Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard Maintenence... what is all of this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020 | 10:08 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Standard Maintenence... what is all of this?

2009 C2S 158K miles

This vid is for a 2015 911 GTS.... but it applies to our 997s.... So, what the heck is this guy doing, and should we be doing this maintenance on our cars? Lotsa cools stuff going on, but below are my highlights and questions.

Warning: for the neurotic only......

1 - Spraying the oil filter cap... WTF? Is he spraying a solvent in there? Why? I never heard of this. (0:14)
2 - Cleaning the radiators with some sort of soap or solvent and then a brush. What do you think about this? (1:10) Simple Green.. maybe OK for aluminum but...Do you know of a cleaner for use here safe for aluminum?
3 - Clean and lubricate front strut mounts..... Huh? What is going on here and what is he using for this? (4:29)
4 - Clay barring a windshield... really? Can you actually see a difference? (5:40)
5 - Cool black gloves... yep I have em.... nice, 8 mil and textured. I am on it!

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 08-18-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-18-2020 | 10:27 AM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

#4 Clay Bar windshield: Yes, this is a thing you can do.
https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...ar-windshields
The following 2 users liked this post by TheTorch:
DesmoSD (08-18-2020), VT Blue (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020 | 12:15 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Guy entering a concours,perhaps.
Old 08-18-2020 | 12:23 PM
ejabour
Rennlist Member

Dude is definitely not a minimal effort kind of guy!

There was another video where he was adjusting someones mufflers, I think it just ate at his OCD. Quite the professional.
Old 08-18-2020 | 12:34 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheTorch
#4 Clay Bar windshield: Yes, this is a thing you can do.
https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sh...ar-windshields
I've tried it to see if I could improve my windshield... turns out it was just pitting!
Old 08-18-2020 | 01:31 PM
andino
Racer

Claying windshields is pretty common. I usually do it before I apply a fresh coat of aquapel. You can also polish a windshield to get rid of some of the more minor imperfections and chips as modern glass is glazed. Its similar to what you would do in a paint correction but you can't cut quite as much.
Old 08-18-2020 | 03:06 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

That video is from Loeber Porsche in Chicago. That mechanic has several maintenance videos with various other models.

The lubricant he uses mostly is Wurth HSS Plus. A great lube for most hinges and other stuff. He uses some form of rubber cleaner/protectant (303 Aerospace Protectant or Nextzett Gummi Pflege Stift would be fine)

1 - Spraying the oil filter cap... WTF? Is he spraying a solvent in there? Why? I never heard of this. (0:14)

Brake cleaner to remove oil deposits, at least on the threads, is a good thing.

2 - Cleaning the radiators with some sort of soap or solvent and then a brush. What do you think about this? (1:10) Simple Green.. maybe OK for aluminum but...Do you know of a cleaner for use here safe for aluminum?

After vacuuming... a good pressure washer blast is a good thing.

3 - Clean and lubricate front strut mounts..... Huh? What is going on here and what is he using for this? (4:29)

I think you used to spray lube at the top of the front struts through the wheel well. Am I wrong?

4 - Clay barring a windshield... really? Can you actually see a difference? (5:40)

Yes it does. it removes stuff attached to the glass. Easy to do.

5 - Cool black gloves... yep I have em.... nice, 8 mil and textured. I am on it!

Any nitrile gloves work.
The following users liked this post:
Doug H (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020 | 03:15 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

First off, buying a car where you have to remove the bumper to change the air filters is stupid. That sounds like Ferrari engineering.
As to your question list;
1) senseless, If you are going to do that ,then go ahead and clean out the sump and the oil galleys in the crankshaft and...... Remember there are about 3 quarts of old oil still in the engine when you change it.
2)They are radiators, everybody has them. If they are dirty or clogged with bugs, back wash them.
3)This one stupidly stupid. They strut is on a ball bearing plate way below the top piece that he is dusting with his shaving brush. ( The real bearing plate below the struct top mount is very well sealed and after 92,000 miles on my poor old car was is perfect condition, no dust, dirt or water intrusion)
4) This works but what you will find out from paying attention to this is you need a new windshield from all the pits from the road sandblasting.
5) No gloves! Without gloves you can now easily get the grease and dirt under your fingernails and you will look like a real car guy, An old school car guy.
Old 08-18-2020 | 08:05 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

“First off, buying a car where you have to remove the bumper to change the air filters is stupid.“. I agree, my Panny is designed that way, and totally stupid. Guess Porsche hired a Ferrari engineer.

I clay and polish my windows and it makes stunning difference.

Last edited by ManoTexas; 08-18-2020 at 08:07 PM.
VT Blue (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020 | 09:25 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Window claying is, well, I'm neurotic enough to geddit...it works.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...ortby=ourPicks

Bob
Doug H (08-18-2020)

Quick Reply: Standard Maintenence... what is all of this?