Sponsored by:

997 PDK with Paddle shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 06:18 AM
Merino55
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 997 PDK with Paddle shift

Hi, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with 2011 997.2 PDK with paddle shift. Are they very common as I have even seen early 991's with PDK and thumb shift, your thoughts would be most appreciated...... from Aus 🦘🦘🦘

Last edited by Merino55; 05-27-2020 at 06:20 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 05-27-2020, 10:58 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,013 Posts

I have a 2009 4s PDK with paddle shifters as shown below. The car is relatively new to me so i don't have lots of experience with them.

The following users liked this post:
Merino55 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 11:36 AM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I like thumb alot better than paddles. its easier. takes less hand use and you can keep full hand on the wheel. I like the multifunction wheel alot better, its got the other functions additionally
The following 3 users liked this post by OKB:
Ironman88 (05-27-2020), Merino55 (05-27-2020), voiceprint1 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 11:39 AM
crp6
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

2011 C4S with paddle shift. I've had the car since February and honestly haven't used the paddle shifters all but 2 times and for not that long each time. I've always disliked paddle shifters in other cars I've owned and think it is a bit akward in general.

I will say that I do like how there paddles are set up on the wheel, if one were to use them often the ergonomics of position and placement feel very natural.

Merino55 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 12:57 PM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Merino55
Hi, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with 2011 997.2 PDK with paddle shift. Are they very common as I have even seen early 991's with PDK and thumb shift, your thoughts would be most appreciated...... from Aus 🦘🦘🦘
Afraid I cannot comment on the how prevalent paddle shift is vs. thumb. However, the 997.2 PDK + paddle shift is excellent in my opinion. The shifters simply feel solid and precise. I enjoy using them so much that, together with direct engine speed engagement, I drive in manual mode roughly 95% of the time.

Merino55 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 02:04 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

I have buttons in my 2010 997 that I really like. We have paddles on my wife's car that require more disconnect from the steering. I'll admit here that I'm splitting hairs. Either is good.

But from what I've read if you tend to grip the wheel the buttons may not be as good since you may accidentally activate them. I "fingertip" drive (better feedback for me) and don't have a problem. Likewise because of the way I hold the wheel the paddles don't work as well for me since they are a distance away requiring a major shift in position to use. It's an individual thing.

Note ... I was taught to drive without wrapping my thumb around the wheel. Older steering systems could spin the wheel if you hit an aberration and this could break your thumbs. I've experienced that wheel spin multiple times during slow speed off roading maneuvers. The wheel can spin so quickly that it is just a blur. And the power is beyond what your normal grip would stop. And I believe the broken thumbs are a real possibility.

Edit ... Switches converted to paddles in 2011 when Porsche succumbed to pressures to conform to paddles that others were using.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
Ironman88 (05-27-2020), Merino55 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 05:28 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 90 Posts

I am not a big fan of the button shifting, I tried the paddle setup in a boxster w/PDK and the travel on the paddle seemed very long to me, and it seemed like a longer reach. The PDK gear shifter is what I like the best. I drove a GTI with paddle shifters, and it was very good, mostly because the paddles were smaller and mounted right up against the wheel, making it very quick to operate.
Merino55 (05-27-2020)

Trending Topics

Old 05-27-2020, 06:16 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I have buttons in my 2010 997 that I really like. We have paddles on my wife's car that require more disconnect from the steering. I'll admit here that I'm splitting hairs. Either is good.

But from what I've read if you tend to grip the wheel the buttons may not be as good since you may accidentally activate them. I "fingertip" drive (better feedback for me) and don't have a problem. Likewise because of the way I hold the wheel the paddles don't work as well for me since they are a distance away requiring a major shift in position to use. It's an individual thing.

Note ... I was taught to drive without wrapping my thumb around the wheel. Older steering systems could spin the wheel if you hit an aberration and this could break your thumbs. I've experienced that wheel spin multiple times during slow speed off roading maneuvers. The wheel can spin so quickly that it is just a blur. And the power is beyond what your normal grip would stop. And I believe the broken thumbs are a real possibility.

