Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 997.1 C2S—what maintenance to do first?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 01:08 PM
heavysixer22
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 69 Posts
Question New 997.1 C2S—what maintenance to do first?

So I took the plunge and have a 2008 C2S coming to me in northern NJ via Pilot Transport next week. It's in pretty good shape, and I want to make sure I keep it that way, so I thought I'd share the spec of the car and what I know about its condition and ask you all what maintenance or upgrades I should be looking to do in the near future.

So here's what I got—it's a California car that I bought from a dealer in AZ, and It's a dream spec for me: Cobalt blue, PCCBs, factory short shifter, sport chrono, and even a factory fire extinguisher in case I get so excited that I spontaneously combust.

I had a thorough PPI done at McIlvain Motors in Tempe, AZ, who I had a great experience with. I picked them after asking the seller who their local go-to's are and then finding my own truly independent shop. I didn't want their local buddies glossing over problems with the car or a Porsche dealership that does a superficial inspection. I wanted someone who really knows these cars to dig into it and tell me the truth.

McIlvain did just that, even documenting the process with videos and pictures and then getting on the phone with me to review them one at a time and answer any questions. They scoped the cylinders, checked the oil filter for debris, made sure the PCCBs were in great shape, and went over the rest of the car physically with a fine-tooth comb. They also did a full computer diagnostic including an over rev report, all the fault codes, and perhaps even checking the load balance on the intermediate shaft to make sure it's within tolerances (or at least that's the jist of what they said—I hadn't heard of the report before but he assured me it means the IMS bearing is likely doing its job and isn't creating telltale signs of an imminent failure).

They also drove the car to check engine performance, brakes, engine mounts, suspension feel and noise, even if the seat heaters and interior lighting work.

All told, the car came through with flying colors—the shop was VERY complimentary.

With 47,000 miles on it, they told me to think about doing the water pump soon, so I asked them to do it before the car shipped. They installed a new water pump and low temp thermostat, a new engine air filter, a new cabin air filter, and flushed the brake lines. I also had them replace the spark plugs when they scoped the engine.

So, 47,000 miles on the clock, new water pump and thermostat, new plugs, new filters and a clean bill of health. Scott at McIlvain said with the all/most of the components of the 60k service now done, I'll likely just need to do oil changes and enjoy the car for a while, with the possible exception of new tires at the end of the summer (they are 2016 and 17 date codes).

So, with all of that detail shared, do you guys have any other things you'd look to update or upgrade?
Old 06-20-2020, 01:39 PM
heavysixer22
Instructor

I should also note that I've already purchased a CTEK battery conditioner and the cigarette plug charger to keep the battery from draining. First heard about this issue on Richard Porter's Smith and Sniff podcast and then found lots of scary stories and good solutions here.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:00 PM
TheTorch
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 275 Posts

Italian tuneup and you should be good for a while.
The following 3 users liked this post by TheTorch:
Hella-Buggin' (06-21-2020), linderpat (06-21-2020), tegraphile (06-21-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 02:10 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 548 Likes on 385 Posts

Coils. A relatively cheap insurance.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:17 PM
heavysixer22
Instructor

I actually had to Google "Italian tuneup" (such a noob) but now I agree that this is one of the first things I'll do (and repeat doing).
The following users liked this post:
linderpat (06-21-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 02:19 PM
heavysixer22
Instructor

Originally Posted by Khloesdad
Coils. A relatively cheap insurance.
Good advice. I regret not asking them to do this when they were scoping the car, but it wasn't on my radar then.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:29 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,224 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Perhaps you've already had the engine drive belt replaced. If not, it may be a good idea to do so.

(Recommendation is to replace every 6yrs / 48k miles.)

The following users liked this post:
Hella-Buggin' (06-21-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 02:37 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You've done more than you needed.
You should be good for quite a while.
Don't throw money at it needlessly. Drive and enjoy!
Old 06-20-2020, 02:43 PM
heavysixer22
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Perhaps you've already had the engine drive belt replaced. If not, it may be a good idea to do so.

(Recommendation is to replace every 6yrs / 48k miles.)
Ha ha, I was thinking about that. I was watching a 997.1 maintenance video on YouTube last night and they took off the air box to replace the filter, exposing the drive belt. I immediately thought of my car and what condition it might be in.

I'm not sure if it has been replaced, but wasn't recommended by the PPI guys, and they were really detailed but also realistic, so I'm hoping it's solid for now.

My next step is finding a local indy in northern NJ where I live, so I'll bring up the engine drive belt when I go in for the first oil change (if I don't do it myself). Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 06-20-2020, 02:45 PM
heavysixer22
Instructor

Originally Posted by ogun228
You've done more than you needed.
You should be good for quite a while.
Don't throw money at it needlessly. Drive and enjoy!
I hope so, Ogun!

I see you're in NNJ. Do you have an indy you trust?
Old 06-20-2020, 03:40 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

The cable that connects the battery,starter,alternator. Clean out front radiators. Serpentine belt. Thermostat. Cabin filter brake flush battery.
Old 06-20-2020, 04:01 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

"I see you're in NNJ. Do you have an indy you trust?"
Yes. Apex Motor Werks 1007 Paulison Ave, Clifton, NJ.
They are 2 young Porsche and BMW fanatics who
are active in the Club and Club racing. Give them a try.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:03 AM
heavysixer22
Instructor

Originally Posted by ogun228
"I see you're in NNJ. Do you have an indy you trust?"
Yes. Apex Motor Werks 1007 Paulison Ave, Clifton, NJ.
They are 2 young Porsche and BMW fanatics who
are active in the Club and Club racing. Give them a try.
Thanks for the recommendation— I’ll check them out!
Old 06-21-2020, 08:08 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,360 Likes on 1,284 Posts

At some point you'll want to replace the air oil separater (AOS) and watch the coolant tank for leaks, as they get brittle over time and can crack. Also make sure the coolant tank cap (it's blue) ends in p/n 04 or higher. The earlier caps leak and you can lose coolant just from that. Cheap upgrade. My 05 also ended up having a failed oil cooler, which was replaced when the AOS coolant tank, RMS and IMS, water pump and TB were all done 2 years ago (and clutch, this car really needs nothing for a long time as I think about it - good feeling)..
Old 06-21-2020, 10:44 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,491 Likes on 4,132 Posts

They really should have put a new serpentine belt on during the water pump replacement, and installed a new thermostat. Check with them on those 2 items.

Should have asked you about cool packs, but they may make it to the next plug change. If you start getting misfires, especially in the rain, you'll know they didn't.
​​
As mentioned, replace the coolant reservoir cap and keep an eye on the coolant level and that expansion tank, especially with the car being from CA and AZ.

The only other thing I'd do is a manual transmission fluid change. Use only Mobillube PTX - don't think about using anything else. It's a simple drain and refill.

Congratulations. You're going to love those PCCBs.

Quick Reply: New 997.1 C2S—what maintenance to do first?