Sponsored by:

Success with deep sump kit, noise problem with skid plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 01:38 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Success with deep sump kit, noise problem with skid plate

Last week I had a chance for a first evaluation of my new LN deep sump kit, driving at Watkins Glen. As is well documented here,
for a 997.1 with the stock oil sump there will be some level of oil starvation/aeration at prolonged turns, especially right-handers. This is detectable on the
oil pressure gauge, which can drop to 2 or 3 bar even at high revs during such turns. The effect gets worse with high temperatures. Overall, this is the reason why Porsche does not allow the use of
slick tires on the car, but this also happens with modern performance street tires. Basically, any prolonged turn with about 1g lateral pull or more will lead to an oil pressure drop.

The LN deep sump is meant to fix that, but as far as I can tell there have been mixed experiences with it on the forum. Well, I was happy to see that at Watkins Glen the pressure remained pegged at 5bars through all turns, which is what I wanted to see. This was still just on street tires, so about 1g lateral pull, but it was a marked difference from the situation before. So far so good!

Now, the little problem is the additional NVH created by the LN skid plate that covers the deep sump. It's actually engine bay noise transmitted into the cabin, dominated by high-frequency squealing from the accessories between 2-3k rpm. It does not matter on the track, but it is very annoying/grating on the street.

The skid plate does not come with any noise reducing hardware, though LN engineering are aware of the problem.
For those who have installed the LN skid plate, did you use any method to dampen the noise?
Old 08-09-2020, 03:32 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 681 Likes on 323 Posts

Which kit capacity did you go with?
Old 08-09-2020, 05:26 PM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

The 2qt one. Bigger is better in this application, I thought.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:25 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 681 Likes on 323 Posts

It is. I was just curious.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:34 PM
Matthew Scott
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Great to hear feedback that the kit works as promised. Bummer about the skid plate.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:36 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

My experience was the same with the BILT (LN) 2 quart deep sump. Windage tray I think is particularly important. Didn't get the skid plate tho, sorry to hear about the issue there.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:46 AM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Yes, I remember that your positive experience with the LN sump encouraged me to try it!

I'd be worried about hitting something without the skid plate, not on track but on the road.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:41 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,593 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Make sure the skid plate isn't touching the motor. I even have mine with some dynamic tension in the plate so it's flexed downward or outward.

I cut the rear mounting hole slots so they would extend all the way to the edge of the piece. That was so I could install it without removing the muffler hanging bracket. Maybe that let me pick a lower rear height position than is possible with the holes the way they're drilled. My deep sump is also the MantiSport one, but doubt that matters.

Old 08-10-2020, 08:41 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Jeezus, its no wonder that thing vibrates and makes noise. Its just a flat piece of sheet.

I'd take it to a metal shop and ask them to roll some beads in that--maybe along the perimeter and an X through the middle of it. It will make it stronger and less-likely to vibrate at speed. Whoever "designed" that should have foreseen that issue.

What's it vibrating against? If it is against the sump, then I can't see how much protection it is providing. A good hit would just transfer to the sump anyway. Or is it vibrating against something else?
Old 08-11-2020, 11:06 AM
roadie13
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Iceter
Jeezus, its no wonder that thing vibrates and makes noise. Its just a flat piece of sheet.

I'd take it to a metal shop and ask them to roll some beads in that--maybe along the perimeter and an X through the middle of it. It will make it stronger and less-likely to vibrate at speed. Whoever "designed" that should have foreseen that issue.

What's it vibrating against? If it is against the sump, then I can't see how much protection it is providing. A good hit would just transfer to the sump anyway. Or is it vibrating against something else?
I don't think it's touching anything, but it's rear support picks up noises from the engine bay and the front support transmits them into the cabin. The preferred eigenfrequencies of the plate seem to amplify accessory whine, some folks have compared it to the sound of a straight teeth gearbox

Old 08-11-2020, 11:28 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,593 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter

Those are my pictures, not rhe OPs. Mine doesn't make any noise or touch anything. It's been installed for years. We have the same skid plate, but different deep sump kits - his is LN and mine MantiSport. The LN skid plate is very thick and mine is installed under tension bowed outward so it doesn't vibrate and that tension will also add to the protection and help the car ride up over anything it would hit if it's large, like a dead animal.

Quick Reply: Success with deep sump kit, noise problem with skid plate