Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020 | 04:22 PM
SilverFrog
Intermediate

Question Engine knocking noise

Hello everyone, this is a tread I originally posted on FB and 911uk.com and I wanted to forward it there because i'm trying to gather as much answers about this as I can :

I'm worried about a knocking noise coming from my engine and wanted to ask if anybody already experienced this, since I got the car a year ago it has always been there and I can't find anything about it online...
Someone told me it could be bad valves timing, another told me it could be the throttle body.

Also this only happens when the car is idling (900 rpm)

Here is a video of my engine bay while the sound occurs

997.2 C2S early 2008 build

After a scope inspection, the noise really seems to be the loudest @throttle body, one of my mech friends told me it was totally normal
Peeps from 911uk told me it could be related to the belt tensioners, i'll bring again the car to my friend tomorrow and we'll remove the rear bumper in order to check tensioners.
Any people here already experienced such noise on their .2 ?
Old 06-11-2020 | 04:30 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Strange. It doesn't sound rhythmic, making me discount the idea of internal engine issue. Perhaps those with more insight can provide better suggestions
Old 06-11-2020 | 05:24 PM
sbbarnett
Instructor

A mechanic's stethoscope is inexpensive and may help you narrow it down. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2020 | 10:55 AM
SilverFrog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sbbarnett
A mechanic's stethoscope is inexpensive and may help you narrow it down. Good luck.
That's what I meant when I said scope inspection
Old 06-12-2020 | 12:09 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a misfire to me. Hook it up to a Durametric, enable misfires for all cylinders and it will show you which one is misfiring. When we're spark plugs and coil packs last replaced. That's usually the cause of misfires.

The following users liked this post:
TractControlOff (07-31-2020)
Old 06-12-2020 | 12:57 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Agree with pete. Or could be a super early/late ignition? Starting with the intake is still open?

I dunno. But I'd start with the easy, usual suspects first.

Cw
Old 06-12-2020 | 02:43 PM
SilverFrog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Petza914
Sounds like a misfire to me. Hook it up to a Durametric, enable misfires for all cylinders and it will show you which one is misfiring. When we're spark plugs and coil packs last replaced. That's usually the cause of misfires.
That's when it gets tricky, as mentionned, as far as I remember I always heard that sound from the engine since I got the car a year ago BUT, my hpfp failed before the COVID lockdown (on Febuary 18th to be exact) and I just got it replaced like 2 weeks ago, and when serviced I also asked my local Porsche Center to replace coils and spark plugs, so I can't imagine it's coming from these
Old 06-12-2020 | 03:16 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SilverFrog
That's when it gets tricky, as mentionned, as far as I remember I always heard that sound from the engine since I got the car a year ago BUT, my hpfp failed before the COVID lockdown (on Febuary 18th to be exact) and I just got it replaced like 2 weeks ago, and when serviced I also asked my local Porsche Center to replace coils and spark plugs, so I can't imagine it's coming from these
OK, but first let's see what's causing the noise. Since it sounds like misfiring, let's track those and see if you're logging any. Which cylinders will give us a direction, like if it's a single cylinder, a bank of cylinders, or more random than that, or maybe it's not a misfire at all and we need to look elsewhere.
Old 06-12-2020 | 03:50 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

sbbarnett has it right..... Get a stethescope..... you can hear if it is coming from a cylinder or wherever. Harbor Freight has them for $5.00.
BTW.... misfires usually throw a dash light in my limited experience.

https://www.harborfreight.com/Mechan...ope-63691.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Video of me checking out my pumps.... again, a whole $5.00 worth of effort.

Old 06-24-2020 | 06:23 AM
SilverFrog
Intermediate

Update : the car will be inspected @local OPC in a week

Also, while doing researches on 9A1 engine I found a thread from user Pho King Fast who posted a video with the exact same noise, take a listen :

Turns out it was the throttle body as he said in the last reply of his thread : https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ports-aos.html

@@Pho King Fast, what was the fix for this ? Did you replace the TB ?
Old 06-24-2020 | 11:49 AM
millertimefl
Instructor

Yes I had the same tin can metallic noise on my 2010 C4S some years back. It is the throttle body flap in there rattling. The plastic bushings or gear mechanism wears out. You probably have an unsteady idle as well. I'd just replace the throttle body yourself and save the shop fees.
Old 06-25-2020 | 05:49 AM
GTSpure
Racer

Update : the car will be inspected @local OPC in a week

Also, while doing researches on 9A1 engine I found a thread from user Pho King Fast who posted a video with the exact same noise, take a listen :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPjRzs2Nt7A

Turns out it was the throttle body as he said in the last reply of his thread : https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ports-aos.html

@@Pho King Fast, what was the fix for this ? Did you replace the TB ?
That's exactly the noise I had. exactly.
Replacement / Clean Throttle Body And in addition, equally important, check and replace the plastic breather pipes that connect to the throttle body.
They tend to crack over the years, which causes the throttle's butterfly to become confused and also cause unstable noises and combing.
Successfully
Old 07-30-2020 | 07:34 PM
SilverFrog
Intermediate

Update : successfully replaced the TB myself and the noise is gone, also rock steady idle and the car is more responsive !

The following users liked this post:
anewman (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020 | 08:29 PM
KevinA
Rennlist Member

Update : successfully replaced the TB myself and the noise is gone, also rock steady idle and the car is more responsive !
A success story! Glad to hear you figured it out and solved it yourself.
Old 07-30-2020 | 10:55 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by millertimefl
Yes I had the same tin can metallic noise on my 2010 C4S some years back. It is the throttle body flap in there rattling. The plastic bushings or gear mechanism wears out. You probably have an unsteady idle as well. I'd just replace the throttle body yourself and save the shop fees.
That's what it sounds like...

Quick Reply: Engine knocking noise