Sponsored by:

Clutch Interlock Switch Data Point

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 08:13 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Clutch Interlock Switch Data Point

There are a few threads on this topic but I didn't want this to get lost at the bottom of several year old threads. Boom C2S posted (in 2015):

"If you are getting the "Fully depress clutch" message, it is the interlock switch (white). About 20 min fix. See my post (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...placement.html). I do not recommend bypassing the switch. From what I learned after I replaced the switch, if you hold the key to the "Start" position for 30 seconds, it will bypass the interlock switch and start. I cannot confirm this.

Bricker"

Given my switch is failing, I can confirm the "hold key in the "Start" position for 30 seconds, it will bypass the interlock switch and start". I have a 997.2 GTS and kept the key turned and the clutch depressed and the engine did indeed start after 30 seconds. So, to anyone who's switch is failing you need not worry about getting stuck before replacing it. Hope this helps.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:24 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Tried this in my 2009 997.2 and it did not work? Held it to 60 seconds. Nothing. Anything I am missing?
Old 06-14-2020, 08:38 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
Tried this in my 2009 997.2 and it did not work? Held it to 60 seconds. Nothing. Anything I am missing?
Doc, how did you try it? Did you put the car in neutral, leave the clutch pedal out, and hold the key in Start for 30 seconds?
Old 06-14-2020, 11:08 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Get in the car and turn the key to the on position. All lights and fan turn on like normal. Car is always in neutral at this point. Turn the key as if to start the car and the light comes up saying to depress the clutch pedal. No foot on the brake or the clutch. I hold the key in the trying to start position and I start my phone timer. 65 seconds later after nothing happens I allow the key to go back to the on position.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:54 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

I was thinking about this a little more. Seems I tried holding the key in the start position a while back and had no success. But this was after a couple of failed attempts. I wonder if the override only works if it is applied on the first attempt. Anyway, this is what worked for me. Got in car, depressed clutch and turned ignition to start. Nothing happened. Kept the clutch depressed and ignition turned to start and after a few seconds got the “depress clutch” message. Continued to keep the clutch depressed and ignition turned to start and about 30 seconds after the “depress clutch” message appeared the car started. As I mentioned, it is a 997.2 GTS with no mods other than a Sharkwerks center bypass and a failing right front TPMS sensor. I suppose there is something in the ECU that will override the switch after the “depress clutch” message has been displayed for 30 seconds - but if the switch is broken how would the ECU know you were depressing the clutch, unless there is also feedback from the red cruise control (and hill brake) switch next to it. Unfortunately, my car no longer gets driven much which is why I have not just put in a new switch, I should probably do that soon though.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:32 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

I have a feeling your intermittent clutch switch happened to make contact for a second, 30 seconds after you held the key in that position since you also had the clutch pedal pressed, which is why it started.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:03 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Just tried it again and no dice. I had something like this happen with my last Porsche and it left me stranded. Don’t want to go down that road again. I may just see how easy a bypass would be.

Trending Topics

Old 06-14-2020, 06:25 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Petza914
I have a feeling your intermittent clutch switch happened to make contact for a second, 30 seconds after you held the key in that position since you also had the clutch pedal pressed, which is why it started.
You may be totally correct, but I repeated it twice this morning, using the same protocol with the same result (I’m a scientist, it is what we do). It is academic though as I’ll just order the new switch from Pelican and install it (no reason not to as it is such a simple DIY).
Old 06-14-2020, 07:02 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
You may be totally correct, but I repeated it twice this morning, using the same protocol with the same result (I’m a scientist, it is what we do). It is academic though as I’ll just order the new switch from Pelican and install it (no reason not to as it is such a simple DIY).
Please try it without touching the clutch pedal at all and see if it repeats.

Quick Reply: Clutch Interlock Switch Data Point