Sponsored by:

Best way to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 11:12 AM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Best way to sell?

I have been wanting to go to a turbo ot gt3 for a while, but just havent made the plunge and sold my C2S. I am now trying to get the process started. How have cars with mods been selling? Better to pull stuff off? Or are people looking for cars with the usual mods like exhaust, etc? A lot of work to put it back to stock, but could probably save close to $5k on the sale
Old 07-02-2020, 12:43 PM
jglaze
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If the mods are done well, you may be ok to sell as-is, but you can always consider parting out if you don't feel you're getting offers that are in line for the price you'd like. I think the key is to clean the car well, take good pictures, and provide as much detail (and personality) in your description in the sales listing as possible. If the car is in good shape, it will often sell itself if presented well. Good luck!
Old 07-02-2020, 01:02 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

I am by no means an expert, but here are a couple of thoughts based on my experience....

If you find a Turbo or GT3 at a dealer, it might be easier to trade in your C2S vs. selling private party. You can avoid tire kickers and there could be some tax savings by trading in your C2S. I have a buddy who recently consigned a couple cars at a dealer and that worked out well for him. He can either take the cash or have them hold it for a trade in (which he will likely do), so you get some flexibility there. It might be worth talking to your local Porsche dealer if they're easy to work with.

Depending on the time and expense to bring your car back to stock, you might be better off selling it as is. Heavily modified cars can sometimes be harder to sell, but some enthusiasts might appreciate what you've done to the car, especially if it includes some of the more popular mods and manufacturers for these cars (Numeric Short Shifter, Fister Exhaust, DSC Sport Controller, etc.). I think it goes without saying that you almost never get back what you invest in mods, but the hassle of bringing it back to stock and selling the parts off piecemeal might not be worth the effort.

You could list your C2S here and on PCA at a price that you think is fair and see if you get some offers before you start bringing it back to stock.

Good luck.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:30 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
I am by no means an expert, but here are a couple of thoughts based on my experience....

If you find a Turbo or GT3 at a dealer, it might be easier to trade in your C2S vs. selling private party. You can avoid tire kickers and there could be some tax savings by trading in your C2S. I have a buddy who recently consigned a couple cars at a dealer and that worked out well for him. He can either take the cash or have them hold it for a trade in (which he will likely do), so you get some flexibility there. It might be worth talking to your local Porsche dealer if they're easy to work with.

Depending on the time and expense to bring your car back to stock, you might be better off selling it as is. Heavily modified cars can sometimes be harder to sell, but some enthusiasts might appreciate what you've done to the car, especially if it includes some of the more popular mods and manufacturers for these cars (Numeric Short Shifter, Fister Exhaust, DSC Sport Controller, etc.). I think it goes without saying that you almost never get back what you invest in mods, but the hassle of bringing it back to stock and selling the parts off piecemeal might not be worth the effort.

You could list your C2S here and on PCA at a price that you think is fair and see if you get some offers before you start bringing it back to stock.

Good luck.

The tax savings from trading in varies by state. We don't get that bonus in California sadly.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:09 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Mods go mostly unnoticed when trading in at a dealership. The tools they use to determine trade-in value don't really account for mods. But, if you are selling private to most Porsche enthusiasts they are generally undesirable and will cost you. I had $10k in mods that probably lowered my resale by at least $5k over stock. Mods send a signal that you beat on it or tracked it, or you wouldn't have made the mods. There was a Rennlist member who bought a 997.1 about a year ago, sight unseen. Turns out the car had a supercharger that the seller never mentioned. It was an expensive installation and turned out fine for the buyer. I wonder if he would have bought the car knowing it had a supercharger?
Old 07-02-2020, 11:58 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,966 Likes on 2,938 Posts

If the mods don't take away from the basic design of the car, IMO many of the various mods like Gundo Hack Exhaust note to sound like PSE, slight lowering (H&R Springs/etc), improved motor/tranny mounts, upgraded Bluetooth CM, short shift kit, will give your car better market value.

