Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truly Plug and Play Bose Radio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020 | 09:04 AM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Default Truly Plug and Play Bose Radio Upgrade

Went with Crutchfield to upgrade my Bose PCM 2.1 and wanted total plug and play system.
I paid $399 for the JVC KW-M855BW; $350 for the Axxess AX-PO90052 Most adapaters, and wiring Interface; $40 for the dash kit and $15 for the metra antenna adapter. I also paid $25 for them to prewire everything.
Getting old system out was easy several you tube videos (
) helped.

The new items had very cryptic installation help. Here are my tips:

1. The dash kit supports both single and double din install. It has two inward faces tabs, instructions do not say what to do with them, snap them off for a double din install.
2. use only tapered screws to mount radio to dash kit
3. The Axxess comes with three adapters, if you have no steering wheel controls you don't use one of the boxes (none of which are labelled).
4. They say remove dust cover from the most adapter, its a plug cover
5. None of the cables connectors were labelled, but fortunately they are all different sizes so will only fit in one location
6. The factory radio has to antenna mounts, beige and black, only use the black connector
7. I ran the mic and gps around the driver's side, the gps up the door frame behind the rubber seal and mounted below windshield in the left corner.
8. The mic went up the bottom dash over and clipped on top of the steering wheel.
9. I did not add a backup camera, but I may in the future, so I dug up an old yellow rca cord and connected to the short rear back up in cable and tucked the extra cable in easy reach.
10. I ran the USB cables (2) down the passenger side under along the center console. This radio has wireless android auto and bluetooth so will only use usb occasionally
11. The radio is held in by friction only (but was tight. You can also use the small lock screw on the right side to hold in place.

No splicing, no connecting single cables. Now if I only had somewhere to go to test!

The following 4 users liked this post by mjposner:
myw (05-26-2020), TopKatz (05-26-2020), VT Blue (05-26-2020), yvesvidal (05-27-2020)
Old 05-26-2020 | 11:41 AM
pascalemod
Racer

Thanks for sharing! Does it have apple carplay or smth like that? Im reluctant to rip out the OEM until .. OEM makes a replacement. After all, Porsche is now making it for 996. Yeah, it is 3x the cost but... all the stock stuff works. Id pay that I think.
Old 05-26-2020 | 12:10 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Nice write up, thanks for posting it. Has anyone tried the cheap Alienexpress MOST adapter ($80) with a non-Android head unit? It would be good to know how well this works. I've got an extra one here I'll forward along if someone would like to try it.

That 997.1 center console paint is impossible to match apparently, I bought two different kits and both were off. Took the PCM in to an auto paint supplies shop and the guy tried hard but still couldn't get the match right.

Glad to see this is working for you at a reasonable cost. Nice work.

Last edited by PV997; 05-26-2020 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-26-2020 | 01:27 PM
adamo
Instructor

Originally Posted by PV997
That 997.1 center console paint is impossible to match apparently, I bought two different kits and both were off.
The dash kit I bought for $20 on Amazon is a perfect match.

Old 05-26-2020 | 01:51 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by adamo
That does look good, much better than what I had. How does it look in direct sun? Mine was in a cab and the mismatch was most obvious when the top was open. Can you post a link to the Amazon listing?
Old 05-26-2020 | 01:57 PM
adamo
Instructor

@PV997 The link for the one I bought is here:
Amazon Amazon
Mine's also in a cab, and it looks the same, top up or down.
The following users liked this post:
PV997 (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020 | 02:01 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

nice! best I've seen so far.

Originally Posted by adamo

Old 05-26-2020 | 09:23 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Which Alpine head unit is that?
Old 05-26-2020 | 09:26 PM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Does it have apple carplay or smth like that?

Yes both Apple car play and android auto and both wireless.
Old 05-26-2020 | 11:22 PM
adamo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Michaelc
Which Alpine head unit is that?
Not sure who you're asking. If you're asking about mine, it's the ILX-W650.

Fantastic unit, but there are some things that aren't perfect. I left a full review on crutchfield.com, but briefly:

Only one USB port, swipe motions only work in native Alpine mode, and not with Android Auto or CarPlay.
The tuner is horrible. Like, the worst I have ever experienced, in any car I have ever owned. It seems like a bird flying over the car will cause the satellite radio to cut out (ok, slight exaggeration, but the tuner sucks. For Sirius/XM and FM. Haven't used AM. Wired connection for both.
Wireless Android Auto or CarPlay not available.
Cannot change the splash screen to the Porsche logo, for a more OEM look (Alpine lets you do it with their other units).

