Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 02:44 PM
barfoo
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

My thinking continues to evolve, but here is what I would like:
  • Car:
    • 991.1 --> Carrera S or 4S
    • 991.2 --> base Carrera with the options below would be ok, or Carrera S or 4S
  • Price range:
    • $40K - 60K, but would be willing to stretch the upper end for something a bit more special/newer/lower-miles
    • I would really prefer a newer, lower mileage car (I.e. 991.1 or 991.2). But that's a challenge with my budget.
  • Mileage:
    • <40K
  • Paint Color:
    • Unique if possible --> Miami Blue, Night Blue Metallic, and Graphite Blue are nice, etc and I've seen some paint to sample colors that are beautiful
    • Somewhat flexible here, but ideally it will not be black/white/silver as everyone seems to own one of these.
    • There are 6 911's within a dozen houses of me in all directions and they are all painted in the usual colors :-)
  • Interior color: Black, or other dark shade (espresso, etc).
  • Transmission:
    • MT or PDK. Both are ok with me at this point in time. On any given day, my priority shifts :-)
    • Side note: I'm 58, with knees that are still working, but are aging. I do have some concerns about owning an MT for the long haul as I age further.
    • I drove a 2012 pdk for the first time yesterday. Still haven't driven a 911 MT. If I can try out an MT, it might sway my judgement.
  • Must-have options:
    • Sport exhaust
    • Better audio (Bose or Burmester)
    • Sport chrono is a must with PDK, optional with MT (e.g. nice to have)
    • PASM
    • 14 or 18 way electrically adjustable seats (wrapped in leather)
  • Bonus/nice-to-have options:
    • Park assist (front and rear)
    • Rear view camera
    • Lane change assist
    • Electrically folding mirrors
    • Automatically dimming mirrors
  • Deal killers:
    • Interior colors: Terra Cotta, Beige, Sand, Chalk, Red, or other light/bright colors
    • Alcantera wrapped steering wheel (don't hold up well with sweaty hands in Texas, they discolor and get matted)
    • Alcantera should ideally be limited to the headliner (i.e not on seats, armrests, door liners, etc).
Old 07-28-2020, 03:51 PM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

I would not spend the extra on the sound package. With pilot sports they make enough noise I'm pretty much talk radio am at highway speeds. Maybe new 911's are quieter? Also, probably find it's either PSE open or radio on. Not both at same time.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:44 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by barfoo
My thinking continues to evolve, but here is what I would like:
  • Car:
    • 991.1 --> Carrera S or 4S
    • 991.2 --> base Carrera with the options below would be ok, or Carrera S or 4S
  • Price range:
    • $40K - 60K, but would be willing to stretch the upper end for something a bit more special/newer/lower-miles
    • I would really prefer a newer, lower mileage car (I.e. 991.1 or 991.2). But that's a challenge with my budget.
  • Mileage:
    • <40K
  • Paint Color:
    • Unique if possible --> Miami Blue, Night Blue Metallic, and Graphite Blue are nice, etc and I've seen some paint to sample colors that are beautiful
    • Somewhat flexible here, but ideally it will not be black/white/silver as everyone seems to own one of these.
    • There are 6 911's within a dozen houses of me in all directions and they are all painted in the usual colors :-)
  • Interior color: Black, or other dark shade (espresso, etc).
  • Transmission:
    • MT or PDK. Both are ok with me at this point in time. On any given day, my priority shifts :-)
    • Side note: I'm 58, with knees that are still working, but are aging. I do have some concerns about owning an MT for the long haul as I age further.
    • I drove a 2012 pdk for the first time yesterday. Still haven't driven a 911 MT. If I can try out an MT, it might sway my judgement.
  • Must-have options:
    • Sport exhaust
    • Better audio (Bose or Burmester)
    • Sport chrono is a must with PDK, optional with MT (e.g. nice to have)
    • PASM
    • 14 or 18 way electrically adjustable seats (wrapped in leather)
  • Bonus/nice-to-have options:
    • Park assist (front and rear)
    • Rear view camera
    • Lane change assist
    • Electrically folding mirrors
    • Automatically dimming mirrors
  • Deal killers:
    • Interior colors: Terra Cotta, Beige, Sand, Chalk, Red, or other light/bright colors
    • Alcantera wrapped steering wheel (don't hold up well with sweaty hands in Texas, they discolor and get matted)
    • Alcantera should ideally be limited to the headliner (i.e not on seats, armrests, door liners, etc).
The .2 with the turbos is just a much hotter, better performing car. I am not super big fan of the 991 look or interior, but would go with the 991.2 base even over a 991.1 GTS. The extra torque and easy to tune engine. put that car at another level over the NA 991.1s. You need to drive one.

