Sponsored by:

Precision Works Shifter Cables Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 03:55 PM
415CPA
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Precision Works Shifter Cables Review

Hey everyone, just got around to installing a set of Precision Works Shifter cables in my 997 Targa 4S and wanted to share a review on them since I couldn't find anyone else who has used them. Over the past month, I was having a hard time shifting into 2nd and my original OEM cables kept popping off at the transmission side so it was time to refresh them. I was planning to go with new OEM cables but I came across these Precision Works Shifter cables for $365 or best offer on Ebay. I made an offer of $260 and the seller accepted. With tax, the total was about $280 shipped! Installation was pretty straight forward and it came with a wrench to lock the cables down. I bought some 3/8in fuel line from O'Reillys to insulate the cable from making additional NVH. The cables paired with my B&M short shifter, my shifting has become easier, smoother and more direct. It removed pretty much all of the slop and now have a much better driving experience. I am really happy with the results. Pictures below.

Shifter cables

Up close of the cable ends - shifter side

Cable ends - shifter side

Up close of the cable ends - transmission side

Cable ends - transmission side

Side by side with OEM cables

Inner caps and wrench

Transmission side installed

Shifter side installed
Old 04-14-2020, 04:02 PM
TopKatz
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts

Those look like numerics
The following users liked this post:
415CPA (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 05:38 PM
415CPA
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TopKatz
Those look like numerics
Yes they do.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:27 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

Those look an awful lot like the Numeric shifter cables I had installed in my 997.2 C4S. I have the Numeric shifter, too, and it's amazing, but the cables are dramatic and completely tighten up the shifting. It's an entirely new shifting experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by Darkhorse:
415CPA (04-16-2020), Numeric Racing (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 12:16 AM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Yeah, I feel like I say it in every relevant thread but IMO the cables are really where the greatest shifting improvement is going to be had since they're the part that actually interacts with the transmission, not the free floating floppy lever. They're not as quick and easy to install as an SSK but the upgrade is dramatic and worth it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Skwerl:
415CPA (04-16-2020), Darkhorse (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 01:15 PM
415CPA
Rennlist Member

I absolutely agree with you guys. The cables made such an enormous difference in the shifts.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:02 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Are the adjustments in the cables at each end or just one end and if so which end? It looks like they are only adjustable at the shifter.

Also how long did the install take?
Old 04-16-2020, 04:56 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doclouie
Are the adjustments in the cables at each end or just one end and if so which end? It looks like they are only adjustable at the shifter.

Each cable end is mounted with threaded rod, so lengths can be adjusted to fine-tune the throw once the housings are locked in place. My guy installed the cables into an already disassembled interior while he had the transmission out for a clutch, the car was on a service lift. He removed and adjusted the shifter ends once after installation to position neutral so shifting is tuned to my arm's natural position.

If I were to have installed the shifter and cables in my garage, by myself, with the car on 22" jack stands, I would have allowed several days, maybe a week, and stayed relaxed.

Go to www.numericracing.com and review the installation guide for the shifter and cables. This will give you a good idea of what is involved.

Last edited by Darkhorse; 04-16-2020 at 05:00 PM. Reason: clarity
Numeric Racing (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 05:02 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Darkhorse
Each cable end is mounted with threaded rod, so lengths can be adjusted to fine-tune the throw once the housings are locked in place. My guy installed the cables into an already disassembled interior while he had the transmission out for a clutch, the car was on a service lift. He removed and adjusted the shifter ends once after installation to position neutral so shifting is tuned to my arm's natural position.

If I were to have installed the shifter and cables in my garage, by myself, with the car on 22" jack stands, I would have allowed several days, maybe a week, and stayed relaxed.

Go to www.numericracing.com and review the installation guide for the shifter and cables. This will give you a good idea of what is involved.
Thanks. I, like many, are looking for things to play with on my car.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:13 PM
415CPA
Rennlist Member

Those look an awful lot like the Numeric shifter cables I had installed in my 997.2 C4S. I have the Numeric shifter, too, and it's amazing, but the cables are dramatic and completely tighten up the shifting. It's an entirely new shifting experience.
Originally Posted by Skwerl
Yeah, I feel like I say it in every relevant thread but IMO the cables are really where the greatest shifting improvement is going to be had since they're the part that actually interacts with the transmission, not the free floating floppy lever. They're not as quick and easy to install as an SSK but the upgrade is dramatic and worth it.

Install for me was about 3 hours but depends on how fast you are.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:16 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts

I was going to cheat and install the function-first shifter cable ends and now I seeing this....humm....making me think twice.... wonder how they will be differ in feel ??
Old 04-16-2020, 05:28 PM
Numeric Racing
Former Sponsor

Received 222 Likes on 136 Posts

Awesome! Thanks for the great feedback
Darkhorse (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 06:05 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Default playing with our cars

Thanks. I, like many, are looking for things to play with on my car.
Yeah, me, too. Numeric is a great mod; the shifter and cables will make a great project. And, it's going to make an amazing difference in your car.

You have to remove the underbody trays to get to the cable ends. So, while the wheels and the trays were off, I found all kinds of things to clean. My mechanic couldn't believe how clean everything was when he replaced the clutch and changed the fluids. I had a p/s leak and the oil pan was crusted with old p/s fluid; I cleaned the oil pan, the surrounding parts, and the front of the motor with degreaser, brass brushes, and lots of microfiber towels. He replaced the p/s pump and the belt. I replaced the intake plenum and cleaned the top of the motor and the rest of the engine compartment. I finished the bottom of the motor after this photo. I think it's a clean driver. I'll probably go a little crazy on it again next winter before the spring service.

I think mine handles better now that I cleaned underneath.

The following 3 users liked this post by Darkhorse:
415CPA (04-17-2020), Kineticdg (02-16-2021), sbbarnett (08-10-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 06:16 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

You're welcome. Thanks for providing such an excellent product for our cars.
Numeric Racing (04-16-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 09:04 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Well these cables will be here next week so I will install them with my stock shifter and will reply back in here how it feels. Thanks for the post. I have kept wondering what I was going to work on next. This car is built so well it never needs anything, except modifications to make it how I like it.
The following 3 users liked this post by doclouie:
415CPA (04-17-2020), Darkhorse (04-17-2020), Murphey997 (04-24-2020)

Quick Reply: Precision Works Shifter Cables Review