Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Control Arms?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 10:14 PM
997ajk
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 154 Posts

Front strut mounts don't looked cracked or anything. Hopefully it's not the front strut mounts, looks like a big job to remove the struts.
From what I've seen you don't need to remove to strut to change the strut mount .

Take a look at this.

Another version
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-997-1-a.html

Parts + install documentation (bottom)
https://www.elephantracing.com/porsc...l-arm-wishbone
Old 06-11-2020, 09:49 AM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
At 9 & 3 I can shake both front wheels, a lot. I have a video I can share of me doing it, want me to post the video? 12 & 6 = zero shake

Front strut mounts don't looked cracked or anything. Hopefully it's not the front strut mounts, looks like a big job to remove the struts.
If you are pushing & pulling at the 9 & 3 positions and the wheel assembly is moving (make sure it's not a slow movement like the wheel is turning) but the assembly is tight at 6 & 12 positions then IMHO you should inspect both inner & otter tie-rods. The steering rack itself comes into play but that is a small % of being an issue.
If the ball joint (where control arm connects to the wheel hub or knuckle) or the control arm were bad then I think you it would seem loose at 6&12. I'm not an expert and you should definitely have someone look at it. If it were me I would focus on the tie-rods.
They are also the easiest and lest expensive to replace. Get an alignment if you replace any component.
Good luck, let us know how you make out.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:24 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

997TT owner here: I just replaced the front strut top bushings (at only 54K miles) and found the difference in ride to be noticeably better. My strut mounts weren't obviously shot when looking from the outside (like yours), but upon disassembly they were cracked, but not completely failed. I also replaced the bump stop and strut top bearing while I was in there. The strut top bearings were filthy, but probably could have been cleaned up, regreased and reassembled, but for the relatively low cost of new bearings I'm OK with just replacing them.

The other thing I'd note is that I'd previously elected to leave the anti-vibration pucks off the back of some new brake pads I installed. Big mistake -- the brake pads rattled around without the anti-vibration pucks. It was most noticeable as a clunk on hard bumps or after changing directions (like backing out of the drive) as the pads would shift orientation radially in the caliper. Front end is MUCH quieter now.
The following users liked this post:
997ajk (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 06:42 PM
GTSpure
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by snaphappy
Note: This is a 997.2 C4S with 70k miles

I have a subtle clunking/clicking sound from the front of my car - both sides - started on driver's side - but now it's both sides. The sound can only be heard at low speeds on small bumps. At higher speeds I never hear it - but I assume it's still happening - just the road noise is probably canceling the sound out. I also never hear it on big bumps.

At first I thought it was lower control arms. But based on this thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...n-clunk-2.html) it looks like it could be:

1) Lower control arms
2) Sway bar links
3) Both of those
4) Upper strut mounts
5) Loose tie rod

Where should I start? Is it possible something is loose and I could just tighten it? I'm gonna DIY
Hi
It's Lower control arms (parts 7 and 8 in the diagram) at 99 percent.
I had it in my previous 997.1 and starting now in my GTS :-/

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arms?