Design/aesthetic Mods like rear wings, side skirts, stripes on paint, stickers, major change to exhaust note, any radical alteration of body or wheels IMO will decrease your cars market value.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:11 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

Last year I was in the same situation. The wife gave the go ahead to buy a GT3 and sell the C2s. I listed it on Auotrader and Craigslist. Had an interested party all lined up. Then the wife took a ride in my new 997.2 GT3. She told me to keep both. She hates riding in the GT3. It's too loud, and too firm a ride for her. She wanted me to keep the C2s so I would have something else fun to drive that she could ride along with me. She's even started driving it a bit. Now that I own both, I have a new found appreciation for what the C2S is. Instead of being a disappointing track car, its a great driver for everyday that can hang on some great canyon drives.
I guess my point is this, I love the GT3 but it's not for everyone, everyday.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:50 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine
I have been wanting to go to a turbo ot gt3 for a while, but just havent made the plunge and sold my C2S. I am now trying to get the process started. How have cars with mods been selling? Better to pull stuff off? Or are people looking for cars with the usual mods like exhaust, etc? A lot of work to put it back to stock, but could probably save close to $5k on the sale
Some mods seem to add value to many if not most owners. Other mods cause prospective buyers to shutdown - and may cause many of them to avoid even looking at the car.

You've asked for opinions from others here - but without more information, the opinions you get may not be of much help.

Perhaps you might be willing to convey what mods you have - with the objective of getting more specific / meaningful feedback from others here. It may end up being beneficial to you.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:46 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine
Can only speak for my own experiences of course. Had my GTS up for sale less than a year ago. What I thought would be attractive mods instead turned out to be deal breakers. OEM Porsche GT2 carbon fiber bucket seats retailing for $10,500 meant nothing to most who showed interest in the car. "Do you have the stock seats?" was the typical first question.

Same with the wheels. Fairly neutral or at least not obnoxious looking Forgelines weighing close to 40 lbs less than stock for the set of four along with customized offsets making them flush with the fenders which is the only way to do that with centerlock wheels as spacers are not an option. Price for that set of four is close to $7,000. Would seem like an attractive mod all things considered but same thing again. "Do you have the stock wheels"?

This should answer your question since I had plenty of interest in the car but little interest in any kind of mods including $10,500 OEM seats in as new condition. Speaks volumes to how many or most buyers want bone stock. Put your car back to stock to the extent you can and sell whatever after market parts you're left with to those who want them would be my advice for what it's worth.
The following users liked this post:
Murphey997 (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 02:46 AM
Unframed
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 83 Posts

If you replace the wheels keep your OEM wheels. Don’t sell them. Buyers care a lot about this.

In fact, keep your all of your stock parts. And stick to mods that are reversible.
The following users liked this post:
Doug H (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 03:02 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Unframed
If you replace the wheels keep your OEM wheels. Don’t sell them. Buyers care a lot about this.

In fact, keep your all of your stock parts. And stick to mods that are reversible.
In 100% agreement. Just posted this on the same subject: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post16746550
Old 07-03-2020, 03:26 AM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

I think it depends on the buyer and how well done the mods are like others have suggested. My car was modded by prior owner with a sharkwerks power pack and coil overs. The PCM was replaced with a wireless carplay system that was done very well (I would have done this myself so I didn’t mind having it done to my tastes already). These were all mods that were desirable to me after extensive forum reading here, other than perhaps the coil overs. I believe I paid close to market value for what would have been a stock car, maybe slightly less.

I will say, it did come with 19” copies of the 991 carrera classic wheel (I think that’s what it is, they only come in 20s). So while not period specific to my 997.2, they don’t look too bad. Would have probably preferred OEM wheels though if I am being honest.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:46 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,530 Likes on 652 Posts

Most people mod to personalize their car so changing things from stock is likely to harm resale unless the buyer shares the seller's tastes. The only real exceptions I know of are things that are quality fixes for known shortcomings from the factory (IMS solution on 997.1, pinned coolant pipes on the Metzger turbo, etc.). That being said, I was thrilled to realize the wheels on my old 997.1 (which the CPO dealer made me sign a form acknowledging they were unknown aftermarkets) were Champion Motorsports RS198 forged monolights. Like most of the enthusiasts here we recognize quality mods and can appreciate their value. There are a surprisingly high number of 911 owners/buyers that aren't enthusiasts and view any mod with suspicion.

Quick Reply: Best way to sell?