Sponsored by:

Choosing a Lithium battery.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 11:12 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Choosing a Lithium battery.

So I'm considering a lithium battery in the near future. Ive seen Antigravity ads in Excellence mag. The 2 choices for my car are: https://antigravitybatteries.com/?ma...ion=vpf-search

I have no clue which battery my car needs. In the case of batteries, is more always better?
Old 06-12-2020, 12:04 AM
63mercedes
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 182 Posts

I always used Die Hard AGM in the good cars, they redesigned the whole line a few years ago and that was on of the top ones to buy. It was like a 5 year pro-rated warranty too. I see the racing batteries and stuff, but at the rate the cars eat them it would be nice for a quick local exchange. I ain't shipping a battery back if it fails under warranty. I'm not hauling it to the post office and waiting. In my f150 I get the Walmart ones. The cheapest with a 5 year warranty and I can exchange it anywhere if it dies.

I'd take the extra 200 or 250 you saved and buy something in addition to a good battery. Unless you need some crazy cold cranking rating, a battery just kind of does it's job or it doesn't.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:50 AM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 185 Posts

I ordered an Anti gravity battery but they emailed back telling me they we’re back ordered. I asked for a refund and they kindly refunded my payment. To tell you the truth I was relieved as $800 for battery is a lot of coin.
The following 2 users liked this post by ilovemaui:
Ironman88 (06-12-2020), paddlefoot64 (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 12:55 AM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

$800 -that much? thought they were around $400 You do lose about 40 lbs of dead weight though which is nice.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:58 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
I ordered an Anti gravity battery but they emailed back telling me they we’re back ordered. I asked for a refund and they kindly refunded my payment. To tell you the truth I was relieved as $800 for battery is a lot of coin.
There's "a lot of coin" for a battery,

and then there's "A LOT OF COIN FOR A BATTERY!!"...

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKURSLITHIUM.html

The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 01:07 AM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88

Do you get a car with that battery?
The following 2 users liked this post by ilovemaui:
Ironman88 (06-12-2020), kru911 (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 01:28 AM
Matthew Scott
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I just bought a 60aH Antigravity battery. It dropped 40 pounds from the (non factory) battery that was in there. I can jump start it from a remote, and I can monitor it from my phone. I don't know how you can beat 13+ cranking volts and the state of charge offered by a lithium. It's like having two batteries in your vehicle.

I am all for it after installing one. I will be converting my overland vehicles.

Trending Topics

Old 06-12-2020, 07:24 AM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 270 Posts

I run lithium battery in my race bike, as every pound counts. And 40lbs is a lot of weight, especially at the height it is in the car. BUT 800 bucks is too steep in my opinion. And there is a product out that gives you the Bluetooth connectivity to monitor battery condition, of a standard battery. So, Until the costs come down, and they will, I just can't spend that on a battery.

Cw
Old 06-12-2020, 08:47 AM
PierW
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Lemme see...

A new set of headers/xpipe cats or a battery?

I'll have to get back to you on that one.
The following 3 users liked this post by PierW:
63mercedes (06-12-2020), ElectricChair (06-14-2020), Ironman88 (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 10:17 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Your tank holds 65 litres of fuel which is about 50kg. (110lbs) which obviously fluctuates and that weight is on top of your front wheels which make more difference than the battery weight at the base of the windshield to handling.
Even a full windshield fluid reservoir add about 9 lbs. Unless your racing your car, the possible 40lb weight savings on an $800 battery doesn't make a lot of sense.
I'm not knocking the batteries at all though mind you. Specialty batteries mean specialty prices from specialty stores that have specialty operating hours.
Get a good brand name battery with a good warranty from say a Walmart or Costco which seem to always be open.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:06 AM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matthew Scott
I just bought a 60aH Antigravity battery. It dropped 40 pounds from the (non factory) battery that was in there. I can jump start it from a remote, and I can monitor it from my phone. I don't know how you can beat 13+ cranking volts and the state of charge offered by a lithium. It's like having two batteries in your vehicle.

