Sponsored by:

Head Unit Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 12:49 AM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 185 Posts
Default Head Unit Recommendations

I have done a couple of searches on this forum but did not find what anything of real value. I have 2009 C2S with Bose High End Sound with Nav. I would like to swap it out for a nice unit with wireless Apple Carplay. I was looking at the Kenwood DDX9906XR as an example. I don't want to cut wires because if I ever sell the car I want to be able to put it back together with the stock head unit.

If you have installed a unit with wireless Carplay and Nav please let me know what you installed and your review now that it is installed. Also, is there plug and play wire adaptors available?

Old 05-29-2020, 08:44 AM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...o-upgrade.html
Old 05-29-2020, 10:14 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

2009 C2S 155K miles

The 997.2 PCM 3 is a very different animal than previous years. It is not a simple swap out. The speakers are all wired to a 5.1 channel amp and digital processor located under the passenger seat. This amp is connected to the head unit via a fiber optic cable running a proprietary protocol unique from previous years. From there, a cable (fiber again?) goes to the sub amp located in the rear. Some say there is a converter that takes the analog out of a new head unit, and translates to the protocol, but it is not all that easy as the head unit decodes DVD A surround sound. I have read the translator does not work well and only outputs two channel... or something like that... and that assumes it does it well and sound good.

In short, if you are going to do this, you must install a new head unit and amp... must be tiny to fit under the seat. You probably will loose the center channel in the dash and the digital, proprietary sub out must be addressed somehow.... maybe the new amp will output a separate analog sub signal and the sub amp is then bypassed.

Anywho..... I had this done and it was a disaster.... replace the head unit and amp system. The installer could not get the alternator whine out of the system.... he ended up replacing the stock system and gave me my money back (big bucks! it was a high end system). We tried everything... different amps, re-locating the amp to the front trunk.... etc etc... no dice.

Others have done a complete system swap and love it.... it is not my experience.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-29-2020, 01:13 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 155K miles

The 997.2 PCM 3 is a very different animal than previous years. It is not a simple swap out. The speakers are all wired to a 5.1 channel amp and digital processor located under the passenger seat. This amp is connected to the head unit via a fiber optic cable running a proprietary protocol unique from previous years. From there, a cable (fiber again?) goes to the sub amp located in the rear. Some say there is a converter that takes the analog out of a new head unit, and translates to the protocol, but it is not all that easy as the head unit decodes DVD A surround sound. I have read the translator does not work well and only outputs two channel... or something like that... and that assumes it does it well and sound good.

In short, if you are going to do this, you must install a new head unit and amp... must be tiny to fit under the seat. You probably will loose the center channel in the dash and the digital, proprietary sub out must be addressed somehow.... maybe the new amp will output a separate analog sub signal and the sub amp is then bypassed.

Anywho..... I had this done and it was a disaster.... replace the head unit and amp system. The installer could not get the alternator whine out of the system.... he ended up replacing the stock system and gave me my money back (big bucks! it was a high end system). We tried everything... different amps, re-locating the amp to the front trunk.... etc etc... no dice.

Others have done a complete system swap and love it.... it is not my experience.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Thanks for the post Bruce. That rules out one mod I eventually wanted to do to my car.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:00 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

Bruce makes it sound like 997.2 owners have no options other than OEM. I don't use the HU while driving anyway but ... Depressing.

I do use the trip information and doubt that would be transportable to a replacement unit. That's nice but not terribly important. I use the amp for my add on Sat radio. That means more to me.

I'm waiting to read about somebody's positive experience on an update.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:01 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Thanks, but thats PCM 2.1. Won't work on my 997.2.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:02 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 155K miles

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Thanks for the reply. Exactly why I wanted to get some advice from those who have tried.

