Not your typical PCM Reboot Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 02:36 PM
wschomburg
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Not your typical PCM Reboot Issue

Hello all;
Well I have put just under 20K mi on my 2009 997.2 and am truly amazed at how this car performs. It is a terrific machine.

I have one gremlin with it however. The PCM keeps rebooting. In searching the forums I found that this is a typical issue with this version of PCM. Not to go into all the issues however, suffice it to say that after having the PCM replaced 4 times in a year without resolution I just wanted to move on so I went third party to get Apple Car play and and updated GPS. a Pioneer AVIC 5201. Honestly I liked the sound of the BOSE better but it is what it is at this point.
So now that this new entertainment system is installed guess what, yep. It too has started to do random reboots.

That tells me the original PCM's MAY have been ok. The next logical assumption in my mind would be a loose ground or power connection somewhere but I don't think so because I drive this car pretty hard, and even when driving on rough roads, rough enough to trigger my dashcam for "intruder detection" due to excessive vibration, is not when either of the entertainment systems would reboot. They only did so while plodding along on the highway.

Rather than send to a dealer for them to check for "intermittent" connections that will just burn up my time and end up with " I don't know" , I was wondering if anyone might point me to where I can find a schematic of the entertainment system for this vehicle.
Also if anyone can offer me some things to try to narrow down the problem that would be great as well.

TIA
Bill
I am not going to spend sleepless night looking for this, but if there area few things I can take a look at to resolve that would be good.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:24 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

My Cayenne did this after an over the air Sirius satellite upgrade. It would only do it if Bluetooth on the PCM was enabled - didn't matter if a phone was connected or not, just if bluetooth was turned on. I had the dealer update the PCM with all the past and to the current version and it hasn't done it again since - that was 2 years ago. Does the aftermarket unit you installed have Satellite radio - it might be tied to the satellite radio module more than the PCM unit itself.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:25 PM
wschomburg
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmm;
So in some of the iterations before having the original PCM replaced, flashing the PCM to the latest version was done and it did not resolved the problem. The subsequent new PCM's already shipped with the latest code so that should have resolved as well. The new unit DOES have XM satellite although it is not activated as I use Apple Car Play via a USB cable.
IIRC there may be a Streaming BT option on the head unit and I can disable that to test your theory. Only problem now is I only drive it once a month so this is going to take a while to narrow down :-(

Thank you for your thoughts
Old 06-15-2020, 07:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Your 'intruder detection' warning appears while driving?!? I would start there.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:22 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 230 Posts

Well, your Pioneer aftermarket unit is electrically much simpler than the Porsche PCM unit. It has power (permanent 12V, switched 12V, ground), the optical connections to the amp and the antenna power wire.
So my best guess is that there is either a short, because the isolation on a cable has been chaffed off or a loose power cable.
What I would do is to get permanent 12V and switched 12V direct from the source (the fuse panel) and then find a good ground connection and use these

Quick Reply: Not your typical PCM Reboot Issue