I would also do pdk in a 991.2 That transmission is a much better fit with the performance level of that car.
The following users liked this post:
Balr14 (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 04:54 PM
barfoo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Doug H
The .2 with the turbos is just a much hotter, better performing car. I am not super big fan of the 991 look or interior, but would go with the 991.2 base even over a 991.1 GTS. The extra torque and easy to tune engine. put that car at another level over the NA 991.1s. You need to drive one.

I would also do pdk in a 991.2 That transmission is a much better fit with the performance level of that car.
Am starting to lean towards a PDK as well (not firm yet) as that would be the best long term answer as I age further and knees degrade... And it really is a stellar combo with the addition of torquey TT's on the 997.2 model lineage.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:57 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

If you go with the 991.2, the water pump appears to be the only real problem with the 9A2 engine.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:15 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalblond
Hi--I'll jump in on this too now. I really like this 991.2 build and if it's in your price point I think you should at least give it a look. I love manual transmissions and that's all I go for--so I am biased- but if you really enjoy manuals then you will be disappointed not having one. Also, a 991.2 base model is pretty rare. I'm in the minority here, but I don't think you should disqualify a car on whether it has a leather dashboard or not. My 991.2 had a standard interior and I had 3 people trying to buy it from me without hesitation. I like the sport exhaust, sport chrono package and color and wheel combination more than a leather dashboard but, of course, if you are into having leather dashboard so much it would bother you, then find one with it.
I also found this article on 997s and thought I'd post it for you. https://carbuzz.com/features/now-is-...orsche-911-997
I hope you find your dream car!!
That article you posted the link to is the reason I started looking out for a good car... which I just put a deposit on yesterday, it's in PPI in Florida now, and I'm hopping into the rental car on Thursday to see if she's coming home with me on Friday, which I think is likely. I'll take some snaps and post the particulars here very soon. I think you'll approve, maybe even a bit jealous. We'll see. It's a '12 997.2 in black. I'll save the rest for later...wish me luck! (I can hardly sleep)
jcsomerv (07-29-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 09:50 PM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dasams
Barfoo - Your deferred gratification and hunt are nearly identical to mine. When I was in grad school, I reminder going down to the Porsche dealer on Saturdays to sit in the cars thinking 'some day'. I'm also an engineer (PhD Chem E) and could have afforded one from early on in my career. But I deferred and finally pulled the trigger at age 54. How did I decide on my car? Well it just spoke to me and it was specced with the three must haves IMO: 6MT, adaptive sport seats (hardbacks) and full leather. It was a lease return with 4,9xx miles and I've added 15,xxx miles over the past eight years. Just keep looking and you'll know it when you see it. GL, Dave
Me too! use to ride my bicycle past the Porsche dealer in North Dallas when I was 14-15 and they'd let me sit in the new 914 and the 911. Did that off and on until i realized life wasn't going the let me have one I really wanted...until this Friday! I cant'''''''ing wait! Hope is passes PPI, because I am really looking forward to driving her home from FLA. True social distancing... me, the road and the sound of a flat 6 with sport exhaust the whole F*^#^ing way home!!!
jcsomerv (07-29-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 10:54 PM
barfoo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rickamurphy
Me too! use to ride my bicycle past the Porsche dealer in North Dallas when I was 14-15 and they'd let me sit in the new 914 and the 911. Did that off and on until i realized life wasn't going the let me have one I really wanted...until this Friday! I cant'''''''ing wait! Hope is passes PPI, because I am really looking forward to driving her home from FLA. True social distancing... me, the road and the sound of a flat 6 with sport exhaust the whole F*^#^ing way home!!!
Fantastic Rickamurphy !! Let me be the first to congratulate you! I really hope the PPI goes well.

I've been waiting to do this since 1985 myself. Periodically I would torture myself by going to car dealerships to window shop :-) Now I can actually go in the store and buy !!

