Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 997.1 C2S—what maintenance to do first?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 01:03 PM
heavysixer22
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by linderpat
At some point you'll want to replace the air oil separater (AOS) and watch the coolant tank for leaks, as they get brittle over time and can crack. Also make sure the coolant tank cap (it's blue) ends in p/n 04 or higher. The earlier caps leak and you can lose coolant just from that. Cheap upgrade. My 05 also ended up having a failed oil cooler, which was replaced when the AOS coolant tank, RMS and IMS, water pump and TB were all done 2 years ago (and clutch, this car really needs nothing for a long time as I think about it - good feeling)..
Thanks for the recommendations. The coolant cap tip is a great insight and illustrates what makes Rennlist such a valuable asset!
Old 06-21-2020, 01:10 PM
heavysixer22
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petza914
They really should have put a new serpentine belt on during the water pump replacement, and installed a new thermostat. Check with them on those 2 items.

Should have asked you about cool packs, but they may make it to the next plug change. If you start getting misfires, especially in the rain, you'll know they didn't.
​​
As mentioned, replace the coolant reservoir cap and keep an eye on the coolant level and that expansion tank, especially with the car being from CA and AZ.

The only other thing I'd do is a manual transmission fluid change. Use only Mobillube PTX - don't think about using anything else. It's a simple drain and refill.

Congratulations. You're going to love those PCCBs.
Good idea on the trans fluid. I’ll have to figure out if I’m brave enough to wrench on this car or dedicated enough to buy the tools (I don’t even have a floor jack) but it’s certainly tempting.

I already have the invoice for the work, and while the water pump and thermostat were addressed, the serpentine belt was not. I’ll make sure to have it checked out with a local Indy once I get the car here (the wait is killing me!).

I’ll also be sure to take a close look at the coolant tank and cap and make sure they’re in good shape.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 06-21-2020, 08:16 PM
Scott Newsome
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

May I ask what it cost to do the preventative stuff you did?
Old 06-21-2020, 08:41 PM
autobahnburner
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by heavysixer22
Good idea on the trans fluid. I’ll have to figure out if I’m brave enough to wrench on this car or dedicated enough to buy the tools (I don’t even have a floor jack) but it’s certainly tempting.

I already have the invoice for the work, and while the water pump and thermostat were addressed, the serpentine belt was not. I’ll make sure to have it checked out with a local Indy once I get the car here (the wait is killing me!).

I’ll also be sure to take a close look at the coolant tank and cap and make sure they’re in good shape.

Thanks for the feedback!
Suncoast Porsche is the only place I know of that sells Mobil PTX by the liter. You'll need 3 liters for the 997. They're a solid option for Porsche parts in general btw.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/00004320420L.html
Old 06-21-2020, 09:21 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,360 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Newsome
For me all in it was about $8K. Worth every penny. Done by my long time trusted indy.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:54 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,889 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Is car Manual or Tiptronic/automatic? No mention of clutch from your PPI description so assume Tiptronic?
Also did dealer buy at Auction? Was it a trade-in? Usually Dealer will provide service history from previous owner if traded in or gathered from carfax and dealer records.
Was the original owners manual book in car with stamped service book?

Seems odd dealer has no service history and didn't provide any if car was traded in.
Looking forward to photos.

Last edited by groovzilla; 06-21-2020 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:25 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I think you are good to go, have done more than most. The only thing that you may need to do, is Serpentine Belt, which they most likely replaced while they did your water pump, BUT you wanna double check that. If not, it's a cheap and easy thing to do.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:10 AM
stiffler199
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 997.1 maintenance

For sure Belt, cheap and you can do yourself.

check Rotors and pads.

motor mounts are cheap and easy. Do those for your sake.

replace door sills and Interior touch items as it makes the car feel so much newer and yours!
Old 06-22-2020, 11:54 AM
heavysixer22
Instructor

Originally Posted by Scott Newsome
Sure thing - It was $1,320 all in for a new water pump, low temp thermostat, coolant, engine air filter, cabin air filter, and brake flush and fluid.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:59 AM
heavysixer22
Instructor

Originally Posted by autobahnburner
Suncoast Porsche is the only place I know of that sells Mobil PTX by the liter. You'll need 3 liters for the 997. They're a solid option for Porsche parts in general btw.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/00004320420L.html
Thanks!

I also happened to come across this same fact last night on YouTube watching the guy from Eat Sleep Drive change the trans fluid in his 997.1. He mentioned Suncoast was the only source for Mobil PTX in the USA (they sponsored the video).

I'm addicted to YouTube—watching people wrench and cook mostly. I cook a lot (especially now) but I'm not much of a wrench (yet?)
Old 06-22-2020, 12:00 PM
heavysixer22
Instructor

Originally Posted by stiffler199
For sure Belt, cheap and you can do yourself.

check Rotors and pads.

motor mounts are cheap and easy. Do those for your sake.

replace door sills and Interior touch items as it makes the car feel so much newer and yours!
Good ideas—thanks Stiffler. I gotta get brave about wrenching!
Old 06-22-2020, 06:17 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

In order: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, basic engine maintenance such as oil change etc, next fister mufflers, then paint correction and ceramic coating. Enjoy perfection

Quick Reply: New 997.1 C2S—what maintenance to do first?