Sponsored by:

GTS PDK Driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 02:32 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSpure
It's clear to me that while upshifting the foot on the pedal (like LC)
What happens in the downshift? Is it recommended to lift the accelerator pedal leg like a real manual?
I think much of what you're asking is a matter of preference. Me, I actually leave it in auto/sport mode until warmed up then I'm in sport + manual all the time (unless taking a phone call). Many seem hesitant about sport + in general. Never understood why. In auto mode it's strictly for track use since it holds the gears to redline. In manual mode though, sport + is no different than sport except that the shifts are quicker. Just like in sport/manual, you decide when to shift.

When upshifting in manual mode, no letting off the accelerator. When coming to a stop in manual mode though I get off the accelerator and downshift just like a manual. One gear at a time probably around 3,000 rpm. You don't have to manually shift to first when coming to a stop. It'll go there on its own once you get slow enough. Like I said, I drive it like a manual except instead of going to neutral I go to first somewhere around 10-15mph I'm guessing. Downshifting like this almost eliminates the use of braking too extending the life of both pads and rotors. But you'll get a lot of different opinions on this. Just stick with what makes you comfortable.
The following users liked this post:
byroncheung (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 04:35 AM
GTSpure
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I think much of what you're asking is a matter of preference. Me, I actually leave it in auto/sport mode until warmed up then I'm in sport + manual all the time (unless taking a phone call). Many seem hesitant about sport + in general. Never understood why. In auto mode it's strictly for track use since it holds the gears to redline. In manual mode though, sport + is no different than sport except that the shifts are quicker. Just like in sport/manual, you decide when to shift.

When upshifting in manual mode, no letting off the accelerator. When coming to a stop in manual mode though I get off the accelerator and downshift just like a manual. One gear at a time probably around 3,000 rpm. You don't have to manually shift to first when coming to a stop. It'll go there on its own once you get slow enough. Like I said, I drive it like a manual except instead of going to neutral I go to first somewhere around 10-15mph I'm guessing. Downshifting like this almost eliminates the use of braking too extending the life of both pads and rotors. But you'll get a lot of different opinions on this. Just stick with what makes you comfortable.
Thank you.
I also only drive in manual mode. At the same time, it's wise what you've written - drive in automatic mode until the oil and engine temperature is at a proper stage. I'll adopt it.

About Downshifting. I also lower gear around 3000RPM...
As for Stopping - I understand that it is recommended to let PDK down automatically for First gear (even though I'm in Manual mode).

By the way - I'm 2011 and my vehicle with an original Mid-Radiator.
Is there anything else / part to add to improve the reliability of the PDK?

THX
Old 05-21-2020, 09:52 PM
Risk3233
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Thank you.
I also only drive in manual mode. At the same time, it's wise what you've written - drive in automatic mode until the oil and engine temperature is at a proper stage. I'll adopt it.

As for Stopping - I understand that it is recommended to let PDK down automatically for First gear (even though I'm in Manual mode).

Is there anything else / part to add to improve the reliability of the PDK?

THX
I'd just stay on top of service intervals. Otherwise, IMO there's no magic technique for how to drive the PDK. They are brilliant gearboxes.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:01 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Thank you.

Is there anything else / part to add to improve the reliability of the PDK? THX
All I can think of is having it serviced on schedule. Seems like almost all failures as rare as they are have something to do with electronic items which are internal and can't be serviced or preemptively replaced. Personal preference again but I choose to use the launch feature sparingly. In fact I've only tried it once out of curiosity. It's a blast but you can't help but thinking it must be hard on the transmission. That said, there was a story of a Turbo where they did some 100 launches in short succession with no issues. Longer term for that car, who knows.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:02 AM
GTSpure
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

All I can think of is having it serviced on schedule. Seems like almost all failures as rare as they are have something to do with electronic items which are internal and can't be serviced or preemptively replaced. Personal preference again but I choose to use the launch feature sparingly. In fact I've only tried it once out of curiosity. It's a blast but you can't help but thinking it must be hard on the transmission. That said, there was a story of a Turbo where they did some 100 launches in short succession with no issues. Longer term for that car, who knows.
About launch control. Do I need to turn off the psm or leave it on (do not press the button)? Or can both?
Old 05-22-2020, 12:54 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

It was only 50!
Old 05-23-2020, 02:15 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

About launch control. Do I need to turn off the psm or leave it on (do not press the button)? Or can both?
Honestly can't remember. I had to break out the manual when I tried it to make sure I got it right. It's in there step by step.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:30 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Balr14

Oopps. My bad unless there's another similar experiment with twice that number. Did a quick search and only found the one you posted so 50 seems to be the number. Not 100.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:05 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Oopps. My bad unless there's another similar experiment with twice that number. Did a quick search and only found the one you posted so 50 seems to be the number. Not 100.
Just joshing you. 50 is quite a feat. Some without hands on the wheel... unbelievable!
Old 05-24-2020, 01:19 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Balr14
Just joshing you. 50 is quite a feat. Some without hands on the wheel... unbelievable!
Got you. As I said I guess it remains to be seen what if any effect that sort of treatment will have on that car long term.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:43 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by lurchphil
I drive my 2011 GTS in "Sport" mode after a brief warm-up. However, I turn off the stiffer suspension button to keep the ride smoother. Interestingly, the "Sport" setting will not normally shift into 7th gear unless your speed is very high or the cruise control is engaged.
Pretty much exactly what I do with mine.

Quick Reply: GTS PDK Driving