Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 02:31 PM
GSXR750
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Boosting midrange

Hello Renn peeps

i hope everyone is well.

I was just wondering if there’s a cost effective way to boost the mid range on a 997? Top end seems fine but I don’t spend all my driving bouncing off the rev limiter.

is it via a software, exhaust or intake?

just curious.

thanks
mike
Old 05-19-2020, 02:42 PM
Hindsight2010
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Edit: I assume you are talking about a naturally aspirated 997 when I wrote the reply below. If you are talking about a turbo, just a tune will give you solid gains.

In terms of seeing a real, meaningful increase on the dyno that you will really, actually feel, the only option is a supercharger (though I would not recommend this). All the other mods like headers, cats, x-pipe, mufflers, intake, tune, etc.... these mostly make more power at high RPMs, the mid-range gains are so subtle you wouldn't feel them, and you'll throw $10k + for them.

A lot of people will add louder intakes and louder mufflers on their car and the placebo affect will cause them to "feel extra midrange power" but IMHO that is psychological. On a mid 300hp car, you are going to need a solid 30-40 ft/lb or more torque gain at a given RPM to actually feel anything. You won't get that with exhaust and a tune. I've never seen a single, independently tested, dyno sheet showing a midrange gain of 30+ ft lbs of torque in the mid-range on these cars. Except for a supercharger.

Best to just enjoy the car's power as it is and if you want more mid-range, sell yours and buy a Turbo model instead. Lots of midrange torque with those and they provide much bigger gains with a tune.
Old 05-19-2020, 03:13 PM
GSXR750
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hindsight2010
Edit: I assume you are talking about a naturally aspirated 997 when I wrote the reply below. If you are talking about a turbo, just a tune will give you solid gains.

In terms of seeing a real, meaningful increase on the dyno that you will really, actually feel, the only option is a supercharger (though I would not recommend this). All the other mods like headers, cats, x-pipe, mufflers, intake, tune, etc.... these mostly make more power at high RPMs, the mid-range gains are so subtle you wouldn't feel them, and you'll throw $10k + for them.

A lot of people will add louder intakes and louder mufflers on their car and the placebo affect will cause them to "feel extra midrange power" but IMHO that is psychological. On a mid 300hp car, you are going to need a solid 30-40 ft/lb or more torque gain at a given RPM to actually feel anything. You won't get that with exhaust and a tune. I've never seen a single, independently tested, dyno sheet showing a midrange gain of 30+ ft lbs of torque in the mid-range on these cars. Except for a supercharger.

Best to just enjoy the car's power as it is and if you want more mid-range, sell yours and buy a Turbo model instead. Lots of midrange torque with those and they provide much bigger gains with a tune.
Thank you, kind of had the feeling that was the case, I thought you could do it with exhaust and a tune like a bike

take care
mike
Old 05-19-2020, 09:28 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

I did intake, exhaust and several custom tunes. Car seemed to spool up quicker with some better top end. Shop that did the tune said 20 hp. But, still the same low end with soft spots in mid range. On the whole, it wasn't worth $10k.
The following users liked this post:
Hindsight2010 (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 10:55 PM
911mdp997
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Softronics

Give Softronics tune a try. Some improvement on the midrange torque. It’s about $900 - reasonable
Old 05-20-2020, 11:55 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,704 Likes on 4,261 Posts

As stated, you won't get anything noticeable in the midrange without forced induction.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:55 AM
groovy dude
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hindsight2010

Excellent advice! There's a couple YT videos dyno testing different intake and exhaust mods on a 997, even at high rpms the gains are modest at best. You can find a link here with the right search.
The following users liked this post:
Hindsight2010 (05-21-2020)

Quick Reply: Boosting midrange