')
2. Door closed inside handle pulled (window cracks)
3. Door closed outside handle pulled (window cracks)
4. Door open both handles closed (window cracks)

Everything seems to function (as it should) except it will not auto close. The symptoms appear as if the car thinks the passenger door is still open while closed but the car does not beep when I lock with the door closed. (indicating a door is still open).
I verify it does beep if I lock with the pass door open.

Last edited by ehagendorff; 08-28-2020 at 03:16 PM. Reason: added more details
Old 08-28-2020 | 03:33 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Need to remove the interior door handle and test that switch as I indicated below. The behavior makes is seem like that switch isn't being made all the time and why the window won't return after it drops. In my cars, if the handle is pulled or the door open, the switch will not close the window the last amount.
Old 08-28-2020 | 04:32 PM
Hindsight2010
Pro

This happened to me after I had my battery disconnected for a month while I did some upgrades to the car. On my year 997 (2009), I read in the service manual that the windows and sunroof need to be reset after battery is disconnected. You do this by, after reconnecting the battery, use the window switch to roll the window all the way down, then all the way up. Same for sunroof. It fixed it for me. You might try this before digging into the sensor items others have suggested since it is quick and easy.
Old 08-28-2020 | 09:56 PM
ehagendorff
Advanced

Thanks for all of the hwlpful replies. I have reset the windows after having the battery disconnected several times by following the manual as well as holding for 10 sec up and down. No change. I am 99% sure the interior door switch is being made because if I hold the handle open (switch open) and roll the window up, it drops again (detects it's open) of I leave the handle down and roll it up it stays up. This is the behavior with both inside/outside handle. I will remove the handle and check the switch regardless per your suggestion (once I find a proper torx that fits) to be sure.

Door closed both handles closed window rolls up manual and stats (,door and handles registered closed). I will try and reset the windows again as well but my driver's didn't work after battery pull and works perfect again after programming. Passenger window programmed the same way does not work.
Old 09-10-2020 | 08:03 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Now I get to have door fun Got home from the store and when I pulled the handle to open the door, it made a pinging snap sound. Spring that puts tension to hold the handle flush popped off or broke. Window stayed cracked open. I taped the handle to get the window to stay closed. Hopefully its not too much hassle to fix. Fortunately I just upgraded my door panel tools!

Quick Reply: Which micro switch do I need to replace?