Let us know how it works out and post a photo or two!

mavfan909 (07-31-2020)
Old 07-31-2020, 05:52 AM
barfoo
Instructor

Hey, Rickamurthy ... It's Friday! I've been thinking of your golden day here :-) How did the PPI go? Take a couple of photos and let us see your new baby!
Old 07-31-2020, 01:04 PM
mavfan909
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H

I totally agree with this. I drove a bunch of 991.1 Carrera S models and was SO DISAPPOINTED. I came home and told my wife that my dream of owning a 911 was over. I didn't understand the hype. Then I drove the 991.2 Carrera S and TT and realized the issue was I am a torque *****. So I decided to get a 997 TT since I like that body style, power, and price (presumably at the depreciation floor) much better than the 991.2 Carrera. I also can't afford a 991.2 TT.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:08 PM
mavfan909
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Rickamurphy
That's awesome. I grew up in Plano and had posters of a 911 Turbos on my walls. My dad would take me to the Porsche dealer in Plano and the Ferrari dealer in Richardson just so I could smell the leather and dream. Now that I have one, I literally create chores just so I can go drive it. I have had it for 3 weeks and I am still head over heels. Enjoy realizing a childhood dream! Now if only Salma Hayek would marry me, I'd be set
Old 07-31-2020, 02:44 PM
fastb4ck
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 112 Posts

I just wanted a 6 speed "S" that's not silver lol
Old 07-31-2020, 03:04 PM
barfoo
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by mavfan909
That's awesome. I grew up in Plano and had posters of a 911 Turbos on my walls. My dad would take me to the Porsche dealer in Plano and the Ferrari dealer in Richardson just so I could smell the leather and dream. Now that I have one, I literally create chores just so I can go drive it. I have had it for 3 weeks and I am still head over heels. Enjoy realizing a childhood dream! Now if only Salma Hayek would marry me, I'd be set
That's funny. I don't even own one of these yet, but I'm already building up a bunch of reasons to go visit my family members in the Central Texas Hill Country (windy and twisty roads :-), etc, etc.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:07 PM
barfoo
Instructor

Originally Posted by fastb4ck
I just wanted a 6 speed "S" that's not silver lol
Yeah, that's how I started too :-) Just get me in a 911, any 911. Well, not the base model. Well, not 993's because the A/C is too anemic for Texas. So it's 996 or newer. Then ... .... ....

Now I'm looking for a 991.2 in some other color besides the usual black, white, silver !!

Last edited by barfoo; 07-31-2020 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:57 AM
Papamurphdog
Rennlist Member

Default She's mine! Had her for a week now!!! So freaking happy!!!

Originally Posted by barfoo
Hey, Rickamurthy ... It's Friday! I've been thinking of your golden day here :-) How did the PPI go? Take a couple of photos and let us see your new baby!
This is the old owner in the car as I have not had time to do a good photo shoot...but the car is very cherry. I'm f-ing thrilled! It's a 2012 Black Edition (#945) with a new PDK (original had an issue, so he installed new one in '18, yea!) and SC, plus a GT3 suspension upgrade, and Girodisc 2pc rotors with a brake upgrade, with only 34.6K when I bought it. Still smells new inside and interior is basically new. Whole hood and front of car is filmed. The wheels are actually perfect, not a single scratch (he had stashed them and was running Forgeline on the track. I'm going in a different direction), and the motor is super strong no issues on compression or leak-down. GT3 suspension is awesome. Flat but not super firm so still nice to street. Perfect set up, and I had the PPI shop set the camber to a trackable street setting, so I don't eat the tires too badly (not really a daily driver), and they did a fresh brake fluid and oil change, and all the other fluids, wipers, TPC sensors, just to make sure the car was as fresh as possible, before the trip home. I am in LOVE!!! So... just got the Solarworks anti-UV tinting today. Bought the EMC2 Design 991 front lip and install kit, which will go on this weekend (the owner was great and gave me a lot of pointers). Then, on the 25th, Goldcrest Motorsports is going to do an Sharkwerks center muffler delete, swap out the paper filters for dry BCM's (on all their track cars) and then do a Softronic remap/tune. The combo should be good for >35 RWHP or so (we'll see. I'll report the news later. With some photos!). Then taking a pause to enjoy the car for a bit, while i refresh my hobby bank account... and think about track wheels, cage options and seats. I have a f---ing 911! Soooooo happy!

VT Blue (08-13-2020)

Quick Reply: How do you choose the "right" 911?