I am all for it after installing one. I will be converting my overland vehicles.
I installed a lithium in my Harley Breakout. Harley has a reputation for slow starting but the lithium spun it over like 24 volts. I could just touch the starter button and it was running {very impressive}. My cars is not slow to spin over but I was so impressed with the weight savings and starting torque plus Antigravity claims about 8 years lifespan. It is a lot of money but thats why I asked here. I figure theres likely several here that have one.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:10 AM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Haha, I wonder if Suncoast even stocks that. Thats a lot of $$ just to set on the shelf waiting for a sucker, I mean a potential buyer.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:16 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Khloesdad
So I'm considering a lithium battery in the near future. Ive seen Antigravity ads in Excellence mag. The 2 choices for my car are: https://antigravitybatteries.com/?ma...ion=vpf-search

I have no clue which battery my car needs. In the case of batteries, is more always better?
Good morning Khloesdad and thanks for the consideration. if you decide to more forward with it please feel free to reach out to me directly at chad@antigravitybatteries.com and we'll make sure you're taken care of.

One thing we've always said is that lithium may not be for everyone but some may really want to look at the details when considering and comparing to understand the benefits...yes, the light weight advantage is huge if that's what you're going for. Especially when you compare it to modifications and associated cost people consider for other things like exhaust upgrades, wheels, carbon fiber parts and pieces...but in addition to that the cost isn't that extravagant when you look at the big picture..it has indeed come down, especially when you compare it to the stock offering someone had linked previously in the post or when you compare to similar offerings from companies like Braille and others out there..., the truth is that it is indeed a more expensive battery in regards to material and to produce but from a cost standpoint it's also a battery chemistry that is rated to last 2-3 times longer that the standard lead/acid counterparts..so yes, you'll see more up front but that will play out over time. In addition it's just a better performing battery in the quality of cranking output, much more consistent and stronger than lead/acid options. Lastly, you have the Battery Management System and Wireless Re-Start feature, these will ensure you get the best life out of the battery and make sure you never left stranded with a dead battery...I think everyone at some point has experienced this and there's incredible value in knowing that's time you won't loose.
Please feel free to check out the vid below and as always let us know if you have any questions at all.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:30 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts

With regard to cost, I dropped $300 on an optimus and had to replace it 2 years in a row before I bailed on it. Stranded me twice. If $800 buys me 8+ years of reliable starts, I am not opposed.

That suncoast ad had this in the fine print "If your car currently has the standard battery and you're converting, dealer programming is required. If you have the 60Ah battery (option I194), you will need to purchase the additional mounting bracket"

Dealer programming? What for? charging modifications, discharging modifications? Would this have to be done for an antigravity battery?

Old 06-12-2020, 07:41 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,014 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by BucketList
With regard to cost, I dropped $300 on an optimus and had to replace it 2 years in a row before I bailed on it. Stranded me twice. If $800 buys me 8+ years of reliable starts, I am not opposed.

That suncoast ad had this in the fine print "If your car currently has the standard battery and you're converting, dealer programming is required. If you have the 60Ah battery (option I194), you will need to purchase the additional mounting bracket"

Dealer programming? What for? charging modifications, discharging modifications? Would this have to be done for an antigravity battery?
First, that is the older version of the Porsche Lithium Battery actually.... and it had about a 70% fail rate.... it was atrocious and they have since taken it off the Market.

Also, in general there is no programming requited to swap out a battery.... though even with a Lead/Acid Battery Porsche will try to say you need to reprogram the PIWIS with each new install. This is true if your battery is the same and about 5-6 years old, but in general is not needed since the charging profile barely changes at all over the course of those years. The programming is supposed to inform your car that you have installed a new battery and allow the car to change the charging profile mildly over the course years as a battery ages.... It was never accurate anyway, and it just allows Porsche to charge you more on a battery install. You can also choose a Lithium setting from the PIWIS system... but that is really only changing the profile for high sustained RPMs, for example if you're tracking a lot... but again our battery won't care at all which profile since it can handle them all.

So in the end, all things considered, you do not need to change anything... just a direct swap out with the Antigravity Battery and it has the exact OEM size so no need for any extra tray or fitments.... its Plug and Play.

Last edited by Antigravity; 06-15-2020 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Choosing a Lithium battery.