Sponsored by:

Purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 02:41 PM
968norway
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Purchase advice

Hi, I am looking at a 2010 Carrera with a manual transmission. It's gone 80 000 km (50 000 miles), it has a full service history and everything is supposed to be in order and functioning. The problem I have is that it is 1000 kms away so only one chance for in person viewing/test drive. I'm just wondering, I would think at 80 000 km that any sort of lemon qualities would have been exposed. I get the impression that these cars are pretty solid and if they haven't been abused there shouldn't be much trouble.

The question is what shoud I look for if there are any well known flaws?

Thanks for any help
Old 07-27-2020, 03:19 PM
Scalp_em
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

I am new to the forums but as someone that is in the market myself I would suggest to get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) before you make the trip...if the owner doesn’t agree then maybe it’s not the right car for you?
Old 07-27-2020, 05:58 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

If you can't take it to garage to have it looked at, I would try not to get caught up in buying it as "the one". Start with the visual, is the car full of clues on the exterior (uneven paint colors on panels), excessive tire wear? Then turn to the driver side and have a look, is the leather worn out, do you notice odors (smoking), or other wear and tear items, like the gear lever. Take a look at the records, if there seems to be gaps, you can ask why, and look for things like brake fluid changes every two years.

If your going to test it, make sure you can run it up full oil temp (10-20 mins), and if the owner is with you, try not to be overly chatty and roll down the windows so you can hear as much as you can. Try to hit all gears when driving.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:10 PM
TheTorch
Burning Brakes

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Hilsen fra California!

You should search out some of the other threads where this same advice is floating around here. The most recent one is this:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ght-911-a.html

Using google search on rennlist:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site...+buying+advice
Old 07-27-2020, 07:33 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 693 Likes on 418 Posts

How many 911’s in Norway lol? Assume car is in Stavanger? As others pointed out review threads to see what to expect and look for good Indy to do PPI. Price dependent on what you’ll need to do, eg brake pads, clutch, plugs, brake fluid, filters, tires, etc. 911 solid car, and you’ll love it!!
Old 07-28-2020, 09:20 AM
968norway
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, thanks for the replies :-) To TheTorch 'hilsen fra Norge!', to ManoTexas there is a surprising number of 911's in Norway, there is even a Stuttgart approved Porsche Classic center here.
I should probably have given more background. I currently have a '90 964 C4, a fantastic car, incredible sound and just a hoot to drive. But it's 30 years old and the maintainence costs can be brutal. Thus I'm looking for a more modern and reliable car and end up with the 997.2 as a likely candidate.
Right now there are two 997.2s with manual transmissions for sale in Norway. The 2010 as mentioned in the beginning and a 2009 C4 with 116k km. Both with good service histories and in very good condtion. I guess the question should have been, is there any objective difference between these cars other than that one is newer with lower mileage, all other things being equal?
The 2010 is in Bodø (not Stavanger) which is near the arctic circle. The 2009 is in Trondheim, closer but still 500 km away. Either way it's a bit of a pain.
Anyway, I do search around in the threads, but it is not always so easy to dig out the useful nuggets.
Cheers, Tore
Old 07-28-2020, 01:11 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 94 Posts

I think the main difference is one is all wheel drive C4, which might be better for your climate, it also might be more expensive if it has issues. If you can get the cars VIN numbers use https://vinanalytics.com/ to see how the car was optioned from the factory, it will point out the differences in what the cars came with and is very accurate.

It's all personal preference, but I really like the memory seat function if you have more than one driver.

Quick Reply: Purchase advice