Sponsored by:

Leather Care

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 11:45 AM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,174 Posts

Originally Posted by linderpat
On the 928 forum, many have had great results restoring leather seats using Nivea cream - but it must be the German formula, not the US formula. Here is a thread on it (the guys swear by this): https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...a-results.html
Lots of commentary in that thread about the product blocking up the seat ventilation holes. May be a good solution for other sections of the interior - dash and tops of door panels for instance.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:41 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,279 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Lots of commentary in that thread about the product blocking up the seat ventilation holes. May be a good solution for other sections of the interior - dash and tops of door panels for instance.
Yes, but most report that the holes open up after a day, or apply the product to a rag first to avoid the problem altogether. Also, I imagine that just about all leather care products will initially block the holes. In the OP's car, though, there don't appear to be the pin holes.

Edits- yes, I do see the pin holes looking again, but the bolster is smooth
Old 06-08-2020, 12:52 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,174 Posts

Originally Posted by linderpat
Yes, but most report that the holes open up after a day, or apply the product to a rag first to avoid the problem altogether. Also, I imagine that just about all leather care products will initially block the holes. In the OP's car, though, there don't appear to be the pin holes.

Edits- yes, I do see the pin holes looking again, but the bolster is smooth
Lexol will not block the ventilation holes.

I think it all comes down to how badly worn your seats are. Lexol is great for maintaining leather and keeping it nice. If you're trying to bring badly neglected leather back, Lexol probably is not going to get the job done.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:21 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 130 Posts

Leather Masters -

Wicked good

No affiliation

Matt
Old 06-09-2020, 01:50 PM
BucketList
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 126 Posts

Leatherique doesn't block the vent holes, in fact the holes help the product absorb into the leather. Leatherique is a liquid that is about the consistency of 0W oil. It just soaks in.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:52 PM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

This thread inspired me to leatherique/prestine my 2009 997 turbo last week. The vented seats were no problem. The results were great. I will order more .
Old 06-10-2020, 02:16 AM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Very hot in LA this week so I just threw leatherique in my seats. Will report back with results.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:56 AM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

see pics below. Put the oil on at night and left the car on the street to steam in 90+ heat the following day. Early in the morning I reapplies additional oil cc side the seats had absorbed some. That evening when the heat subsided I checked and applied yet some more oil to the seats as there were some parts that had fully absorbed. left for another full day of heat and then applied the pristene clean and buffed them dry.

overall very pleased. It returned the matte supple finish you expect from new factory seats. It didn’t reduce creasing but the hide feels much more pliable now and it does not feel like it will get any worse. The seats were quite shiny before but now have a nice matte sheen. Will probably clean em up a bit more.

one thing I would mention is that it has completely resolved all leather squeaks in the cabin and has transformed the ride comfort experience. My wife, who generally frowns when we take my car because she finds it uncomfortable, said that the improvement was so dramatic that it solved a lot of why she hated riding in the car! Win! For that reason alone (more the squeak fix and less the wife appeasing ) I found it to be totally worth the process as I absolutely hate any rattles and squeaks.

my car has just over 75k miles on the seats as a reference point.

Drivers side buffed off, passenger side still with rejuvenator oil applied

Both sides buffed
The following users liked this post:
Ironman88 (06-12-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 10:42 AM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Thanks for all the comments. I actually have a few products on the way so if one works better than another I will let you know. I live in south Texas so the days are now reaching 100 and I wish I had vented seats. Cheers.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:58 PM
Tsilnner
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Viscosity of Leatherique Batches

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I was using Leatherique on my cars for years and it used to be fairly runny...like the consistency of half and half or maybe cream. I loved it. I would get it one my hands then when I would rinse my hands under water they felt like baby skin.

Then I bought two more quarts of it and it was a LOT thicker. I applied it to my leather sofa and it became a mess...removing some of the color because it just would not come off. I'm still pissed. It didn't react that way in my car but still the smell and feel changed. They had zero explanation for it.

Was yours kind of thicker?
First, sorry about the long delay in responding to your question-I just noticed your posts as I was looking at my site history..

I have been using Leatherique for about 16 years, using a bottle up about every three and all of the bottles, purchased one at a time, have had the same viscosity-"like half and half.."

I would contact the manufacturer regarding your problem as it sounds like you may have a bad batch.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:55 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Ripking
see pics below. Put the oil on at night and left the car on the street to steam in 90+ heat the following day. Early in the morning I reapplies additional oil cc side the seats had absorbed some. That evening when the heat subsided I checked and applied yet some more oil to the seats as there were some parts that had fully absorbed. left for another full day of heat and then applied the pristene clean and buffed them dry.

overall very pleased. It returned the matte supple finish you expect from new factory seats. It didn’t reduce creasing but the hide feels much more pliable now and it does not feel like it will get any worse. The seats were quite shiny before but now have a nice matte sheen. Will probably clean em up a bit more.

one thing I would mention is that it has completely resolved all leather squeaks in the cabin and has transformed the ride comfort experience. My wife, who generally frowns when we take my car because she finds it uncomfortable, said that the improvement was so dramatic that it solved a lot of why she hated riding in the car! Win! For that reason alone (more the squeak fix and less the wife appeasing ) I found it to be totally worth the process as I absolutely hate any rattles and squeaks.

my car has just over 75k miles on the seats as a reference point.

Drivers side buffed off, passenger side still with rejuvenator oil applied

Both sides buffed
@Ripking which product is this?

Thx!

Bob
Old 08-17-2020, 01:51 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Leatherique is wonderful stuff. I use it on my natural leather interior and it looks like new after almost 90k miles.

Leatherique doesn't block the holes in perforated leather. The only danger with the stuff is that you apply it liberally and you may soak the underlying material if you have perforations. It doesn't harm the leather in any way--i just foresee having difficulty cleaning it all up with perforated leather.

As for the OP, no cleaner or conditioner is going to fix that bolster. He's going to have to use a product with a dye to make the cracked finish blend in. My only suggestions there are to make sure the colored product works with whatever conditioner and/or cleaner that you use. Leatherique does make products for coloring leather.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:07 PM
Ripking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VT Blue
@Ripking which product is this?
This was with Leatherique's two-part "Pristene" Clean and Rejuvenator oil system. It returned new car smell to a 10-year old car. Enough said!
VT Blue (08-18-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 04:32 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

it's actually "Prestine", but don't ask me where they came up with that spelling.

Maybe it is a mash-up between PREServation and prisTINE, but if it is, thats pretty obscure.

Even with the weird name, its a great product.

Last edited by Iceter; 08-17-2020 at 04:36 PM.
VT Blue (08-18-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 05:07 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
The leather in my '09 C2S Cab is in virtually new condition (Dark Gray Natural leather - full leather option.) Ventilated seats.
In 2009, Porsche's Natural Leathers Dark Grey, Brown and Carrera Red were two steps up in quality over the Full Leather black, beige, stone grey. In between were the Special Leathers Terracotta and Cocoa. The prices in increasing order were $3,655, $4,085 and $5,165.

Quick Reply: Leather Care