Edit ... Switches converted to paddles in 2011 when Porsche succumbed to pressures to conform to paddles that others were using.
Sorry to deviate temporarily from the primary topic (paddle shifters) - but I would have to agree with Wayne's comments about the standard equipment buttons. Initially I really disliked them - in fact, the steering wheel was something I was immediately targeting for replacement. My opinion changed with use of the buttons over time however. I actually prefer them over the paddles. And although I may sound like somewhat of a purist in this regard, I've come to the conclusion that I don't want to "upgrade" the steering wheel to a newer generation version. I think the Porsche engineers knew what they were doing with the design. I'm keeping it original. No "Schaltwippen" in my 911!

Merino55 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 06:20 PM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

I replaced the original button steering wheel in my 2010 997 with a paddle steering wheel because I found myself using the paddles in my Macan all the time. I never drive in full manual mode, but I use the paddles to grab a quick upshift or downshift. The paddle travel in the 997 is longer and has more resistance than in the Macan. I wish they were a little closer in feel, but I'm still glad I changed the wheel.
Merino55 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 09:50 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

I prefer to use the shifter. But, it is really just a matter of what you are used to.
Merino55 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 10:47 PM
Merino55
4th Gear

Thank you all for your insightful comments, they have been very considered and extremely helpful. It's my first foray into the 911 world and there are just not many 997.2 options available in Australia so you thoughts are valued, all the best in lock down...🦘🦘🦘
Ironman88 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 01:39 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
I prefer to use the shifter. But, it is really just a matter of what you are used to.

Same here, I've had both the buttons and the paddles. Didn't care for the buttons and don't really care for the paddles either but I'd take the paddles over the buttons if I had to choose. Have paddles on my current car but rarely if ever use them. The throw/travel is too long for my likes. First realized that after renting a Mercedes with paddles. Much shorter and crisper throw compared to the 997 paddles.

As soon as my car is up to temperature I'm in manual/sport plus mode at all times and shift with the shift lever. Feels quicker than the paddles and also brings a little bit of the manual feel to shifting with your right hand on the shift lever.
Merino55 (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 05:02 AM
Merino55
4th Gear

[QUOTE=sandwedge;16660766]Same here, I've had both the buttons and the paddles. Didn't care for the buttons and don't really care for the paddles either but I'd take the paddles over the buttons if I had to choose. Have paddles on my current car but rarely if ever use them. The throw/travel is too long for my likes. First realized that after renting a Mercedes with paddles. Much shorter and crisper throw compared to the 997 paddles.

As soon as my car is up to temperature I'm in manual/sport plus mode at all times and shift with the shift lever. Feels quicker than the paddles and also brings a little bit of the manual feel to shifting with your right hand on the shift lever.[/QUOTE

Awesome comments thank you, I get the feeling you enjoy every drive!! Thanks for taking the time to comment...🦘🦘🦘
Old 05-29-2020, 02:34 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

[QUOTE=Merino55;16660894]
Originally Posted by sandwedge
Same here, I've had both the buttons and the paddles. Didn't care for the buttons and don't really care for the paddles either but I'd take the paddles over the buttons if I had to choose. Have paddles on my current car but rarely if ever use them. The throw/travel is too long for my likes. First realized that after renting a Mercedes with paddles. Much shorter and crisper throw compared to the 997 paddles.

As soon as my car is up to temperature I'm in manual/sport plus mode at all times and shift with the shift lever. Feels quicker than the paddles and also brings a little bit of the manual feel to shifting with your right hand on the shift lever.[/QUOTE

Awesome comments thank you, I get the feeling you enjoy every drive!! Thanks for taking the time to comment...🦘🦘🦘
You bet, and yes I do enjoy every drive. Every inch of them. And needless to say, my opinion of the paddles is just another another opinion. A lot of people like the paddles so it's just one more topic that boils down to taste and preference. Another first world problem which we seem to have now and then around here but that's ok as far as I'm concerned .
Merino55 (05-29-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 11:33 AM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 120 Posts

Those of y’all with the SportDesign steering wheel, what is it’s diameter? Can you measure it if you don’t mind?

Quick Reply: 997 PDK with Paddle shift