Trending Topics

Old 05-29-2020, 02:05 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

On a couple of instances while listening to music from my iPhone the sound suddenly muffled and I had to turn the ignition off and on to the get the sound back.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:07 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DzoniS
Carplay adapters? If so here are some that I've been using Carplay Adapters
I don't think those dongles add Carplay to an existing head unit. If it was that simple I'd be all over it.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:25 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
On a couple of instances while listening to music from my iPhone the sound suddenly muffled and I had to turn the ignition off and on to the get the sound back.
I've had the same a few times (2010 997.2). But in my case it was immediate upon start. One time required overnight before a restart cured it. I hate intermittent problems. This is the only reason I'm concerned about whether there is a 997.2 option.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:34 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd also be interested in a 997.2 option.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:11 PM
ilovemaui
Rennlist Member

I did run across this from Nav Tv. I'd love to now if anyone has tried this.

HUR

However, it says for headunits 2018 and older. I don't know if that means it won't work or they haven't tried.
Old 05-29-2020, 03:49 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
I did run across this from Nav Tv. I'd love to now if anyone has tried this.

HUR

However, it says for headunits 2018 and older. I don't know if that means it won't work or they haven't tried.
Their compatibility chart says

Porsche/911 Carrera 2005-2008 USA, Rest of World, Europe CDR24, PCM2, PCM2.1, PCM3 with BOSE
Porsche/911 Carrera 2009-2012 USA, Rest of World, Europe CDR24, PCM2, PCM2.1, PCM3 with BOSE
Old 05-29-2020, 04:01 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

Sorry to have been so extreme..... but that was my experience. I gave up with the installer... a very reputable one in Bryn Mawr who did my Boxster and a few friends cars... all with great satisfaction. I suspect, looking back on it, it was the Alpine head unit that was picking up the alternator whine as we replaced everything else.... even hooked it up with the amp and cables laying outside the car. I just gave up as I was getting ticked off. The installer thought it may be my alternator...... I came within a hair of replacing that. The installer is a stand up guy and he said he would give the money back, 100% and return the car back to stock... I threw in the towel... weeks had gone by at this point.... and as I implied, I got involved trying to isolate the whine....... We disconnected everything that could transmit to the system... anteneas, speaker cables such as to the rear etc. etc.... no dice.

Further, while the dealer recommended the Alpine unit as the best sounding on the market, I found how it plays MP3s from a USB stick to be simply awful. It would only play in the order the MP3s were loaded onto the stick. Wha? The Becker unit in our cars do a way way better job of managing MP3 files and will play them according to file structure... Alpine would not recognize file trees. Cripes. So I was happy to toss it all.

I hope some others who have .2 cars will chime in here as there are some who are happy with changes.

No another rub... or warning when reading other's posts..... the non-high end option in our cars, while rare, is another animal..... it does not use the optical outs from the head unit (same head unit) but the analog pins and the system is simple stereo. I have read.... no solid experience.... that the dealer can code your head unit to be the base unit and the optical shuts of and the analog pins become active. What this allows you to do is swap out the amp and keep the look stock. I personally believe the sub optimal sound is due to the amplifier not the head unit. But this only works if you want to keep the head unit but improve the sound.

The other option to improve sound is swap out the speakers. I did this for the Focal units much talked about on other boards. It was a heck of a job... Dremelling away... many hours. What did it do? Meh..... not worth it. Yes, the sound is better but not by much... this tells me the baddie is the amp and not the speakers. Further, a friend who had the base system in his 997.2 (again a rarity) just swapped the head unit and amp... wow, this sounded fabulous... and with the stock, base speakers. Best I heard in a 997.2.

Again, some made just this speaker swap like I did and rave about it..... me? I can't recommend it as the effort is far greater than the gains.

How I dealt with the center dash speaker.... most just disconnect it, but then you loose the 5.1 capability: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...speaker-q.html

One more thing... if you were unaware that our systems played 5.1 DVD A, then I highly recommend the DVD A of Queen, Night at the Opera. WOW..... seriously a real treat. Or any concert DVD you have at home your rack... pop it in and try it out... if 5.1, it will play it. Really cool.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-29-2020, 04:08 PM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 116 Posts

Bruce is right and wrong (but go eagles). We have a 2010 cayenne with pcm 3.0. We used the Nav TV with a new head unit. Works like oem, preserves steering wheel controls. Prices at over $600 just for Nav TV unit. You lose fader control. We did it a few years back, so we only have wired apple carplay.

Quick Reply: Head Unit Recommendations