Sponsored by:

Clunk in rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 12:12 AM
darrenj
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Clunk in rear suspension

Trying to find a clunking noise in the rear of the car. Only happens when cornering. If I drive down a straight road at 40-50 KPH and swerve back and forth I can reproduce the noise. It happens when cornering to the right and left. Hard to determine which side of the car it is coming from. Noise does not happen when going over bumps.

Had the car jacked up and checked all the control arm bushing and the sway bar bushings and links they all looked ok without any excessive movement when I pry on them. I also tightened all the bolts I could see... control arms, sub frame etc. I have read about problems with the upper strut mounts but I would think upper strut mounts would make noise going over bumps.

Has anyone had clunking noises from the engine or transmission mounts, they are all original and the car is a 2005. Looking for any ideas or advice I am a bit stumped right now.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-10-2020, 12:16 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,190 Posts

How many miles on the car?

Old 06-10-2020, 12:17 AM
darrenj
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ironman88
How many miles on the car?

45,000 miles
Old 06-10-2020, 10:56 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

How are the motor mounts and transmission mounts?
Old 06-10-2020, 11:30 AM
darrenj
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
How are the motor mounts and transmission mounts?

I don't think either have been changed. Next on my list was to visually inspect the transmission mount to see if it has come apart. What is the best way to check the engine mounts?
(exhaust has been on and off the car in the last year, so checking if the exhaust tips are too low is not really valid)
Old 06-10-2020, 11:58 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by darrenj
I don't think either have been changed. Next on my list was to visually inspect the transmission mount to see if it has come apart. What is the best way to check the engine mounts?
(exhaust has been on and off the car in the last year, so checking if the exhaust tips are too low is not really valid)
There's not a great way to check them other than to measure to a fixed point with the engine hanging from the old mounts, then measure to the same point once you've installed new mounts and then you can see how much sag you were getting from the old mounts. At 45,000 miles, it's not a terrible idea to renew them, especially since the weight of the engine has been hanging on them for 15 years, but I'm not sure this is the cause of the clunk noise.

I'm getting ready to install some Function First Transmission mount inserts into my trans mount to tighten it up slightly. It's not torn so the insert can be installed without replacing the mount. I'm going with the softest offering since I don't want to add too much NVH.

Check the connection points on your LCAs in the location I've circled in yellow on mine here. That could rock up and down an create a clunk noise when turning back and forth.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:04 PM
darrenj
Advanced

Originally Posted by Petza914
There's not a great way to check them other than to measure to a fixed point with the engine hanging from the old mounts, then measure to the same point once you've installed new mounts and then you can see how much sag you were getting from the old mounts. At 45,000 miles, it's not a terrible idea to renew them, especially since the weight of the engine has been hanging on them for 15 years, but I'm not sure this is the cause of the clunk noise.

I'm getting ready to install some Function First Transmission mount inserts into my trans mount to tighten it up slightly. It's not torn so the insert can be installed without replacing the mount. I'm going with the softest offering since I don't want to add too much NVH.

Check the connection points on your LCAs in the location I've circled in yellow on mine here. That could rock up and down an create a clunk noise when turning back and forth.

Thanks I'll have a good look at that. Might just do engine mount as some preventative maintenance as well.

Trending Topics

Old 06-17-2020, 07:03 PM
darrenj
Advanced

FIXED. Rear crossmember bolts were not torqued properly. Clutch was replaced before I bought the car, suspect it was from then. Link to video showing the noise (apologize for the poor quality) Video
The following users liked this post:
anewman (06-17-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 07:11 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by darrenj
FIXED. Rear crossmember bolts were not torqued properly. Clutch was replaced before I bought the car, suspect it was from then. Link to video showing the noise (apologize for the poor quality) Video
Great. Glad you found and fixed it.

Quick Reply: Clunk in rear suspension