Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Excellence Magazine Article "Manual Transmission Owners Higher IQ/Better Lovers"

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2020 | 06:59 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Default New Excellence Magazine Article "Manual Transmission Owners Higher IQ/Better Lovers"

Just kidding but thought it would be interesting to give some personal reasons why smaller of us group of 15-20% of 997 owners prefer Manual Transmission.
Would be great to hear from 997 Auto Transmission owners as to reasons why they prefer their Auto and if they have ever owned MT Porsche:

I've always preferred manual Transmission even 36 years ago when I bought my 1st Porsche which was a 1981 928S. I've always enjoyed shifting and to me that's a large part of the Sports Car experience.
I enjoy shifting with my hand and leg during spirited drives thru mountain drives and off the line - The ritual of shifting is part of the Sports Car experience and I can't imagine any other way.
I do have to ad that I live in the city and don't use my Porsche on a regular basis and now only for going out to dinner, getaways and a few long road trips. I only put 2-3000 miles on my car per year.
When I was younger I used my Porsche more regularly and have done at least 30 round trips from Seattle to LA and SF over past 36 years - Probably 5-6 of those in my 1959 356 Sunroof Coupe which was always a fun experience not knowing if I would make it .
These days my Land Rover is my daily driver - Auto trans nice for city driving. I like sitting up high with great visibility in the city and it's my errands/tow car for Home Depot/etc..

The following 2 users liked this post by groovzilla:
Ironman88 (07-15-2020), paddlefoot64 (07-15-2020)

Popular Reply

07-17-2020, 01:38 PM
LexVan
Banned

Old 07-15-2020 | 07:40 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Oh no don’t start online manual vs PDK debate # 8964123!

Just to help avoid that from possibly happening, and to appease both sides, let me say that the modern PDK transmission (I actually don’t have any real experience I can recall with a 997 PDK) is fun also but in a different way. Especially with modern NA GT cars with that 9k redline although you won’t actually be setting any acceleration records (sorry NA guys).

But yes, agree manual is more rewarding and engaging even on the street (and tons more on the track). Even PDK being faster on the track, it is less personally rewarding to me as a driver. Have owned both modern DCT and manual sports cars and unless sitting in traffic, have always preferred the manual experience. I think it’s similar to how many folks out there prefer the more classic 997 driving experience over the more current cars. It’s a matter of personal opinion and therefore no right or wrong answer.
Old 07-15-2020 | 07:49 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Prefer the PDK because I can shift if I wish to AND I know I'm faster than if I were driving a manual 997.

As I mentioned in the previous thread discussing this topic- I always had manuals when it was best for the performance of the car (i.e. my '88 Carrera).

Old 07-15-2020 | 08:42 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

(Transcribed and updated from another thread posted earlier today)

I've driven manual transmission sports cars for nearly 50 years - starting with a '71 MGB when I was a teenager. A sports car always meant - at a minimum - that it
had to have a manual shift. No exceptions.

My 911 is the first automatic (PDK) sports car that I've ever owned. (I have owned a manual shift Porsche previously - an '01 Boxster S).

My sense is that there is a common perception that if it's a PDK - you just put it in "D" and head down the road. While of course you absolutely can do this, to me, the magic of the PDK comes about via putting it in manual mode - and using the console shifter (instead of the steering wheel buttons.) The range of movement with the shifter is small - so initiation from one gear to the next takes only a slight movement. Gear change is immediate - and without having to deal with any clutch work. I appreciate being able to focus on instantly (and intuitively) placing engine speed where I want it to be. Driving the various mountain roads where I'm now located, I've never felt that the PDK was an impediment or a detriment in being able to get what I want out of the engine and the car. Quite the opposite. I believe that years of experience with manuals has really helped me get more enjoyment out of the 911 with the PDK using it in manual mode.

There's the added benefit of course with full auto mode if you happen to get caught up in a traffic snarl.

Approaching the PDK with an open mind for me has been educational experience - one that I would have been completely shut down to in my past. The 911 with a PDK is an amazing vehicle.

The resale advantage / disadvantage is completely immaterial to me. I truly enjoy the car and am appreciative of it every time I drive it.

And with all of that said - now for the gratuitous photo:

Old 07-15-2020 | 08:54 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

If it was a weekender, I'd likely have gone the manual route. Since it's a daily, PDK all day. Plus I really enjoy using the flappy paddles. Since my wife can't drive stick, with PDK she gets to drive it too.
Old 07-15-2020 | 09:18 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

If manual transmissions offered a performance advantage, I'd buy one.
The following users liked this post:
scadams (07-16-2020)
Old 07-15-2020 | 09:19 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Great topic I have enjoyed manuals, autos and dual clutch transmissions in different vehicles for different reasons. I'm sure I'd be happy with my 997 with a pdk, but it's a .1, and I surely wasn't getting a Tip for my only 911 at this time. Once a month there's a highway backup coming home, and driving a stick in 1st or 2nd gear for 30-40 minutes sucks, otherwise never happier. I do like my 3rd to 6th upshifts and 5th to 2nd downshifts whenever the situation warrants. I do enjoy rev matching myself on downshifts. I don't really ever wish I could shift any faster than i choose to with a manual, in general, but i don't track my car either. I suspect I will have a Porsche with a pdk some day.
Old 07-15-2020 | 09:34 PM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Default PDK ...an exceptional multi-tool

I have and will always enjoy rowing gears during spirits drives. And, I had initially set out seeking a manual 997 GTS. My previous 911's and other fun cars were three-pedal. Even my first mini-van was a slightly modded manual Caravan.

