Short shifter upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 12:59 PM
David Berry
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Short shifter upgrade?

After finishing the easy upgrades,
Spacers and exhaust, I’m looking to upgrade the shifter in my 2010 997.2 C2S MT6. Who has done it, OEM GT3 shifter, Numeric, others?
Is there any consensus, shift cables needed or not to make it work properly?
Old 07-05-2020, 01:08 PM
JT77
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I did the numeric with stock cables at 50k miles. Love it. Much better feel than the stock shifter. Have the numeric cables On deck for another day.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:06 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Numeric is the nicest one for sure, but will run you $700. Most people do the cables and shifter at the same time. The stock cables eventually wear and either break or slip off the attachment point. I changed out the cables with a numeric cable knock off and it did not do much for shifting slop. I did it though to not have a repeat of the cables slipping off the attachment points.

I then shimmed the stock shifter with shim stock. It helped take a lot of the slop out, but not all of it.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:35 PM
David Berry
Racer

Originally Posted by doclouie
Numeric is the nicest one for sure, but will run you $700. Most people do the cables and shifter at the same time. The stock cables eventually wear and either break or slip off the attachment point. I changed out the cables with a numeric cable knock off and it did not do much for shifting slop. I did it though to not have a repeat of the cables slipping off the attachment points.

I then shimmed the stock shifter with shim stock. It helped take a lot of the slop out, but not all of it.
Bryan,
How difficult was the cable swap?
In my investigations, this appears the be the more difficult part of a complete change. Was thinking of asking Warren at Rennsport of a quote to do both.
Old 07-05-2020, 02:56 PM
buddalun
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 56 Posts

I strongly recommend the Numeric shifter with Numeric cables, and then having the cables wrapped in (silicone?) tubing that Numeric offers. This eliminates any noise associated with the cables and provides a mechanical, rifle bolt, precise feel. Best mod on my 997.2 C2S by far. There are many threads on this singing similar praise.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:02 PM
David Berry
Racer

Originally Posted by buddalun
I strongly recommend the Numeric shifter with Numeric cables, and then having the cables wrapped in (silicone?) tubing that Numeric offers. This eliminates any noise associated with the cables and provides a mechanical, rifle bolt, precise feel. Best mod on my 997.2 C2S by far. There are many threads on this singing similar praise.
This is what I have heard of from those of us with 6MT. Before I considered doing this, the “best mod” was Fister sport exhaust. But am thinking Numeric shifter might displace Fister for the Best Mod I have done badge.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:44 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by David Berry
Bryan,
How difficult was the cable swap?
In my investigations, this appears the be the more difficult part of a complete change. Was thinking of asking Warren at Rennsport of a quote to do both.
The cable swap was not too bad. The hardest part was getting the rubber bushing back into place even with tons of silicone spray. You need to remove the bottom panels and route the cables exactly like the stock ones. If you are going to do the shifter I would go the extra mile and do the cables too. Cables are the harder of the two for sure, but neither of them are difficult. I have a video that shows the stock shifter play before and after the cable swap.

Check out this thread and the videos I attached so you can see how much play Was removed. Very little in my opinion.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...es-review.html
Old 07-05-2020, 05:21 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Do the Numeric shifter first. It's night and day with stock in removing slop and you can set how short you want the throws. Easy and clean install.

If that's not tight enough for you, then take on the cables. That's my recommendation.
The following users liked this post:
espressobar (07-06-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 06:14 PM
David Berry
Racer

Originally Posted by TheTorch
Do the Numeric shifter first. It's night and day with stock in removing slop and you can set how short you want the throws. Easy and clean install.

If that's not tight enough for you, then take on the cables. That's my recommendation.
Torch,
I think I agree with you. 48,000 miles on current cables.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:23 PM
Floyd540
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 277 Posts

Just reporting a data point. 2011 997.2 , 92,000 miles. Shifter replaced by previous owner 30,000 miles ago. It is the OEM short shifter. It works perfect and has no slop anywhere and no real detectable deflection. Highly recommended. Have added a solid aluminum Function First shift **** that really adds a solid feel. Still running stock cables but orange trans mount fillers. The 997.2 may have better luck with stock cables than the 997.1 but I am not sure. For a lot of aggressive track work then the other shifter options may be the better choice. For street and a few DE days, OEM short shift seems perfect. Do replace the plastic shift **** with a weighted one. This makes the biggest difference. My opinion
Old 07-06-2020, 11:30 AM
David Berry
Racer

Originally Posted by Floyd540
Just reporting a data point. 2011 997.2 , 92,000 miles. Shifter replaced by previous owner 30,000 miles ago. It is the OEM short shifter. It works perfect and has no slop anywhere and no real detectable deflection. Highly recommended. Have added a solid aluminum Function First shift **** that really adds a solid feel. Still running stock cables but orange trans mount fillers. The 997.2 may have better luck with stock cables than the 997.1 but I am not sure. For a lot of aggressive track work then the other shifter options may be the better choice. For street and a few DE days, OEM short shift seems perfect. Do replace the plastic shift **** with a weighted one. This makes the biggest difference. My opinion
I have read that the OEM short shifter is the one used in the GT3? This looks real interesting. I have read that it is possible to miss 3rd gear with the Numeric and get 1st by mistake, possibly causing a catastrophe, but not with the OEM shifter. Plus the OEM short shifter is significantly less expensive.....
There is a video of a Porsche mechanic talking about this somewhere here, stating how close and tight the Numeric shifter is. Running this on the track would open the possibility of inadvertently hitting first gear. He stated the GT3 shifter was a great option.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:32 PM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 145 Posts

Definitely do Numeric shifter and cables. I hemmed and hawed for a few months and ended up doing the upgrade, very much worth it. Best mod up there with the DSC sport module for PASM, and the Macan steering wheel.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:54 PM
David Berry
Racer

Originally Posted by acr89
Definitely do Numeric shifter and cables. I hemmed and hawed for a few months and ended up doing the upgrade, very much worth it. Best mod up there with the DSC sport module for PASM, and the Macan steering wheel.
Funny how “Best mod” went from Fister Sport Exhaust to Numeric Shifter!
It is addictive once you start down this path...
Old 07-06-2020, 12:59 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 222 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by David Berry
Funny how “Best mod” went from Fister Sport Exhaust to Numeric Shifter!
It is addictive once you start down this path...
They aren't kidding when they say it is the best mod!

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 07-06-2020, 01:48 PM
David Berry
Racer

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
They aren't kidding when they say it is the best mod!
Speaking from experience, would you say fast shifts on a Numeric Shifter Results in positive gear selection?
The following users liked this post:
espressobar (07-06-2020)

Quick Reply: Short shifter upgrade?