Sponsored by:

Color choice for calipers on Macadamia

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 02:10 PM
pascalemod
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Color choice for calipers on Macadamia

Hey guys, as I continue my quest to tidy up my car cosmetically, I am now looking at my brakes calipers.

Being 3.6 997.2 they are same size as 2S, but shape is different.
They are also black-greyish color that is now discoloring (60k miles and 9 years old car will do it to you).

What do you think of these options? 1 through 5. Black, Red, Yellow, Orange, .... Race car something.

So:

This is my car
1) I will just restore them to OEM with white Porsche logo (this anthracite grey everyone calls black for some reason)

2) I can just paint them red - after all on 997.2 the brakes are same size as S, and when I see this excellent car form this forum I cant help but wanna get this superb look:
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...rvers-side.jpg

3) I could go yellow, which suits brown also, yet there is a fear the universe will be out of balance because 6 owners of PCCM cars will explode in anger

4) Orange color. It is complementary to MBM color. Not red or yellow, kind of a mix. Perhaps RS Orange.

and on Brown car (I only found a Huyra, but guess thats alright )

OR, go with the matte champagne gold color with black or red lettering. I kind of like this idea, I dunno what this color is called. Satin platinum? Anodized aluminium? What the heck is this. It might just be the perfect thing for my car but how do you even describe this color from cup cars??
5)

Last edited by pascalemod; 08-21-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:22 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Matte champagne with the red Porsche looks really nice and unique IMO...
The following 3 users liked this post by Scalp_em:
8x57IRS (01-24-2021), anewman (08-21-2020), VT Blue (08-22-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 02:53 PM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 118 Posts

I suggest the Matte Champagne as well and think It would look great on your car. Since Red (S) and Yellow (PCCB) have specific meanings for P-Car brakes, I would avoid those unless the color is reflective of the meaning.
The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (08-22-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 03:24 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,374 Likes on 1,243 Posts

I won't comment on a specific color, but I would recommend against going with any matte finish. I think that you might regret that trying to keep them clean.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:24 PM
heavysixer22
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 69 Posts

I think matte champagne would be super classy.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:51 PM
997ajk
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts
Lightbulb

Brunt bronze, black, tan/gold

https://www.cerakote.com/project-gal...ids=Automotive

The following 2 users liked this post by 997ajk:
rtl5009 (08-21-2020), VT Blue (08-22-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 04:29 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 282 Posts

The stock grey calipers and the plate for sure is anodized. therefore you should be able to renew the color with one of the sealants made for restoring black trim. My 90,000 mile ones look perfect. Or if you paint them, go with black, or silver so they blend in and are not seen. What is up with all these bright color brake calipers on beautiful cars? Are you showing off to the world (who doesn't care) that your car has discs brakes ,just like every Toyota or are we still teenagers? My opinion.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:44 PM
pascalemod
Racer

Originally Posted by Floyd540
The stock grey calipers and the plate for sure is anodized. therefore you should be able to renew the color with one of the sealants made for restoring black trim. My 90,000 mile ones look perfect. Or if you paint them, go with black, or silver so they blend in and are not seen. What is up with all these bright color brake calipers on beautiful cars? Are you showing off to the world (who doesn't care) that your car has discs brakes ,just like every Toyota or are we still teenagers? My opinion.
i will see how well those can be “dressed up”, may be possible.

as for why paint them - I mean we all wanna make the car our own, nothing wrong with that.

I do lean towards the less shouty option as what everyone said actually - some
matte champagne colour. Designers on Porsche are paid to make better looking details than on your average toyota. Plus, not to justify it but Im pretty well aware not to mod the car for sake of modding, as I prefer to improve components that wear out only.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:50 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 282 Posts

I agree, we all want to make our car "ours", that is part of the hobby of cars. I have made my own mods aka fuchs wheels, sharkwerks , techart springs etc. I think the calipers on your car(they are just like mine 2011 997.2) would look great in the champagne color as it has a warm tone to go with the car color. The anodized plate with "porsche" could stay black with the letters done in body color or or do the plate in body color.. Either way would look cool in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
pascalemod (08-21-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 06:23 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts

I think bronze or champagne would look nice with the brown color of your car. Red or Yellow is a little poseur as they usually come on the S models or if Carbon brakes were ordered which you don’t have. The black anodized I think are kinda cheap looking in my opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carreralicious:
sandwedge (08-22-2020), VT Blue (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 12:51 AM
Clinton Ave
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

I think red looks much better than yellow. Love the exterior color.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:09 AM
pascalemod
Racer

Originally Posted by Clinton Ave
I think red looks much better than yellow. Love the exterior color.
I do like it but I wanna keep certain bits true to Porsche so if I go red it will be may be a darker tone of red, otherwise Im pretty focused on full black refurb (in gloss) or champagne / White gold tone with black or red lettering. I think those will all do good. Yellow I rule out, too shouty for me. Thanks on color, I am a huge fan of brown 911s and feel like this colour is superior to the redder mahogany and more resembles the copper brown on the 930s I really liked. No complaints and 10/10 would do recommend.

Originally Posted by boxtaboy
I think bronze or champagne would look nice with the brown color of your car. Red or Yellow is a little poseur as they usually come on the S models or if Carbon brakes were ordered which you don’t have. The black anodized I think are kinda cheap looking in my opinion.
Black didnt age well so, for me the point is to give the look longevity, and with that experience should I go black it would be gloss. I have painted calipers on my two previous BMWs (moonstone blue metallic) and of course BMW is notorious for having very terrible looking calipers sans M models. After two very heavy snow-salted winters they look barely dusty, so I am doing this to all my cars from now on. Porsche's turn here.

Originally Posted by Floyd540
I agree, we all want to make our car "ours", that is part of the hobby of cars. I have made my own mods aka fuchs wheels, sharkwerks , techart springs etc. I think the calipers on your car(they are just like mine 2011 997.2) would look great in the champagne color as it has a warm tone to go with the car color. The anodized plate with "porsche" could stay black with the letters done in body color or or do the plate in body color.. Either way would look cool in my opinion.
Champagne or white gold, whichever the name will be, I will find out next week the costs and finish options. I think the key with this color is it needs to be fairly on the light side to have the red Porsche logo work on it, otherwise if it will be a bit darker variety likeo that 997 RSR car I would go with black text or white text. Red letters have a funny way of either popping out or blending in if the tone is off. WIll nail it down once they are painted.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:04 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,711 Likes on 4,265 Posts

Bronze would be too close to the color of the car. I'd say that light goldish champagne color or even a silver to match the wheels. Champagne calipers with champagne wheels that kind of go with the beige interior color would be classy.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:19 PM
soundbehindyou
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 92 Posts

Step out of the box ------ GREEN!
Old 08-22-2020, 01:45 PM
pascalemod
Racer

Originally Posted by Petza914
Bronze would be too close to the color of the car. I'd say that light goldish champagne color or even a silver to match the wheels. Champagne calipers with champagne wheels that kind of go with the beige interior color would be classy.
I have black interior, but I wont match them to car for sure, im leaning to this champagne light gold color more and more. Ill know wednesday how they can do the finish. I also came up with this satin platinum color as per rims on new Porsches. Also good.

Originally Posted by soundbehindyou
Step out of the box ------ GREEN!
I saw these teal metallic brembos on one white BMW M3 with gloss grey rims - looked superb!

Quick Reply: Color choice for calipers on Macadamia