It was seldom a manual 997 GTS came up for re-sale in Canada, when I was looking. When a PDK version was listed locally, in one of the colours I like, I took it out for a test drive and serious consideration. Honestly, despite the impressively quick shifting, I was not entirely convinced it was the right car for me. However, later that day, I opened up to trying "different" after driving my 6spd 996 followed by sequential deep visualizations of shifting the PDK out on mountain drives.

Since then, I have been thoroughly enjoying my 997, operating the PDK in manual mode most times. Essentially, I have grown to embrace the option of having auto in heavy traffic. Sure, there are often times I miss shifting and having the sublime simple marriage of a flat-six and manual transmission. But, my 997, is a sort of the outer bounds of "sports car" to me. The PDK 997 combo works for me, just as does the full active PASM (using a DSC Sport Controller). I can hear some purists gasp

It has been some time now without a manual in my tiny stable, and my left calf has slimmed down a little. I will have another manual Porsche in the future. Besides, I am likely to pick up a manual starter (a modded VW) next week for the first of my student-driver children - driving manual is mandatory in our household. Yes, the Mrs. enjoys manuals and drives them quite well too.

Groov - Looking forward to driving south of the 49th again once C19 is under control. Hope all is well with you and René. Take care!
groovzilla (07-16-2020)
Old 07-15-2020 | 10:34 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Groovzilla, I tried reading your post but struggled to understand it, then my blow up doll called for me so I stopped reading. I’ll get out the dicktionery later and try to finish your post so I can reply.
groovzilla (07-16-2020)
Old 07-15-2020 | 10:59 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

I get why some people enjoy that weekend drive in the country, rowing through the gears in a manual transmission. It takes you back to a time when cars were simple and basic. I still have a manual transmission in my BMW. But, after 60+ years of mostly cars with manual transmissions, the thrill is gone.
Old 07-16-2020 | 12:56 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
Groovzilla, I tried reading your post but struggled to understand it, then my blow up doll called for me so I stopped reading. I’ll get out the dicktionery later and try to finish your post so I can reply.
SO I'm guessing PDK?
ManoTexas (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020 | 12:57 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kru911
I have and will always enjoy rowing gears during spirits drives. And, I had initially set out seeking a manual 997 GTS. My previous 911's and other fun cars were three-pedal. Even my first mini-van was a slightly modded manual Caravan.

It was seldom a manual 997 GTS came up for re-sale in Canada, when I was looking. When a PDK version was listed locally, in one of the colours I like, I took it out for a test drive and serious consideration. Honestly, despite the impressively quick shifting, I was not entirely convinced it was the right car for me. However, later that day, I opened up to trying "different" after driving my 6spd 996 followed by sequential deep visualizations of shifting the PDK out on mountain drives.
Since then, I have been thoroughly enjoying my 997, operating the PDK in manual mode most times. Essentially, I have grown to embrace the option of having auto in heavy traffic. Sure, there are often times I miss shifting and having the sublime simple marriage of a flat-six and manual transmission. But, my 997, is a sort of the outer bounds of "sports car" to me. The PDK 997 combo works for me, just as does the full active PASM (using a DSC Sport Controller). I can hear some purists gasp
It has been some time now without a manual in my tiny stable, and my left calf has slimmed down a little. I will have another manual Porsche in the future. Besides, I am likely to pick up a manual starter (a modded VW) next week for the first of my student-driver children - driving manual is mandatory in our household. Yes, the Mrs. enjoys manuals and drives them quite well too.
Groov - Looking forward to driving south of the 49th again once C19 is under control. Hope all is well with you and René. Take care!
You have invitation to our house/guestroom whenever it happens! That Roxy show was awesome! And so great to meet you at the show.
All the best and take care!!!

kru911 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020 | 11:27 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Love the manual transmission and would never switch! Just too much enjoyment for me. Also have an old CJ-7 (1985) with a stick that I use for back and forth to the beach....can't imaging it with an auto trans.
The following 2 users liked this post by TommyV44:
ADias (07-17-2020), Ironman88 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020 | 10:15 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Originally Posted by Balr14
I get why some people enjoy that weekend drive in the country, rowing through the gears in a manual transmission. It takes you back to a time when cars were simple and basic. I still have a manual transmission in my BMW. But, after 60+ years of mostly cars with manual transmissions, the thrill is gone.
It is always subjective. I follow a lot of sales on BAT because it is a good way to kill some downtime. 911r is a seller there with cars usually multiple times a week. Their photos and driving videos are top notch. Watching their driver rowing through the gears of many different Porsches is always entertaining. Below is one of current videos for a Boxster Spyder up now for auction. The car sounds great(external mic), looks great too, and the shifts are lightning fast, and I barely see his fingers flicking the shift paddles. He can concentrate on 2 hands on the wheel, braking, and turning without distraction I suppose. It's not really inspiring. Totally subjective. I'd pay the same for a little less performance and weight for the lower tech version.

Ironman88 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020 | 10:38 PM
heavysixer22
Instructor

I've had my first 911 for a few weeks (997.1 C2S manual—I ONLY shopped for a 6 speed), but the first day I had it I understood why a PDK would be cool, too.

These cars are a visceral delight, and I get the allure of going full boil and getting that extra performance edge that the PDK offers. Those blip-shift downshifts, that immediate rush or torque with the flick of a finger. Good times.

I'm super happy with my 6-speed, but honestly, I think it's a great experience either way. You're driving a 911!

Quick Reply: New Excellence Magazine Article "Manual Transmission Owners Higher IQ/Better Lovers"