The sound quality is fantastic. I kept the Bose amp and speakers (with a $120 MOST adapter).
The sound shaping options are great- I can get terrific sound. It does have a bit of of a glitch with the phone when connected via cable.
The sound quality for the first 30 seconds is fine, then gets scratchy and you can't hear anything.
No issues with just Bluetooth connection. Hopefully a software issue that will be addressed with a future firmware update.

It's only about $300, so a decent value, bit I'd probably go with the Sony or a Kenwood again next time.

Last edited by adamo; 05-27-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-27-2020 | 11:39 AM
CC221
Advanced

Originally Posted by mjposner
Went with Crutchfield to upgrade my Bose PCM 2.1 and wanted total plug and play system.
I paid $399 for the JVC KW-M855BW; $350 for the Axxess AX-PO90052 Most adapaters, and wiring Interface; $40 for the dash kit and $15 for the metra antenna adapter. I also paid $25 for them to prewire everything.
Getting old system out was easy several you tube videos (
) helped.

The new items had very cryptic installation help. Here are my tips:

1. The dash kit supports both single and double din install. It has two inward faces tabs, instructions do not say what to do with them, snap them off for a double din install.
2. use only tapered screws to mount radio to dash kit
3. The Axxess comes with three adapters, if you have no steering wheel controls you don't use one of the boxes (none of which are labelled).
4. They say remove dust cover from the most adapter, its a plug cover
5. None of the cables connectors were labelled, but fortunately they are all different sizes so will only fit in one location
6. The factory radio has to antenna mounts, beige and black, only use the black connector
7. I ran the mic and gps around the driver's side, the gps up the door frame behind the rubber seal and mounted below windshield in the left corner.
8. The mic went up the bottom dash over and clipped on top of the steering wheel.
9. I did not add a backup camera, but I may in the future, so I dug up an old yellow rca cord and connected to the short rear back up in cable and tucked the extra cable in easy reach.
10. I ran the USB cables (2) down the passenger side under along the center console. This radio has wireless android auto and bluetooth so will only use usb occasionally
11. The radio is held in by friction only (but was tight. You can also use the small lock screw on the right side to hold in place.

No splicing, no connecting single cables. Now if I only had somewhere to go to test!

mjposner- Great post and perfect timing. I have similar items on order, just waiting for it to come in. Thanks for the details and feedback!
Old 05-29-2020 | 08:52 AM
mjposner
Rennlist Member

Went for first drive and a chance to use the new JVC. Would not recognize my ancient 80gb iPod, manuals states oldest is 6th gen Touch (may by one on woot for $100). I connected my Samsung via bluetooth and andorid auto worked wirelessly. Music sounds fine so far. More tests to come.
Old 05-30-2020 | 03:50 PM
Nandith
5th Gear

Could the 996 PCM Classic that’s been released fit on 997 and 997.2s? Anyone know about that?
​​​​​​I have been looking for a CarPlay integration on my 997.2 C2S 09 for sometime.
The current Bovee 1000 works fine. And mounting the phone near the windscreen.
Old 05-30-2020 | 05:44 PM
cringely
Racer

Originally Posted by Nandith
Could the 996 PCM Classic that’s been released fit on 997 and 997.2s? Anyone know about that?
​​​​​​I have been looking for a CarPlay integration on my 997.2 C2S 09 for sometime.
The current Bovee 1000 works fine. And mounting the phone near the windscreen.
To my knowledge, no, the 996 PCM Classic will not fit on either 997. However, if enough of us e-mail Porsche (two of us already have), perhaps Porsche will realize that there is a demand and produce one for the 997s.
Old 08-19-2020 | 02:49 PM
mgb
7th Gear

Originally Posted by mjposner
Went for first drive and a chance to use the new JVC. Would not recognize my ancient 80gb iPod, manuals states oldest is 6th gen Touch (may by one on woot for $100). I connected my Samsung via bluetooth and andorid auto worked wirelessly. Music sounds fine so far. More tests to come.
Hi there,

I'm currently looking at the same wiring interface, AX-PO90052 and a head unit from Crutchfield. You mentioned you had them pre wire everything for $25. Firstly do you think it was worth them doing it? Secondly I don't see an option for that online, was it something you ordered via phone?

Quick Reply: Truly Plug and Play Bose Radio Upgrade